Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bought a cat

62 posts in this topic

It鈥檚 quite easy to get people wound up here isn鈥檛 it 馃槀

dont worry all it is聽in a loving home.聽

6 hours ago, shannon said:

No need to as you say "bung the poor cat in a river"! Tierheims are open for taking in lost pets,as I work in one. Please take the poor cat to the local tierheim where they will eventually find her a loving home.聽

I was just about to write that he is joking which is obviously not funny and then he wrote basically that he was. Weird kind of humour. Some people are going a bit crazy and have too much time on their hands to make dark jokes if that's what you call them. I don't even particularly like cats.

13 hours ago, Metall said:

This guy is a troll and enjoys winding us up.

Don鈥檛 take it personally I鈥檓 English聽

OK, I'll correct myself - he's an ENGLISH (mind you, he didn't say British so I don't believe him) troll who enjoys winding us up.

Putting him on ignore. Have fun talking to yourself.

Dear Metall, Just to inject a lighter note into this, and I see you emanate from Florida (lucky you!!) A person born in England from English parents can describe himself as English. Born in Wales, Welsh, In Scotland, Scottish. All these people are also British.

In my case, I was born in England, of Scottish and Welsh parents, so I don't have any 'English' blood flowing through my veins. I always tell people therefore that I'm 'British'. It's just by accident that I was born in England.

Of course the language of the UK is predominantly English, although many people speak Welsh and a few still speak Gaelic. Even the BBC has a Gaelic radio channel I was surprised to hear when last in Scotland!

I have a lot of fun sometimes, trying to explain all this to German English students.:rolleyes:

Once in America, somebody asked me if I spoke 'American'? I looked at him quizically and asked him what language that was?

Back onto the thread, we have a dog and a cat and love them both for what they are.Oscar 63 sounds like he might be 63 weeks old and in need of some therapy.

And Boris isn鈥檛 English, either. As a born New Yorker, he can only be considered British as per his passport.

By the way, my background is somewhat similar to yours, Acton! Scottish grandfather, Welsh grandmother, Tyke mum, Cockney dad!

What a mess! No wonder I became a nomad!馃槀馃槀

I don't personally know any Brits who refer聽to themselves as such, especially not when talking about themselves in particular聽or their personalities, habits or mannerisms.聽 Or when you ask them where they are from.聽 In fact MOST if not all the English people (and not "an English" :rolleyes:) I know refer to themselves as English, which is how I picked it up as well.聽 I never refer to individuals as British because I know that they themselves would refer to themselves as English, Welsh, Scottish or some other regional thing... but not British.

calling people trolls is obnoxious, by the way.聽 It is a tedious habit I wish everyone would give up.聽 You say "don't feed the troll" while stretching out your hand with a yummy.聽 Completely senseless.聽 聽And actually against forum rules.

27 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I don't personally know any Brits who refer聽to themselves as such, especially not when talking about themselves in particular聽or their personalities, habits or mannerisms.聽 Or when you ask them where they are from.聽 In fact MOST if not all the English people (and not "an English" :rolleyes:) I know refer to themselves as English, which is how I picked it up as well.聽 I never refer to individuals as British because I know that they themselves would refer to themselves as English, Welsh, Scottish.

calling people trolls is obnoxious, by the way.聽 It is a tedious habit I with everyone would give up.聽 You say "don't feed the troll" while stretching out your hand with a yummy.聽 Completely senseless.聽

It depends on the circumstances, Dessa! If Brits are talking amongst themselves, they tend to 鈥 localise 鈥 eg I鈥檓 a Brummie, Glaswegian etc.

Americans do the same if talking amongst themselves.

Probably everyone in the world does.

PS- our dogs and cats are Cretans! None of this mainland Greek nonsense!

馃槴馃槀

Some people are oversensitive about it, Dessa! There are enough Scots and Welsh who get upset if they are referred to as 鈥 English 鈥 when abroad!

Obviously, this is partly due to the generic use of 鈥 English, 鈥 ingles 鈥, Engl盲nder etc by non- Brits. And isn鈥榯 the Battle of Britain called 鈥 die Luftschlacht聽 um聽England 鈥 in German?

Little story- a year or two ago at our local beach, an elderly couple of tourists approached us and, not knowing us from Adam and Eve, introduced themselves in slow, clear English- 鈥 hello, we are from Wales, the United Kingdom.鈥

I found that charming!聽
馃榾

1 hour ago, john g. said:

鈥 hello, we are from Wales, the United Kingdom.鈥

Them with the funny language?

The eastern part of my county was settled with them and they still have a society called 'heco8#vpext' or something like it.

I was staying in Cambridge some time ago and was talking with a guy from Yorkshire who had a pretty good language even I could understand.

You may surmise my problem as a Bavarian..(with the Preissn):D

OOps this is a pet cat chat. sorry to be so rude. While I'm at it, rabbits are much better pets than cats.

5 hours ago, john g. said:

It depends on the circumstances, Dessa! If Brits are talking amongst themselves, they tend to 鈥 localise 鈥 eg I鈥檓 a Brummie, Glaswegian etc.

Americans do the same if talking amongst themselves.

馃槴馃槀

I found that most Americans claim to be Irish.:D

"'OK, I'll correct myself - he's an ENGLISH (mind you, he didn't say British so I don't believe him) troll who enjoys winding us up.

Putting him on ignore. Have fun talking to yourself.''

Metall - when you played hide and seek as a child, were you the one who closed their eyes, thinking no one could then see them?!聽:lol:

I identify as Welsh, but tell foreigners I'm British because from early on I found not everybody knows where Wales is. Any Welsh or Scots person hates being called English because it's wrong and we feel compelled to correct it. Call me Welsh or British, but NOT English. On Forms I'm British (now also German).

Just don't mix up British/English and Irish!

When my kids and I arrived at Gatwick airport from Dublin in February, we were surprised to see, soon after disembarking, a single luggage conveyor bringing in suitcases, before security. Usually it's a big hall with all the different arriving flights. So we asked an airport worker standing there if there would be (security) edited to Immigration. sorry. We were actually waiting for things like baby car seat, baby buggy. He pointed to a sign which said "UK聽and Republic of Island arrivals) and said, "It's all UK here, no border. See, Ireland, is UK."

I said, quite astounded, "Ireland isn't UK! It's UK AND Ireland." He insisted: no, Ireland is UK. It's all one. Look at the sign! It's UK! All British!' I tried to educate him that UK and Ireland are two separate entities but he refused to understand. My leaving shot was, 'Just don't tell an Irish person that they're British, you might get stronger language than this!'
He still didn't believe me. The British, especially the English, are woefully uneducated when it comes to Ireland.

43 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

When my kids and I arrived at Gatwick airport from Dublin in February, we were surprised to see, soon after disembarking, a single luggage conveyor bringing in suitcases, before security. Usually it's a big hall with all the different arriving flights. So we asked an airport worker standing there if there would be security.

But you seem聽to be puzzled as to why there was no "security" between Ireland and the UK (do you mean customs, immigration, or something else?).聽 This seems to be exposing staggering ignorance on your own part.聽 聽The worker at the airport was merely expressing, in admittedly rather simple terms, that in regards to his job, the two countries are regarded as one and the same, as opposed to other countries.聽 聽And though I understand your concerns about Covid 19, I found your comments (as did my Irish husband) on complaining about people living on the border having the temerity to cross over it grating.聽

No. I've passed through Gatwick many times from Dublin, and normally we would all go to the main luggage retrieval area. And we did have to pass through a security area previously; granted, a very simple one for "all EU passports". This has changed.

This is unlike flights from Belfast, which is regarded as a domestic airport. I've done both.

(I meant, in my first post, not security but immigration. Will correct this. Still half asleep, sorry!)

This was the first time that, along the corridor itself,聽a single luggage band, just after disembarking. I've never seen this before -- usually we all have to go to the main area.聽 Gatwick has been renovated and there are some new procedures, and this is one of them.聽

Trust me, the worker was not just saying the countries "are regarded as one". He was saying they ARE one.

What if 23andMe says you鈥檙e genetically 71% English, Scottish, and Irish, but your family came to the USA in the 1700s? 聽I only have about .3% Native America DNA, but I鈥檓 American... only because English, Irish, and Scottish people moved to America and fucked among themselves... 聽oh, and a few Germans and Norwegians, too.

i feel very comfortable in the United Kingdom. 聽It reminds me of Virginia.