Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thanks everyone...

61 posts in this topic

Oh this is awful. 

Six years ago our dog got away from the friend who was with her, was startled and ended up run over by a train. On reading your story I so hoped you wouldn't have a similar ending.

Oh so sad.

The delivery lady has this all on her.  I hope she does end up taking responsibility. 

16 minutes ago, kiplette said:

Oh this is awful. 

Six years ago our dog got away from the friend who was with her, was startled and ended up run over by a train. On reading your story I so hoped you wouldn't have a similar ending.

Oh so sad.

The delivery lady has this all on her.  I hope she does end up taking responsibility. 

If anything, we've definitely learned how important it is to have new dogs securely harnessed and collared.  This morning, I watched the memorial video I made for our dog Zane.  It was before I knew Jonny was gone.  I was already in tears when I got the news because I have missed Zane so much.  He was my special dog.  I was hoping I could bond similarly with Jonny.

I just saw on Facebook that Jonny didn't make it. I am so sorry 😪 Thinking of the poor,  scared puppy makes me want to have a serious discussion with the transport woman. 

Make sure to inform her employer or ask the rescue to do it.  She should not be doing that job.  

Please don't make a decision now wrt another dog.  Think about it in a few weeks. You seem like great dog parents and there are so many rescues that need a home. Most shelters in Germany are at capacity, let alone in other countries 

Okay... so the coordinator says that the foster mom tried to send the harness with Jonny, but the driver, for some inexplicable reason, said she didn't need it.  WTF???

The rescue is very apologetic and is going to give us back our adoption fee.  Even after all of this, I would adopt from them again... just not for awhile.  THEY have been professional.  It's the driver who messed things up.  Meanwhile, my husband is in tears, and our dog Arran is comforting him.  

We won't be considering another dog until the COVID virus is no longer a threat.  

Sorry to hear this and sorry for doubting Jonny's existence initially. Spending too long on this site can make you a little jaded sometimes.

There are still plenty of dogs out there waiting to be rescued, in case you change your mind about being a one-dog person.

9 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Sorry to hear this and sorry for doubting Jonny's existence initially. Spending too long on this site can make you a little jaded sometimes.

There are still plenty of dogs out there waiting to be rescued, in case you change your mind about being a one-dog person.

Thank you, El Jeffo.  I've been hanging out on this site long enough to understand what you mean. ;)

I'm sure we'll be ready for another dog eventually.  They keep me sane and prevent me from planting myself on the couch for too long.  At the very least, we will wait until we're no longer quarantined and can go get the dog ourselves.    

2 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

They keep me sane and prevent me from planting myself on the couch for too long.

See, that's why I like cats ;)

Seriously though, as sad as this situation is, I'm so glad the adoption agency is responding appropriately.  If you're comfortable it might be good to share the name of the org to point other potential adopters their way.

The rescue is https://www.protier-ev.de/.  

I like cats, too, but my husband is very allergic to them and they love him.  All animals love him.  He’s a very gentle soul.

I keep picturing the four dogs we lost after illnesses greeting Jonny at the Rainbow Bridge and saying, “WTF man...  you blew it.”  Our dogs spend very little time alone because I am always at home.  They sleep with us and get a lot of attention and good food.  I don’t have children, so my dogs are really doted upon.  Jonny never got the chance to find that out.  We live near a primary school too, so he would have been able to see and mingle with them, and our landlord’s children.

But I know he was just reacting instinctively out of terror and disorientation.  We learned a hard lesson that we’ll never forget.

It's so sad he never got to meet you! (A reversal of what I said earlier, I think, sad that you never got to meet him!)

I keep picturing the four dogs we lost after illnesses greeting Jonny at the Rainbow Bridge and saying, “WTF man...  you blew it.” 

Definitely! :D

32 minutes ago, knotheadusc said:

I like cats, too, but my husband is very allergic to them and they love him.

I was just kidding - sort of rabble rousing on the dog people vs cat people camp.

I'm actually allergic to dogs which surprised me.  Even if I weren't, though, I can't stand the idea of leaving a doggie alone all day while I'm at work.  No doggies for me til...maybe retirement?  and only if I can verify I won't be having allergy symptoms.

and indeed, every standoffish cat I've ever had LOVED those who were allergic or didn't like cats.  From my experience, cats prefer to take the lead in their interactions.  If you leave them alone or ignore them they LOVE you for giving them the choice to interact or not, whence they warm up more quickly.  It's really hard on the allergic and cat haters out there ;) 

My last kitty hated most people.  Except a friend of mine who HATED cats.  When he'd come to visit, Void would spot him from his perch in the window...get all excited, start meowing at the door...greet my friend so enthusiastically when he came in, all mreowpurrs and curly tail.

god I miss that cat.  my friend doesn't ;)

I got allergy testing in 2003 and it turns out I am allergic to dogs, cats, horses and rabbits.  But I have been around animals my whole life.  My first job was working for a veterinary hospital and I showed horses for years.  I have had dogs and cats as pets and I used to have a horse when I was younger and skinnier.  

Unfortunately, my husband’s eyes water uncontrollably when he’s with cats.  His mom is a cat person and he went through years of torture when he lived with her.  He likes cats, but he just can’t live with them.  He’s probably allergic to dogs, horses, and rabbits, too, but they don’t make his eyes water.  

It occurs to me what this situation reminds of...  we didn’t yet have a bond with Jonny.  We knew him only through pictures and the description from the rescue.  I saw him for five seconds before he was gone.  I guess it’s kind of akin, in a lesser way, to watching someone commit suicide.  It’s horrifying and devastating.  But we hadn’t yet gotten to know him.  He was as much a stranger to us as we were to him.  It’s still horrible on many levels, but it probably would have been much worse if we’d known him.  My heart is breaking for his foster mom and her daughter.  

I discovered my dog allergy through testing, too.  We had dogs my whole life and I never noticed any adverse reaction but apparently I am allergic.  No cat allergy though, thank goodness.  I had a couple of good friends with cat allergies in high school and after spending the night at my house they were a hot mess.  Just awful - I do not at all doubt how painful cat allergies can be - they liked cats too, but it was totally unworkable.

I know this doesn't sound right but I'm glad you didn't get to know Jonny.  It's just fucked.  Poor little bugger deserved better but was not to be for whatever twisted reason.

hugs.  really, lots of hugs.

I just explained all of this to the lady from another rescue who interviewed us and gave a glowing recommendation.  I feel shitty, although she wasn’t nasty about it at all.

I'm sorry about Jonny. I guess many mistakes by the driver or just wasn't meant to be. 

I was severely allergic to cats as a kid and also to pollen. I could spend max 15 minutes in a cat household regardless of cat being present and my eyes would itch, my nose would run and I'd be sneezing non-stop. I had an allergy test at some point and it came out I was allergic to dogs too although I had one at the time. I've never had a reaction to dogs. My allergic reaction to cats diminished once I was in my 20's and eventually went away completely and I've had cats for the past 18 years now. 

The videos I made for the dog we lost last year made a difference.  The rescue wrote and said we could try again, once the coronavirus mess is over.  But because it’s Germany, I still worry about liability, and people are blaming us.  This could have been Jonny’s life.  That is me singing on the videos.

https://youtu.be/ekG0Bmi71rs

https://youtu.be/gtdfMicqJqM

You have such a beautiful voice! And it's not just the voice -- your whole soul comes through. Marvellous! Thank you.

Oh God no. As a passionate dog lover RIP. Take care. Every time I take my baby out I worry about that. Take care.

8 hours ago, knotheadusc said:

But because it’s Germany, I still worry about liability, and people are blaming us.  

Who is blaming you and why? I don't see any blame on your part. There is no doubt that it was the pet transport lady and the rescue organisation who chose to hire her. You didn't even pressure them to do so. Their insurances should battle this out between them. Nothing to do with you. Don't let this stop you getting another dog once the Corona crisis is over. Next time you'll collect the dog yourself anyway.