Pregnant black German moving to Berlin for the first time with Kids.

64 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, 

i am new here and I need help. I am 35 and originally black with a German nationality, due to the fact that my late husband was German. I moved to Manchester last year September but things didn’t work out for my kids and I in Manchester like we thought . And so we have to return to Germany before June 2020 because I am pregnant with twins , not receiving proper medical care in the UK and living in a very bad situation. I know no one in Berlin, I was supposed to come on the 26.03.2020 but due to the Corona virus situation now, I am afraid to pass through airports and put myself and kids at risk. I have to probably wait for months when the virus has subsided.My first kid would be 14 next month and the second 2 in July.what steps should I take now? In anycase I Must come to Berlin in May or latest June for good. As I am due in September.

Would I be granted a temporary accommodation until I find an apartment? Would I get help in finding an apartment if I am physically unable? Where can I report to? Please help me with tangible advice. I got no family or friends to rely on. Thanks a lot.

Sorry, but this is an extremely unlikely scenario, starting with your assertion that you have German nationality because your late husband was German.

That's not how nationality works, at least not in Germany.

If you're real, I wish you the best of luck, but you should know that Berlin is suffering from a huge housing shortage even among the able-bodied. If you come here, no one will help you and no one will grant you temporary accommodation. Your plans would be irresponsible even if we weren't in the grip of a global pandemic. Given the current state of things, they're simply insane.

Which brings us back to the unlikely part.

5 minutes ago, Lieblings said:

Would I be granted a temporary accommodation until I find an apartment? Would I get help in finding an apartment if I am physically unable?

Most government offices are either closed or are running on a skeleton staff and even before corona there was not enough social housing. I would strongly advise against moving to Berlin without having your housing situation settled first. 

You can try contacting the nearest German Consulate for assistance. I would recommend that you forget about Berlin and move somewhere small that has available affordable housing.

2 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I would recommend that you forget about Berlin and move somewhere small that has available affordable housing.

ditto.

and verify you would be allowed to live here legally at all, per Jeffo's comment.

30 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Sorry, but this is an extremely unlikely scenario, starting with your assertion that you have German nationality because your late husband was German.

That's not how nationality works, at least not in Germany.

If you're real, I wish you the best of luck, but you should know that Berlin is suffering from a huge housing shortage even among the able-bodied. If you come here, no one will help you and no one will grant you temporary accommodation. Your plans would be irresponsible even if we weren't in the grip of a global pandemic. Given the current state of things, they're simply insane.

Which brings us back to the unlikely part.

Thanks for the reply . But i don’t think you fully understood me. I am German by nationality. I wasn’t asking if I was German. And thanks for the feedback. I appreciate. 

45 minutes ago, Lieblings said:

I am 35 and originally black with a German nationality, due to the fact that my late husband was German.

that is what you said.  Jeffo was responding to this part as it sounds like you think you have German nationality because your late husband was German.

if you got citizenship that way, fine, but based on your post that is not clear at all.

32 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Most government offices are either closed or are running on a skeleton staff and even before corona there was not enough social housing. I would strongly advise against moving to Berlin without having your housing situation settled first. 

You can try contacting the nearest German Consulate for assistance. I would recommend that you forget about Berlin and move somewhere small that has available affordable housing.

Thanks Lots. This sounds more reasonable. I had that in mind. But considering Work opportunities. I thought Berlin would be great. Anyway, thanks lots. I would try to find out some of the cities closer to Berlin where i could easily find an affordable apartment . I appreciate. 

37 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

"she" says she is originally black...  does that indicate she has changed colour?   

I wish i understood what this your statement means and how it helps with my inquiries!

36 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

ditto.

and verify you would be allowed to live here legally at all, per Jeffo's comment.

Is someone who is German not allowed to live in Berlin legally? 

see previous post.

you are not going to get much traction this way.  If you are German you can do whatever you want.  But as already described Berlin is probably not the place to do it.

good luck.

7 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

that is what you said.  Jeffo was responding to this part as it sounds like you think you have German nationality because your late husband was German.

if you got citizenship that way, fine, but based on your post that is not clear at all.

I acquired citizenship 3 years after living in Germany because my Late husband was German. That is very normal by German law if you were married.Sorry if it wasn’t clear. It’s hard to explain everything in details.

6 minutes ago, Lieblings said:

Is someone who is German not allowed to live in Berlin legally? 

If you are German you are allowed to live anywhere in Germany, of course.  I think El Jeffo and lisa's comments are just prompted by the doubt of whether you are actually German because of the way that you worded your first post. If you are German, you are fine. Of course, you can't just get off the plane and say "I need a free place to live for me and my kids. Where do I pick up the keys?" You need to arrange (and pay for) a place to live when you arrive. Hotels are closing by the way.

3 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

see previous post.

you are not going to get much traction this way.  If you are German you can do whatever you want.  But as already described Berlin is probably not the place to do it.

good luck.

That’s why it’s good to get informed before taking actions with kids. So i definitely have it at the back of my mind that if this is not going to be possible, I will go to another smaller city closer to Berlin.Thanks lots for the feedback 

10 minutes ago, Smaug said:

If you are German you are allowed to live anywhere in Germany, of course.  I think El Jeffo and lisa's comments are just prompted by the doubt of whether you are actually German because of the way that you worded your first post. If you are German, you are fine. Of course, you can't just get off the plane and say "I need a free place to live for me and my kids. Where do I pick up the keys?" You need to arrange (and pay for) a place to live when you arrive. Hotels are closing by the way.

Thanks for the reply. It’s hard to clearing everything in details on a post so you don’t scare people with a very long post. But thanks lots. Let me explain a little more.i have lived in Germany before but not so long, so I know very little about social help because I haven’t really been in that situation. So i was trying to inquire about this temporary lodging because that’s how it goes here in the uk for most of their citizens based on the situation. I wasn’t sure if Germany has such an organization until I asked. So thanks lots for the information, it will definitely lead me to plan differently.

23 minutes ago, Lieblings said:

But considering Work opportunities. I thought Berlin would be great.

Forget Berlin. Although the economy was doing a bit better, many people have lost their jobs and it'll be next to impossible for a single mother with young children to find a job. 

How well do you speak German and do you have any skills that are in demand on the German labour market?

I would try to find out some of the cities closer to Berlin where i could easily find an affordable apartment .

If I were you, I'd look for a smaller city in Bavaria that still has affordable housing and childcare, but you need to wait until the situation improves.  

12 minutes ago, Lieblings said:

I acquired citizenship 3 years after living in Germany because my Late husband was German. That is very normal by German law if you were married.Sorry if it wasn’t clear. It’s hard to explain everything in details.

Your meaning was clear to me from the outset, seeing as I was in exactly the same position, German through marriage, husband passed away! Good luck finding a place to live somewhere suitable.

1 minute ago, arunadasi said:

Your meaning was clear to me from the outset, seeing as I was in exactly the same position, German through marriage, husband passed away! Good luck finding a place to live somewhere suitable.

Thanks Lots. I wish I could have even an affordable space/room to rent at the beginning while looking for a better one later. 

9 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Forget Berlin. Although the economy was doing a bit better, many people have lost their jobs ...

... and with this virus running wild a lot more people are likely to lose their jobs which means that getting one is going to be difficult.

2 minutes ago, HEM said:

... and with this virus running wild a lot more people are likely to lose their jobs which means that getting one is going to be difficult.

Ooh ok! Then i will just have to research what smaller cities around Berlin would make more sense. Thanks