Moving back to UK during COVID-19 Crisis?!

7 posts in this topic

After 3.5 amazing years in Berlin my husband and I had decided that we would like to move back to the UK for a multitude of reasons and I've been jobhunting for the last few months. I have a few interviews lined up (video, obviously) and am a bit confused about my options to physically move at the moment with the nightmare that is Coronavirus sweeping across the globe.

My main issue is, if I'm offered a job and need to quit my job / hand in notice on my flat - 3 months standard - what happens if we then in three months can't actually physically move as borders are shut? Does anyone know the rights to return to your home country right now? I've heard of people being able to get planes, but we have a dog and the plan was to rent a car or take trains back to the UK. Flying is not an option.

Am I wasting time with these applications? Do we just need to wait it out?

I've been put on Kurzarbeit, which makes our finances super tight and staying here longer is really not ideal. Obviously it's a crisis though, so we've got to roll with the punches...

Appreciate any insights or even just educated guesses!

Unfortunately no-one can say what will happen in 3 months time but you aren't wasting your time in applying for jobs and having interviews. Companies will also be aware of the restrictions of movement and I presume they know that you are currently living in Berlin?

Travel restrictions may/ will/ could get much more restrictive. 

No harm doing interviews, sending resumes , and talking to them.

But, be very careful you do not give up present job( and possible benefits) at this uncertain time.

Good luck!

My father and step-mother live in France in an area that's full of British ex-pats (mostly retired). He said his next door neighbours decided they'd rather go back to the UK - I think this was Wednesday - and were able to drive and get through the Channel Tunnel without problems. Obviously that's not crossing any additional borders; you might have a problem driving from Berlin because you'll need to go into either NL, Belgium or France.

It might be better to simply go now, or accept that you'll be waiting it out long term.

I personally really really wouldn't make any life-changing decisions like this right now..the UK in particular may look very different in a few months time.

21 hours ago, RedMidge said:

be very careful you do not give up present job( and possible benefits) at this uncertain time

This, really. 

I´m sure if you were successful in a job application you could make an arrangement to start later, given the current situation it would be difficult for you to start a new job right now even if you were living in the UK