Job contract not renewed amid Covid-19 crisis - am I eligible for unemployment benefits?

2 posts in this topic

Hallo folks,

I’m posting here in the hope that those of you with a more thorough understanding of German bureaucracy, particularly Jobcenter related themes, might be able to help me out.

So, I recently, quite stupidly I will add, told my employer I did not want to renew my Festangestellte contract (due to expire at the end of April) as I planned to find a new job. They offered me the opportunity to stay on as an Aushilfe, although nothing has been signed yet. Then Corona blew up and I realised I had made a mistake. I asked whether I might still be able to take the permanent contract (Festangestellte) but I heard back from them today and they’ve decided not to offer it to me.

Due to the likely implications of coronavirus, not having social security benefits terrifies me a wee bit. Does anyone know if I would be entitled to any sort of help from the Jobcenter, seeing as I’ve recently been denied a renewal of my contract? If they hadn’t offered me the possibility to stay on as an Aushilfe, I would be due to be employed soon. With the current situation, the income I would earn as an Aushilfe would not be enough to survive. I work in a cafe, so in the coming weeks/months they’re likely to either not require so many staff, or be closed entirely. Which would render me completely without income. Though I haven’t even signed the Aushilfe contract yet, making my circumstance even more uncertain. 

I might add that I’ve only worked 6 months in Germany on a permanent contract and then 4 months as an Aushilfe previous to that, with the same employer. That leaves me either 2 or 6 months short of qualifying for Hartz IV, if my understanding of the requirements are correct and indeed still correct during the current coronavirus crisis. 

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to shine some light on my situation.

...P.S. Perhaps should also have mentioned I have previously also worked as a self-employed cleaner (but from February until April 2019), although I don't have a Gewerbeanmeldung for it anymore. Would I be best off getting a Gewerbeanmeldung so that I could claim Grundsicherung für Selbständige? Or would that not work if I was also employed somewhere else as an Aushilfe as well?

Sorry for the question overload!