Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thanks everyone...

61 posts in this topic

The post about Jonny got shared all over the area and some people made wrong assumptions that got back to me.  The lady who did our home check asked for an explanation, which I gave to her.  Someone else that she knew also PM’d me for an explanation because people were arguing about it on her page.  I explained, and shared the videos, which seemed to convince them.

I got a message from the “dead dogs club”.  The lady scanned Jonny’s chip and bagged him, then said we should call the police because someone has to pay for the damaged car.  We haven’t done that yet, because the rescue said they would handle it.  The chip was still in their name and we’d had no chance to update our pet liability insurance policy.  

I guess I’m also a bit gun shy because for the past year, we have been in a legal dispute with our former landlady near Stuttgart, who blamed me when her 17 year old awning collapsed after a strong wind.  She wanted us to pay her 2800 euros, even though we reported the awning had been leaning and her husband had tried to “fix” it.  We were told the awning was fixed, and it appeared fixed when I used it, but it was an unusually hot day and we got a sudden gust of wind that blew the awning down.  It wasn’t reparable.  

Ex landlady deemed me negligent because I wasn’t sitting under it when it fell.  It seems lost on her that if I had been sitting under it, the awning would have probably seriously injured me.  She repeatedly harassed my husband for money after we submitted the claim to the insurance company.  

Anyway, our liability insurance only gave her about 300 euros, so when we moved out, she made up a bunch of bogus and partially illegal charges that magically added up to the other 2500 she felt we owed her.  She also falsely accused us of stealing a refrigerator...  

We have legal insurance, so we had a lawyer write to her after she basically told my husband to pound sand.  She claimed that there were other damages that she didn’t charge us for.  Our lawyer wasn’t impressed and filed a lawsuit, which she apparently just got notified about.  We have never sued anyone before and had no desire to sue the ex landlady.  However, we decided to sue because she caters to Americans and she is very rapacious.  We complained about her to the military housing office, but figured that if we took legal action and won, we could have her permanently taken off the approved housing list for the military community in Stuttgart.

We truly are responsible people, so the ex landlady’s accusations and threats have really taken a toll on us.  Having this tragedy happen with Jonny, especially after the landlady drama, just makes me think that people simply want to point fingers.  When the lady from the dead dog club wrote to me about liability, it just awakened the familiar dread.  

I know the situation with Jonny wasn’t our fault.  I guess I just worry because we did have signed papers.  And we are already involved in a legal mess in a country that is foreign to us...  although I have been impressed by the legal insurance so far.  America should embrace that concept.

These legal issues do take their toll mentally. I had a similar battle with my landlady after my patio roofing was partly taken off during the Kyrill cyclone in 2007. The roofing looks similar to the one in the picture below. It's plastic and most of the edges were taken off, they were sharp and a danger and it wasn't safe anymore. Anyway she lied that I had taken over responsibility for the roofing when I moved in, but she had forgotten to have me sign it. After months of back and forth with the support of the Mieterverein, I had to get my lawyer involved, who laughed at her accusations, saying that such a fixture is her liability as it belongs to the flat the same as a radiator inside the flat would be. Her lawyer must have told her that she was in the wrong and to back off because suddenly she arranged for new roofing to be installed. The whole matter took more than a year to be sorted out and the whole process was nerve-wracking. It's not nice when someone accuses you of lying and you know full well that it's that person who is lying, not you. My advantage in comparison to you is that I'm a native speaker and can fend for myself verbally and in writing. Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed you'll win your case, which I'm positive you will. 

Bildergebnis für terrassenüberdachung kunststoff

Thank you.  We lived in her house for four years.  She had seemed very nice at first, although she and her husband were constantly over, especially during the first weeks,   She was very frugal and cleaning obsessed.  We had some other problems in the house.  They had a “water saver” toilet that kept clogging because not enough water was going through it to flush the paper.  We finally switched TP brands and started using a lot more water.  The clogs stopped and our water bill went up.  My husband paid her plumber without even being asked when we had a third clog, but when we moved out, she charged us for the first two times beyond the statute of limitations.  

She said we were the “worst” tenants she’d ever had and that we were dirty people.  She blamed our dogs for damages they didn’t cause.  There was never a check in protocol done when we moved in. We were literally taking the keys from the previous tenant when we took up residence.  She and previous tenant are buddies, although previous tenant didn’t even stay the whole three years, despite telling me that the landlords were so "awesome".  I think we got blamed for things that were done by her and other tenants, since I doubt ex landlady did a walk through with her and I know she didn't clean as much as we did.  We should have insisted on the protocol, of course, but she’d had several American families and seemed very familiar with the process of renting in Germany.  My husband did not get support from the housing office in Stuttgart because he is a contractor, so we had to arrange everything ourselves.  

Ex landlady became hostile and passive aggressive after the awning fell, particularly when my husband asked her to stop coming over unannounced.  She barely spoke to us during our last year in her house, which was ironically our best year there.  When it came time to hand over the keys to the house, she charged us full price replacement for very old things like the ventahood, which she falsely accused us of breaking, and the nasty carpeting that reeked of cat piss the day we moved in.  

Most ridiculously, she accused us of abandoning an “American” mini fridge and stealing her “nice” fridge (which must have been the one I purchased and have receipts for).  The mini fridge was a piece of crap someone bought at the Real.  It was there the day we moved in.  I even took a picture of it with the comment that we’d have to buy a new fridge, which we did.  The “American” fridge was plugged directly into the wall socket, which means it’s obviously a European fridge, since we have 110 voltage and different plugs in the States.

My husband protested the charges and the landlady wrote a shaming, condescending email about what dirtbags we are.  That was when we decided to consult a lawyer for the first time in our lives.

When we contacted the lawyer about our case, she asked if we ever had a Nebenkosten reconciliation.  We never did, and that is against the law, so she asked for all of that back, as well as most of the Kaution that was withheld.  Ex landlady had her lawyer write a scathing letter threatening us with a counter suit and including a lengthy screed about how Americans use too much toilet paper, although we only had trouble with the German “water saver” toilet, the other toilet never caused any issues, even with our American TP.  Ex landlady had demanded that we give her house back as if it was brand new, even though it was not renovated anytime recently.  Meanwhile, she wasn’t even doing the most basic of landlording duties, like giving us Rechnungs and making sure there was a record of the condition of the house when we moved in.  She didn’t even know what appliances were there the day we moved in, nor did she know that an American fridge can’t be directly plugged into a German wall socket.

Anyway, we finally got word the night we agreed to adopt Jonny that ex landlady wants to settle.  Not surprisingly, she lowballed her offer.  This is the first time I have written about this in detail on TT, even though I wanted to post in the legal forum.  I never did because I think ex landlady and ex tenant are “stalking” me online.  But at this point, I figure I might as well write about it.  I was really hoping that this would be an amazing weekend.  Ah well...  at least I have “met” some nice people.

My husband is a wonderful, thoughtful, responsible man, and he was never anything but respectful and businesslike with ex landlady.  She treated him like a stupid, irresponsible child, and she had no respect for either of us.  She particularly disliked me, and yelled at me, personally, whenever anything went wrong.  After the awning fell, she blamed me for that, as well as an electric Rolladen that was not properly installed and wouldn’t come down.  She said that was my fault because I didn’t use it often enough,  And she also yelled at me because there was a ball of Arran’s shedded hair in the doorway.  She said it was filthy and “encrusted”.  It took me two seconds to sweep it up.  If I had known she was that obsessed, I would have made sure to sweep before she came over.  But, a lot of times, we never got advance notice of her visits.

Thanks to anyone who has followed my drama for the past couple of days.  

I’m so sorry for your loss :(. 

I read about your landlord troubles on my thread with my landlord troubles.

You could have gotten liability insurance for your dog ahead of time (I think) and I think they could use that against you in the case of getting money back from the car owner. I’m not a lawyer, though.

But you do have legal insurance. I would just let them handle it at this point and keep your mouth shut (except to your lawyer). 

We have liability and pet liability insurance, as well as legal insurance.  However, we never had the chance to put the new dog on the pet liability policy, because my husband signed the paperwork the evening before he was driven down to us.  He signed the contract at 8:15pm and the dog escaped at 7:00am.  Our dog Zane, is still on that policy, because my husband never got around to taking him off.  So we've actually been paying to cover two dogs.  But one of them wasn't Jonny.

At least our current landlord is awesome.  He lives next door, but never bothers us and gives us free firewood.  And his son takes care of all the trash.

I just want to say how sorry I adore Beagles, and your dog was gorgeous. My family and I send our deepest condolences.

Here in Ireland I'm always astonished because many dogs are allowed to run free on the streets. You have to drive very carefully on country roads. My daughter's father in law has a little terrier who is always running up and down the village street. Sometimes she just turns up at my daughter's house. The first time I saw her on the street I tried to catch her but she ran away -- right across the road! I was worried and went to tell Danny, the father in law, but he just waved it off and said, oh it's OK she'll come home when she's ready. Coming from Germany, this used to bother me a lot when I first arrived. Now I just shrug is off. The Irish are a folk unto themselves. My cousin, who came to visit last year, says that Ireland is the Caribbean of Europe. Maybe that's why it suits me well.

Strangely, though, I've never seen a dead dog on the street.

Edited to add: and they most certainly don't have Haftpfichtversicherung for those dogs.

I come from rural Virginia and lived next to a busy highway when I was growing up.  People let their dogs run everywhere, despite the road.  When I started adopting rescue beagles, I definitely got out of the mindset that dogs should be running at large.  Beagles will get on a scent and run for miles, even if they aren’t scared.

47 minutes ago, NativeFraulein said:

I just want to say how sorry I adore Beagles, and your dog was gorgeous. My family and I send our deepest condolences.

Thank you.  I assume you mean the one we were trying to adopt.  I thought he was gorgeous, too.  

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Edited to add: and they most certainly don't have Haftpfichtversicherung for those dogs.

I'm sure if a dog bites someone, they'll say it's bad luck, the owner will buy you a beer and all is good :)

Last time I was in Ireland, every time we'd decide to set off for a walk, the dog from the next house down would wander out of his gate and follow us, same procedure as we passed every dog residence til we had a little procession down to the sea. On the way back they'd peel off one by one to their homes. All very relaxed! 😊

4 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

I come from rural Virginia and lived next to a busy highway when I was growing up.  People let their dogs run everywhere, despite the road.  When I started adopting rescue beagles, I definitely got out of the mindset that dogs should be running at large.  Beagles will get on a scent and run for miles, even if they aren’t scared.

our dogs were always free roaming.  The stuff they'd get up to...I am not sure how that continued.

our "main" dog - a basic black and white hound mix that my brother named Andromeda - would bring home other dogs, some of which never left, so she was always with a pack of her own making.  We ended up with a golden retriever/wolf dog that way.  He owned us, as opposed to the reverse and he was wonderful - so smart and gentle but it was clear this was purely by his own choice.  He was a generous dude.  Then there was one of the finest, most noble dogs I've ever known:  a mutant collie mix with an excessive overbite and a skin condition that left him stinking to high heaven even with regular baths.  As great as the wolf dog was, this one was wise and so very kind in spite of having had a very tough life prior to joining our household...really a special dog.  We simply named him "Brown".  As he was.

They would bring home deer parts, faces full of porcupine quills, skunk stink, and eau de dead animal.  They killed all the ducks in a neighbors pond down the road...repeatedly.  They had a scam at the local butcher where one would go into the shop to distract him while another snuck in the back door to grab whatever wasn't nailed down (my mom would regularly go in to ask what she owed him - no harm and he enjoyed their antics).  My favorite recollection was when our primary dog came home proudly carrying a big sack of chinese food from across the street.  We inquired with the owner and he related the event:  someone had just picked up their food and placed the bag on the ground while they were using the payphone out front.  Dog nabbed the bag and stood there looking at the caller, just out of reach.  Caller would put the phone down and try to grab the bag...dog would skittle just out of reach then taunt them some more.  She was really pretty evil.  But apparently the caller was laughing so hard he was in tears.  She finally took off with the booty and that was the end of someone's takeout chinese dream.  We never discovered whose food it was...

I love these memories but I am somewhat horrified at the same time.  Who lets their dogs do that?

One time, we took our dogs with us to an apartment in a beautiful farmhouse in rural Burgundy near Cluny.  Our dog Zane had a habit of slipping out the door if you didn’t watch him.  The owner of our apartment came over with escargots.  They had a snail farm, along with lots of other animals.  We had never tried snails before.

The owner didn’t speak English and he accidentally let Zane out.  It was getting dark, and my husband nearly lost his mind chasing him.  Zane finally got distracted by a big hunk of French bread.  He came back into the apartment carrying it with a huge doggie smile on his face.

The dogs had a great time on that trip.  They even met a sassy, hilarious donkey named Antoine who let them have it when they barked.  I got video.

https://youtu.be/fGQA4wFydkc

😂  Oh Lisa - What a great set of stories!  You just reminded me of the time I bought something to go at the local cafe.  My clever Pomeranian, Buster, was in the car while I ran a quick errand.  But I had completely forgotten to take the box with me.  🤦‍♀️  Returned to the car to see him nonchalantly sitting on the seat with a shit eating grin on his face.  Looked and saw the box was no longer on the seat, but was instead on the floor.  Somehow that wiley beast had managed to open that box, consume the contents, and snap the box back together. 😂  Now who could be mad at that?   

It's irresponsible to let dogs run wild. In Wales when I was a kid, dogs would often kill sheep out on the hills, usually at night. Once it was found out which dogs were doing it, they were put down. I was friends with some of those dogs and couldn't believe they were killers. It was disturbing at the time, though it hit home in my young mind that dogs are predators and should be controlled. 

10 hours ago, bramble said:

It's irresponsible to let dogs run wild. In Wales when I was a kid, dogs would often kill sheep out on the hills, usually at night. Once it was found out which dogs were doing it, they were put down. I was friends with some of those dogs and couldn't believe they were killers. It was disturbing at the time, though it hit home in my young mind that dogs are predators and should be controlled. 

That terrier I mentioned upthread, the father-in-law's? She's a right little devil, chases daughter's cat and would definitely kill her if she ever got hold of her. 
And then something happened -- my daughter has chickens who roam free in the garden. The terrier got hold of one of them and almost bit off the head. The poor chicken had to be killed.
The dog isn't aggressive; she's friendly and loves people, never bites anyone. But that hunting instinct...

But as for it being irresponsible to let dogs roam free -- try telling that to the Irish.

It would be like telling Indians to wear helmets on motorbikes.

Sometimes even when you have a dog on a leash, they can end up killing other animals.  When we lived in North Carolina, our next door neighbor had free roaming chickens who would come over to our yard to eat bugs.  It was a very rural area on a dirt road and the chickens were used to coming over whenever they wanted to.  We even had a pond in the backyard.  It was originally used for irrigation, but had since turned into a wild habitat for ducks and turtles.

One day, I put Zane and Arran on their leashes to take them out for a whiz because we didn't have a fenced yard.  I opened the front door; the dogs ran out on their retractable leads, and Arran immediately grabbed the wing of a big hen who was in the bushes just outside the front door.  He had her in his mouth for a couple of horrifying minutes before he finally let her go.  She hightailed it back to the farmer's house next door.  I don't know if she survived, but I do remember one time, the farmer was crestfallen because a coyote got into his hen house and ate all of his birds.  

That farmer was a cool guy.  He was retired, but still planted crops so he could have something to do.  He told us anytime we wanted anything to help ourselves, since he and his wife couldn't use everything they grew.  And when my husband told him about the hen, he was very understanding, realizing that his chickens were in our dogs' territory.

I really miss rural living.  Sometimes, it felt like living on a live set of Wild Kingdom.