Pregnant black German moving to Berlin for the first time with Kids.

64 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Lieblings said:

But on the other hand , some people’s response here because I am going to have four  kids are unbelievable.They know nothing about my past or personality and should not generalise. I just have a difficult moment now looking for shelter back to Germany. My greatest challenge is having shelter ,

I think most of us really are not judging you, it's simply that self-help platitudes won't have much traction on the ground here in Germany. The "system" here is not eager to go out of its way to help single moms, it's still modelled around a 1950s nuclear family, and there is enough xenophobia to throw a wrench in your plans at many steps along the way. Being a single mom with four kids is probably the worst of it though, as 1) you'll need an apartment size that will be nigh impossible on the private market for you and 2) many landlords will wonder how much of a headache it will be for them if things don't work for you (and I don't blame them, though no offence, I do wish you well). The current corona virus situation is really not doing you any favours either. You should probably wait a few months to see how it pans out.

As others say, Berlin is probably a bad idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_states_by_unemployment_rate

If you order the list from lowest to highest, I'd draw a line between Schleswig-Holstein and Thuringia and exclude everything under it. (Forget anywhere in the former East unless you're particularly adventurous). There are lots of mid-size cities in Germany around 200k-400k with a few industries keeping them active, and they are usually better places to live than Germany's crowded and expensive big cities. Almost anywhere desirable in Germany has a housing crunch, but it's not quite as acute as the obvious bigger cities. Also size of city does not necessarily correlate with job potential.

5 hours ago, Lieblings said:

the rest of the procedures will not be a problem for me once as I give birth to my babies. Housing advice/help is the most I need now.

In short, you would get all the bare minimums of state support. With twins you do get a little more, as does being a single parent, and I believe you're entitled to some weekly help from a helper (fetching groceries, etc.). 

8 hours ago, LeonG said:

Definitely for jobs I'd think.  Trying to find housing in Munich is crazy and Stuttgart is not much better.  You can find housing in Salzgitter but unemployment is around 10% :D 

I lived in BS for 5+ years, and though not all Salzgitter is bad/ugly or etc. from what I saw, it doesn't really have a good reputation does it? It still has some strong industry going, though I doubt much useful for a single mother with babies.

Just now, alderhill said:

I lived in BS for 5+ years, and though not all Salzgitter is bad/ugly or etc. from what I saw, it doesn't really have a good reputation does it? It still has some strong industry going, though I doubt much useful for a single mother with babies.

It doesn't have a good reputation for sure but it's not that bad.  It was just an example for her for a place with cheap housing but high unemployment.  Cheap housing would be good for her now but not so good later when she needs a job.

Does your late husband still have family here?  Would the be willing to help?  Friends still living in Germany?  Contacts are very important. 

Not sure whether it applies to you but as of April there will be no means-testing when you apply for Hartz IV due to the Corona virus.

Bundesarbeitsminister Hubertus Heil will die Zugangsbeschränkungen für Hartz IV in der Krise massiv lockern. So soll für den Antrag auf Grundsicherung die Vermögensprüfung und die Überprüfung der Wohnungsgröße wegfallen. "Wir sorgen jetzt dafür, dass die aufwendige Vermögensprüfung für sechs Monate ab dem 1. April entfällt", sagte Heil der "Bild am Sonntag". "Außerdem kann jeder weiter in seiner Wohnung bleiben", so der Arbeitsminister weiter. Die Leistungen der Grundsicherung würden schnell und unbürokratisch gewährt. "Wir lassen die Menschen nicht allein."

source: https://www.n-tv.de/panorama/15-44-Jeder-soll-schnell-an-Hartz-IV-kommen-Vermoegenspruefung-entfaellt--article21626512.html