Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Covid-19 Financial Assistance Question

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I worked as a freelance English teacher for the past three years up until December 2019, the first year in Leipzig and the last two in Berlin  - I then took a chancen EG loan and did a bootcamp in software design here in Berlin to make a career change for the better and have just graduated as everything is turning into recession it seems. I am actively looking for jobs as much as I can, but I am worried about the market and am thinking I need to apply for Arbeitslosungsgeld of some sort or another - i live by myself in an apartment that costs 1000 a month (I was sharing with my partner but the relationship ended and I've been able to pay it since but now things are really difficult) - but I know its going to be an arduous process so want to do it right the first time, but I'm not even sure what I'm entitled to. I have paid my taxes in full every year - so surely I must be entitled to something? But I know the fact that I've graduated from a bootcamp means I'm not just a freelancer who's work has dried up because of the shutdown.

If anyone can offer any helpful advice they'd be really helping at a time that is very stressful, for me and for others. 

If people want good advice for normal freelancers this is really good. https://www.redtapetranslation.com/how-not-to-go-broke-as-a-freelancer-in-germany-during-covid-19/

1 hour ago, terenceterence said:

I need to apply for Arbeitslosungsgeld of some sort or another - i live by myself in an apartment that costs 1000 a month

Unless you were paying voluntary unemployment insurance contributions as a freelancer, you are not entitled to unemployment benefits. As an EU citizen whose has been working in Germany, you can apply for welfare / ALG II (aka HartzIV), however, your apartment is too expensive and won't be considered angemessen