EU travel ban questions

20 posts in this topic

I have looked on all news articles and even tweeted some news organizations about it, but haven't managed to find the answer...

Due to the new EU travel ban announced yesterday (3/17/20), are valid Blue Card holders allowed back into Germany during this 30 day ban? Some comments by taggeschau on instagram or twitter said non-EU citizens with D visas are allowed, but no other types of visas were mentioned.

For context, I am an American living and working in Germany, but currently in the US for personal reasons. I have a valid blue card til May 2022 and have a flight back from DC to Frankfurt on April 6. A blue card is not a permanent resident permit, so hence the confusion. And I don't think United is the person to ask about this. I have a feeling that I am ok and will still be able to enter, but one never knows. And it's not like when leaving the US, they check the visa status. 

Also, I am aware the situation may change and there could be no flights between EU and US in coming weeks, but just wondering if I should come back earlier, stay, or wait til after the 30 days.

If you are a resident in Germany or a citizen, they should let you in. But again, there is too much misinformation around right now, so who knows. Maybe ask the airline? 

13 minutes ago, Nkwal said:

Due to the new EU travel ban announced yesterday (3/17/20), are valid Blue Card holders allowed back into Germany during this 30 day ban?

At the moment, yes. 

13 minutes ago, Nkwal said:

For context, I am an American living and working in Germany, but currently in the US for personal reasons. I have a valid blue card til May 2022 and have a flight back from DC to Frankfurt on April 6.

How long have you been in the US? Are you still employed and registered in Germany? 

36 minutes ago, engelchen said:

How long have you been in the US? Are you still employed and registered in Germany? 

I've only been here 2 weeks. Employed and registered :) in Germany

Thanks for the answers. I appreciate it!

Under the current rules you are considered to be living in Germany and would not be barred from coming "home". These rules could change and your flights could be cancelled. 

Is it just me, or does it not mention residents of Germany; just citizens? It does mention residents of other EU countries in transit, but not German residents here...

Lufthansa cancelled my return flight of 22 Mar to Berlin without even bothering to inform me. I had checked with their local office last week here in Delhi, and they said, yes we shall take you back. On this Monday, i checked online and it said one of my legs of flight is cancelled. They were neither available on phone or email here or in Germany. Normally, they send smallest information like gate changes via email and sms, but such a big and important information they conveniently ignored.

I quickly rushed to the airport to take any other Lufthansa flight available, and they were still flying back to Frankfurt, but each one way ticket was for 2600 euros which i could not afford.

I have also registered with the german government websites bringing back Germans, but most were for German citizens and i could not put Niederlassungserlaubnis anywhere.

Officially, if i reach the gates of Germany, i can go in. but as all flights are cancelled indefinitely, i am stuck here for now. 

29 minutes ago, kaffeemitmilch said:

Is it just me, or does it not mention residents of Germany; just citizens? It does mention residents of other EU countries in transit, but not German residents here...

I think they are being deliberately vague about foreign residents in Germany and that's not terribly helpful or reassuring. However, from what I've been hearing, foreign passengers (EU and non-EU) who are residents in Germany arriving at Frankfurt airport  are being admitted.

That's if you're allowed to board a plane! They could very well claim you can't board because you're a US citizen, etc., no? I'm not leaving Germany any time soon, but it would be good to know in case I have to go to my parents in the US and come back.

But I think I've seen somewhere else (news report) that residents are allowed in too. Still, I couldn't show that to an airline as an official guideline.

Hallo Dear reader's

I need some advice from you guys about my situation right now, I was sick 

By diagnosis call serkodose I have been struggling with this un still i meet my house doctor and he send me to surgery Dr who has confirmed that is a serkodose and I need a urgent operation to it and I have no choice I go with the doctor idea and with time I have a later that I have been invited in court for hearing and I didn't show up. But to my knowledge I didn't have any later from my X lawyer who lives in Stuttgart but now my I was given duldung and my Dr write a attest to my situation but I feel like they are not paying attention to my health condition please I need advice from you guys

On 3/20/2020, 11:14:13, kaffeemitmilch said:

That's if you're allowed to board a plane! They could very well claim you can't board because you're a US citizen, etc., no? I'm not leaving Germany any time soon, but it would be good to know in case I have to go to my parents in the US and come back.

But I think I've seen somewhere else (news report) that residents are allowed in too. Still, I couldn't show that to an airline as an official guideline.

The Auswärtiges Amt has made it crystal-clear that the Rückholaktion the German government put in place for stranded tourists in certain countries is German Citizens get priority, Aufenthaltstitel-holders on a space-available basis only.

"Für Personen, die einen Aufenthaltstitel für Deutschland haben, in Deutschland leben und von dort in den Urlaub gereist sind, bemühen wir uns im Rahmen der Kapazitäten, eine Lösung zu finden."

So for now, if you can get back, you can get in.  With the above attitude though, I could see that if things get really, really ugly Germany could close the borders to any returnee who is not a German Citizen.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Germany could close the borders to any returnee who is not a German Citizen.

Cyprus closed the borders even for Cypriot citizens. Which is causing an uproar as it is unconstitutional (at least according to what I read in the newspaper).

They also sent an airplane back to Quatar which had landed 2 min after the ban had come into effect without allowing passangers to disembarq..

I returned to Germany yesterday, after spending the past three weeks in the UK.  My Lufthansa flight, which was booked months ago was still on track for a Saturday departure from Birmingham until I tried to check in and receive my boarding pass.  I called Lufthansa and spoke with a very friendly and helpful man who tried to find a Lufthansa flight from Birmingham to any airport in Germany.  Every flight he tried to reserve failed and Lufthansa was cancelling flights in real time while we talked.  I was willing to stay in the UK for a few more days, but he couldn't find any flights.

Finally, the only option was to refund the unused portion of my ticket and let me find my own flight with a different airline.  Fortunately, KLM had a flight from Birmingham to Frankfurt, via Amsterdam at about the same time as my Lufthansa flight.  I booked the flight, received my boarding passes, and everything was on schedule.

At no point in the process did anyone challenge my travel.  As I went through EU immigration in Amsterdam, I produced my U.S. passport, German Aufenthaltstitel, and boarding pass for Frankfurt.  Not a word was said and I proceeded directly to the departure gate.  The rest of the trip was routine and DB was on schedule for the final leg home.

I planned on going to the UK in May for a couple of weeks, but will defer that trip until later.

Update for those interested: my flight from DC to Frankfurt on April 6 is no longer direct (normally there are 4 a day, 5 during summer!). United is sending me to Newark first. I’ll assume there will now only be one or two flights a day between USA and Frankfurt til this craziness is over: Newark and maybe somewhere on west coast. But I can only confirm Newark at this time. 

However, I would rather be routed in the USA instead of some random city in Europe and there being no flights from Lufthansa. I have friends and family all over the states and could crash with someone. I want Frankfurt to hopefully be my only and final entry into Europe. 

One more side note: I was supposed to go to DC Apr 20-27. HIGHLY unlikely I will, but this fight has also been rerouted thru Newark both ways. More data points...I will change it as the date gets closer. No rush at this point!

39 minutes ago, Nkwal said:

Update for those interested: my flight from DC to Frankfurt on April 6 is no longer direct (normally there are 4 a day, 5 during summer!). United is sending me to Newark first. I’ll assume there will now only be one or two flights a day between USA and Frankfurt til this craziness is over: Newark and maybe somewhere on west coast. But I can only confirm Newark at this time. 

As my (booked) Lufthansa flight from Boston to Frankfurt will not happen, it looks like a have to somehow get to Newark and use United to get to Frankfurt (United and Lufthansa are Star Alliance members)...

Here are details of what destinations United will still reach (and which not):  https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/03/21/coronavirus-united-airlines-cuts-95-percent-international-flights/2891481001/

On 3/23/2020, 1:10:16, Nkwal said:

For those interested: my experience about getting back in.

I changed my flight to April 8 since it was a free change. When I went to do mobile check-in, it kept saying I needed documents. I thought eh fine. When I got to Dulles, I scanned my passport like usual, but then couldn't get boarding passes. I gave them my aufenthaltstitel to show I am really a German resident, so United overrode the error and I got the passes. Took about 10 minutes. There was nowhere to enter this info at check-in and I only have a US passport. Flew from Dulles to Newark. Both airports dead.

Then flew to Frankfurt. Was repeated often you need EU passport or EU resident card of some sort for entry. At landing, they said no one should get up once at gate as someone would come in 15 minutes to tell us how to deplane. Someone eventually arrived and said 40 passengers could disembark every 15 minutes to maintain social distancing. Since I was in business, I was in first group. Went thru airport, completely dead. They were controlling a lot of the paths and had marks on floor for passport control.

Now crazy part (imo) - no form to fill out about being in USA, where I'd traveled, do I have any symptoms. No handouts to tell me to do anything. Passport control only asked one question - did I live in Germany. I couldn't believe no info was taken or tracked. Really crazy. I mean, I will stay at home anyways, but I wonder how many people will since they weren't told to...

But the point is...I got back in, NO QUESTIONS ASKED. If anyone is traveling from US to EU right now and don't have an EU passport, looks like you just have to show your resident permit at check-in.