Pregnant black German moving to Berlin for the first time with Kids.

64 posts in this topic

Your daughter isn't called Mercy is she?

Manchester has many areas. Maybe you could move to a better area?

20 minutes ago, Lieblings said:

Have 3 infants doesn‘ t limit you from making an extra income if you want. you can organise yourself and do anything as long as you are willing.If you are competent and have a child care allocation, you will get a job.

First of all the availability of child care varies across the country, but generally there are very long waiting lists in Germany for child care especially for children under 3.

Jobs don‘t depend on your number of Kids. Jobs depend on your willingness , brains, competence and personality compared to the description.

Not in Germany. Germany is somewhat behind the times The Germans expect that you include info regarding the number of children you have on your C.V. Employers are not allowed to ask at interviews, however, very often they do ask either directly or indirectly. 

I have not asked for help here on how to look for a job or childcare help. I am asking on information about quick/cheap housing possibilities. I believe in handling things stage by stage .

That is a very bad idea. The problem is if you move to a really poor area with cheap housing, you'll find difficulty finding sufficient social services (and you will need social services).

That’s why I am able to handle the rest of the stages once I can have a shelter. Do I make more sense to you now? 

It seems to be that you know what you want to do, however, the plan that you have decided upon is not compatible with Germany.

Secondly I never said I have lived in Germany long enough. I said NOT long enough.And I have never been in a situation of need like this so I know very little about social assistance.

You haven't lived in Germany for very long and you are completely ignorant of how things work here. If you don't want to believe what everyone is telling you, don't bother posting here. 

There are lots of customer service jobs in Germany. It just depends on how you present your cv, how willing you are to work and organise yourself.

You wish!

I am more interested in researching on how to get quick accommodation on my return . I will handle the rest when I have a roof on my head. . 

If you move to an area that doesn't have the infrastructure that you need, you're going to get yourself stuck in an even worse situation.

BTW, forget Bavaria. BW might be better. 

2 hours ago, Lieblings said:

I have been working as a part time model, a customer service or cashier at Jamie Oliver, affiliate marketing representative for products . So these are jobs I could do all at once and achieve a moderate salary where I could Safe some money

You can't earn enough in Germany as a single parent with 4 kids doing those jobs. 

12 minutes ago, Lieblings said:

I will have to fully depend on the government and I will not be able to meet my saving goals and targets. Thanks for the inquiries

You are a single mother with 4 kids to feed, the only way you'll be able to save is if you find a good job in your field and affordable childcare.

29 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Lots of good advice and comments for you. Do not take offence at any remarks- take the positive ideas!

You will arrive with 2 children and pregnant with twins- all good wishes. You will have no job, and no possibility of work till your babes are older.   ( No pets?!)

Finding a landlord to rent a place anywhere may be very tough.

Listen to others, engelchen has good knowledge of the system here.

As a German citizen, you  may apply for benefits. Might be a question of the father of your children required to pay as well. Not an expert or lawyer, just looking at factors you need to research.

Good luck.

Yes please! I know that and appreciate these factors. But on the other hand , some people’s response here because I am going to have four  kids are unbelievable.They know nothing about my past or personality and should not generalise. I just have a difficult moment now looking for shelter back to Germany. My greatest challenge is having shelter , the rest of the procedures will not be a problem for me once as I give birth to my babies. Housing advice/help is the most I need now.If other women are having difficulties with four kids, I wouldn‘t . Housing is my number 1 need. Thanks for the advice.

44 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

Lots of good advice and comments for you. Do not take offence at any remarks- take the positive ideas!

You will arrive with 2 children and pregnant with twins- all good wishes. You will have no job, and no possibility of work till your babes are older.   ( No pets?!)

Finding a landlord to rent a place anywhere may be very tough.

Listen to others, engelchen has good knowledge of the system here.

As a German citizen, you  may apply for benefits. Might be a question of the father of your children required to pay as well. Not an expert or lawyer, just looking at factors you need to research.

Good luck.

Yes please! I know that and appreciate these factors. But on the other hand , some people’s response here because I am going to have four  kids are unbelievable.They know nothing about my past or personality and should not generalise. I just have a difficult moment now looking for shelter back to Germany. My greatest challenge is having shelter , the rest of the procedures will not be a problem for me once as I give birth to my babies. Housing advice/help is the most I need now.If other women are having difficulties with four kids, I wouldn‘t . Housing is my number 1 need. Thanks for the advice.

19 minutes ago, engelchen said:

You can't earn enough in Germany as a single parent with 4 kids doing those jobs. 

You are a single mother with 4 kids to feed, the only way you'll be able to save is if you find a good job in your field and affordable childcare.

Thanks for the comment. I am aware of all this . What I forgot to mention and no body asked  is if I have any savings or income at the Moment.Yes i do! Based on some commercial work I did, I do have a monthly income which is not much but if I add even a part time job to start with after I have my kids. It will be enough for us all.I also will have an OP Mädchen to make things easier. But that can only happen after I have a flat. Berlin is myfocus of Research here and how things work there. But I see most people are only Focused on my kids and not information about housing.. I have had a lot of useful housing information concerning the topic from here already and I can now decide if I want to go back to NRW or risk coming to Berlin. Thanks for contributing  

Thanks for all your advice. I think it will be better for me to move back to NRW where i worked, lived and know more people, though it’s not my favourite place to live as far as opportunities are concerned but it‘s going to be the fastest solution when it comes to housing.Thanks again for the links, I will keep on digging in, one never knows. 

Are all the children from you late husband?  if not, could you envisage problems with the other fathers of you children?

You Comercial work will get taxed in Germany, so you can kiss 25% of that good bye... 

Just in case you´ll qualify for Hartz IV: the jobcenter will pay for an apartment of maximally 45 sqm for you and 15 sqm per child. You´ll also get "Kindergeld" of around € 900 for 4 kids (don´t know exact number)- however this will be offset against your Hartz IV grants AFAIK.

It might help to mention to potential landlords that there was a recent court ruling because of which your landlord doesn´t have to worry anymore that he´ll not get his rent paid because you´re being sanctioned (e. g. for not showing up to a job interview). I´d also offer to stipulate in the lease that you´ll waive your claim to social grants for him to be paid directly by the jobcenter to him rather than by you and that you´ll give him power of attorney to represent you towards the jobcenter as far as it affects your lease contract. This might help overcome possible reluctance to rent out to a recipient of social grants.

7 minutes ago, jeba said:

the jobcenter will pay for an apartment of maximally 45 sqm for you and 15 sqm per child.

She'll get a 95 meter apartment???

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

She'll get a 95 meter apartment???

Up to 105 sqm (45 + (4x15)) AFAIK. At least that´s what I was told long ago in Schleswig-Holstein.

3 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

OK. Did my maths wrong. Still, that's an awful lot.

Angemessener Wohnraum liegt in der Regel vor, wenn die Wohnung nicht größer als 45 – 50 Quadratmeter für einen Single ist. Für zwei Personen gelten 60 Quadratmeter als angemessen. Für jede weitere Person sind 15 Quadratmeter zusätzlich einzurechnen.

source: https://www.hartziv.org/angemessene-wohnkosten.html

2 hours ago, Lieblings said:

Thanks for the comment. I am aware of all this . What I forgot to mention and no body asked  is if I have any savings or income at the Moment.Yes i do! Based on some commercial work I did, I do have a monthly income which is not much but if I add even a part time job to start with after I have my kids. It will be enough for us all.

I was just about to ask you this. Also, very important: how good is your German?
You should also be aware that many/some landlords will be wary of renting to a black woman. Especially one with four kids. That is a simple fact -- there is prejudice, and landlords are wary.
I was once refused a flat point black because of my colour. My husband had seen the flat alone, and accepted it, and when he returned with me the landlady said no, she didn't want me. That was with a husband, a Beamter at that, an Amtsrat. OK, that was in 1992 but I don't think attitudes have changed that much; if anything they have grown worse because of the "Asylanten" problem. 
Good luck.

28 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I was just about to ask you this. Also, very important: how good is your German?
You should also be aware that many/some landlords will be wary of renting to a black woman. Especially one with four kids. That is a simple fact -- there is prejudice, and landlords are wary.
I was once refused a flat point black because of my colour. My husband had seen the flat alone, and accepted it, and when he returned with me the landlady said no, she didn't want me. That was with a husband, a Beamter at that, an Amtsrat. OK, that was in 1992 but I don't think attitudes have changed that much; if anything they have grown worse because of the "Asylanten" problem. 
Good luck.

My German is very good. Not perfect but very good. Thanks to my first daughter who speak German at home and my man for making me do the courses over and over again.

These attitudes from landlords haven’t changed at all. That i know. As long as you are black they start assuming. I always have a plan B as Germany is very unpredictable area for a black . I am thinking of going back to NRW if Berlin will be a headache. There i can quote my landlords if they need to find out about me or i can ask someone a German friend or ex colleague to help intervene . (Sign contract together if that’s the only possibility). In a community where you know a few people who trust you , there’s always a way out.Crossing my fingers.