Complete lockdown predictions - Berlin

19 posts in this topic

As title,

Can anyone predict if / when Berlin will enter into completely enforced 'lockdown' ?

Is it inevitable we will go the way of Italy, or can we foresee a different path for Berlin?

I think it might happen within a mattes of days. Merkel is addressing the country tonight. I assume to urk everyone to stay home. People will still go outside. So after a few days there will be a lockdown.

51 minutes ago, Brexitania said:

Can anyone predict if / when Berlin will enter into completely enforced 'lockdown' ?

Either it'll happen all across the country at once or more likely Bavaria will lead and Berlin will follow. 

51 minutes ago, Brexitania said:

Is it inevitable we will go the way of Italy, or can we foresee a different path for Berlin?

Considering many idiots here are not taking the restrictions seriously, I think it is inevitable that we'll follow the path of France.

How do you speculate things will work here in the likely scenario in the event of a lockdown?

I saw the dos and don'ts of the French model currently in place. You are allowed to be outside for certain activities such as groceries shopping, walking the dog etc. If Germany follows the same path, how likely is it that one will have to carry a signed declaration as required by the French model, do you think?

10 minutes ago, generalmartok said:

If Germany follows the same path, how likely is it that one will have to carry a signed declaration as required by the French model, do you think?

I can't wait for the police starting to demand signed declarations from dogs that their owners have to take them for walks. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bavaria imposed such requirements.

I'm surprised and impressed how seriously people are taking it around here, especially compared to the total shit-show going on in the UK.

5 minutes ago, Brexitania said:

I'm surprised and impressed how seriously people are taking it around here, especially compared to the total shit-show going on in the UK.

If by "here" you mean Berlin I am not sure about your definition of "seriously".   Only until the weekend some people started taking it seriously, before they were doing Corona-Partys (sic) and in general plenty of people going out like nothing is happening.   I went out on Saturday to the supermarket and I saw a line in the car wash.  Seriously?

Hairdressers and even tattoo parlors are allowed to open if they can provide enough social distancing for their customers.   Not sure how the artist is going to do the job from 2 meters distance.

Maybe UK is worse, that I don't know, but things are not that good here either.   

Yes I mean Berlin.

I can only talk of personal experience locally and the attitude of friends - seemingly conscious and respectful about following the guidelines.

In the UK 1000s headed to the beaches and markets at the weekend and none of my friends or family have changed anything, except working from home.

Never mind, probably just me with this opinion.

On 3/18/2020, 2:00:43, El Jeffo said:

I can't wait for the police starting to demand signed declarations from dogs that their owners have to take them for walks. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if Bavaria imposed such requirements.

have you been to Bavaria...ever? :)

I really am teasing.  I know Bayern has a reputation in Berlin of having a stick up its ass but I haven't experienced that way at all.  Just based on what I have encountered on the streets near me - not that I'm going out much for obvious reasons but...in general people are actually staying home and otherwise observing the new rules.  I was out for a longer walk this morning and didn't see any groups, not even any pairs.  People jogging, biking, very few driving, some walking with or without dogs...but ALONE.  I went to the bakery expecting pandemonium and there was only one other person there.  We kept the required 1.5 meters distance, which is normally difficult as the place is so small, but it was almost empty so no problem.

even the kids are being kept inside instead of let loose to play in the innenhof since they started the curfew-light restrictions.  People are taking it seriously around here so I hope there is less need to go crazy with additional measures.  We'll see, I suppose.  Anyway if I have to carry a paper with me when I go out, I really don't care.

I was in Malvern, UK this past Friday evening through Saturday afternoon before my flight back to Germany.  As I left for the airport, I was disappointed to see a lot of young people still socializing, hugging, and clustering in groups along the sidewalks in town.

I went to the local Rewe this afternoon, and aside from toilet paper, the shelves were fully stocked, people kept their distance, and the attached bakery had plenty of products.

17 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

even the kids are being kept inside

Two big kids faffing about in Marktkauf on Saturday has been the only really silly thing I've seen in days. People in the shops are good, and far fewer people are out and about and then only alone or a couple. Generally really good. And the supermarkets are brilliant compared to what I've seen in pictures from the UK.

edit @JG52 after you posted about your return journey I have been stressing a bit, but Paps and kid#2 are at LHR and have successfully booked in, so I think their flight is OK, thank goodness.

@Brexitania

Move out a little from central Berlin to the walks along the rivers and the numbers yesterday were pretty high where we are. 

Families with children, inline skaters, cyclists all trying to get their piece of the just over 2 metre wide shared footpath.

Trying to pass anyone with the recommended abstand of 1.5m was almost impossible and of course no one ever walks onto the grass to avoid anyone, what is that here? even cyclists won't go around you but that's for another subject.

23 minutes ago, kiplette said:

edit @JG52 after you posted about your return journey I have been stressing a bit, but Paps and kid#2 are at LHR and have successfully booked in, so I think their flight is OK, thank goodness.

Great news!  I hope they arrive safe and sound.

Perhaps for us expats there might be something good to come from the Corona Virus outbreak here in Germany, has anyone else noticed that the German's have finally learnt how to queue properly. :ph34r:

At the moment I think the current restrictions are until the 20th April. If new infection rate isn't slowing down by then, the restrictions will probably be extended until 30th April and then the government will need to make a decision on either a complete lockdown, which will kill the economy and put a lot of small business out of business, or they will do something similar to Sweden where there are certain restrictions but cafes, etc. are open and people are asked to try and keep some sort of social distancing.

I suppose it will depend on the amount of newly reported cases each day and whether the complete lockdown restrictions they have in Spain/Italy/France are working and what the situation in Sweden is. By 20th April the restrictions will have been in place for 6 weeks and the virus is only supposed to take a max of 2 weeks to appear so if the newly reported cases are still increasing at that time then either people aren't following social distancing or the virus is spreading in ways we aren't aware of.

If they reduce the restrictions somewhat (still banning concerts, large gatherings, etc.) but allow cafes/bars to open provided there is still some social distancing then it gives people the choice. The people who are most at risk will need to remain indoors, as well as anyone who comes in contact with them, but the rest of us can decide whether to keep to the current restrictions or return to more normality.