Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bought a cat

57 posts in this topic

Hi

Bought a cat 

Can someone please give me a list of the admin I now need to do, chipped und impfed etc. and their approx. cost

speyed? It is a girl..

Thanks guysh x

Talk to a vet and get the price from them.  If not happy, talk to another vet.  Their prices aren't necessarily the same.  Aside from chipped, vaccinated and spayed, you may want to consider getting insurance for it if it's in an accident or gets seriously ill.

Some places they need registered, I think - we used to have little metal disks for the cats, which I assume is a form of registration.

Look on the internetty for vets to compare, as Leon says. We had a retired one here who did everything at just over cost price I think, but he has sadly stopped.

11 minutes ago, kiplette said:

little metal disks for the cats, which I assume is a form of registration.

Just google Tasso.  I believe it’s the microchip that’s registered with them. Vets often show a price list on line for routine vaccinations and castration/(neutering/speying).  Worth choosing a vet by personal recommendation.

44 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Some places they need registered, I think - we used to have little metal disks for the cats, which I assume is a form of registration.

Look on the internetty for vets to compare, as Leon says. We had a retired one here who did everything at just over cost price I think, but he has sadly stopped.

My vet is kind of like that.  A bit older and not charging a lot.  I used to go to a vet clinic but they were expensive, pretty much a guaranteed 100€ just for walking in the door.

I have a very good health insurance for all my cats. It costs about 300 a year (prices have probably changed since then). You need to check what is included. Mine includes yearly check ups and all surgeries included. But it takes time for the insurance to kick in. I believe it is 30 days with my policy.  

What do you mean by spayed? I know what it means but I don’t understand your question. 

Did it not occur to you to look at the costs of cat ownership before buying a cat? It’s not like it just turned up at your doorstep and you decided to keep it.

I didn't notice that OP expressed concern over costs, just wants to know them.

I agree people should be informed but I'm more concerned he has no experience with cats, period.  Still, he's asking good questions and you have to start somewhere.

Anyway @oscar 63 here are some resources (with the caveat that pricing may be out of date):

immunizations:  https://praxistipps.focus.de/katze-impfen-kosten-im-ueberblick_106228

chipping: https://www.katzenkram.net/katzenzubehoer/katzen-chippen-kosten-infos/

spaying: https://einfachtierisch.de/katzen/katzen-gesundheit/wie-teuer-ist-es-eine-katze-zu-kastrieren-kosten-beim-tierarzt-46159

note that many vets observe the fixed pricing tables - can't remember what they are called but maybe someone can fill in that blank.

you most DEFINITELY need to have her spayed, whether she will be an outdoor or an indoor cat.  You do not want to deal with a kitty in heat repeatedly - trust me.  It's unpleasant for everyone plus spaying can prevent certain cancers IIRC.  here are some gory details  http://www.bgshelterpets.com/more-about-heat-cycles.html

yeah I have had loads of cats before. I usually buy one for Christmas, you know, but usually its in the tierheim by Feb.

This is about our 8th, thought we'd have a proper go at it this time. cant bung it in the river in a bleeding lockdown

3 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

yeah I have had loads of cats before. I usually buy one for Christmas, you know, but usually its in the tierheim by Feb.

This is about our 8th, thought we'd have a proper go at it this time. cant bung it in the river in a bleeding lockdown

You sound like my old boss...is that you G?  He used to say there’s no point paying vet bills...just leave the cat there and let the vet rehome it.  Much cheaper to just get a new one! He was joking, thankfully...hope you are too?

oof I have a friend like that.  One of my two cats was really sick and he asked me about it at work...I told him and he said "hey if he dies at least you have a spare cat, right?  no biggie"

Our German coworker gave him such a look I can't even describe.  He was livid.  He didn't say anything though...didn't have to

"If you seek love,  buy a dog,... If you wish a lifetime of servitude buy a cat"   The exceptions are  Clarent and Lobster, my two beautiful and loving ginger cats.

Their only weakness is doors.  No matter which side they're on they NEED to be on the other side,.. Stat.

Dave the Barbarian

A cousin of mine was getting dogs like that.  Get a dog for xmas, have it put down before the summer vacation so she doesn't have to pay for a kennel.  She was on her 3rd dog when my mom told me that.  I'm not in touch with her so I don't know how often she ended up doing it.

Some ppl too keep getting pets but don't have the cash to pay for insurance or meet unexpected vet bills so in that case, they have no choice but to put down or surrender to tierheim.  IMO, if you can't afford it, just don't get one.

10 minutes ago, LeonG said:

A cousin of mine was getting dogs like that.  Get a dog for xmas, have it put down before the summer vacation so she doesn't have to pay for a kennel.  She was on her 3rd dog when my mom told me that.  I'm not in touch with her so I don't know how often she ended up doing it.

Some ppl too keep getting pets but don't have the cash to pay for insurance or meet unexpected vet bills so in that case, they have no choice but to put down or surrender to tierheim.  IMO, if you can't afford it, just don't get one.

Reminded me of this moronic woman...

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/28/daily-mail-journalist-shona-sibary-dogs_n_8054906.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAFaUVQ2RiIuYvGPr6N9F2YdmvVfqLAFcH4nCZn4BU_E3EmO8JLGhngpeb7jomLFM003a3XUhDer5nwP5xcC03Utbr8yjAqspwzZtOcug-p1Dt0K_nyMay155KOjs2VDrnsv-jAlVtHeNGBy_fYKODPmMBw-EQUlkHGO3Fl2je_If

14 hours ago, LeonG said:

Ugh... that is just dreadful!  

1 hour ago, knotheadusc said:

Ugh... that is just dreadful!  

It is. Thank God it's illegal in Germany to put a dog or cat down unless it's very sick. 

Also people put down or abandon cats and dogs when they move, which I also find reprehensible.  I currently have two American cats in Bavaria.  One of my former cats lived in Belgium, Germany, South Africa, Canada, and the United States.  It is not free to move with your pets, but I don't understand how someone can love their animals one day and then abandon them the next. Do they not understand what the shelters do to their pets psychologically even if they are lucky and get rehomed?

On 23.3.2020, 17:14:40, oscar 63 said:

No need to as you say "bung the poor cat in a river"! Tierheims are open for taking in lost pets,as I work in one. Please take the poor cat to the local tierheim where they will eventually find her a loving home.