Job no longer exists due to coronavirus?

23 posts in this topic

I work at a club. They shut down in anticipation of a forced shut down due to corona virus and told me i shall come in and do painting and  other remedial tasks there for the next several weeks. I told them no thanks as this is not the type of work I was hired to do and asked them to just fire me since my job no longer exists. They refused. What rights do I have in this situation? 

 

Thank you all in advance.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone needs a job in Hamburg you can pm me and I will try to help. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just how are you going to get another job and don't forget, if you resign you won't get Arbeitslosengeld. No job, no money.

 

The Dole queues are full of people with principles. Said to me by a former MD shortly before I was sacked

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fucking bellend are the words that spring to mind.

If you told them just to fire you then why do you want to know what rights you have in this situation ?

There's people being treated like shit all over the country by their employers due to this situation and yet here you are being told you can keep your job but do some remedial tasks instead.

I hope you have enough money,there again if you have enough money then you obviously have more money than sense.

8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, franklan said:

You certainly have the right to post the address of that club, so that some Freelancers (who lost all their income in the foreseeable future due to corona) can apply for those remedial tasks...

 

 

and visit later once they opened again as clearly they're decent people who at least try to keep their staff working

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on what your work contract stipulates. Usually, the employer has "Direktionsrecht" i. e. they can tell you what you have to do.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just about every supermarket is looking for staff at the moment.

If you are really stuck for a job and income, start applying to them, and take the best offer you can get!

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Just about every supermarket is looking for staff at the moment.

If you are really stuck for a job and income, start applying to them, and take the best offer you can get!

 

Yer but that`s "menial" work which is why he wanted to be fired by his current job.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Keleth said:

Fucking bellend are the words that spring to mind.

If you told them just to fire you then why do you want to know what rights you have in this situation ?

There's people being treated like shit all over the country by their employers due to this situation and yet here you are being told you can keep your job but do some remedial tasks instead.

I hope you have enough money,there again if you have enough money then you obviously have more money than sense.

 

You just say it as it is, no messing.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, klingklang77 said:

Well I’ll take your remedial work as I have nothing now. You are so ungrateful. 

 

- feel free to follow the advice I gave earlier!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a night club, I'm not sure what job isn't manual. I mean Bartending. DJ'ing. Cloakrooming. Gogo boy dancing... They're all kind of manual ('cept GoGo boy - that'd be groinial ;-)

 

i can't think of much on the non-manual side - unless you are the bookkeeper or something.

 

But in any case, you'd need to check your contract to see what it says about tasks.

 

If it's a firing that you absolutely need, just turn up and do the painting badly or something.

 

When they complain, say you weren't trained how to do it properly and demand an Ausbildung to have it "gelernt". Or whatever floats your boat.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, paulwork said:

If it's a night club, I'm not sure what job isn't manual. I mean Bartending. DJ'ing. Cloakrooming. Gogo boy dancing... They're all kind of manual ('cept GoGo boy - that'd be groinial ;-)

 

i can't think of much on the non-manual side - unless you are the bookkeeper or something.

I wasn't sure if they were confusing "remedial" (as in repairing and fixing up stuff) with "menial".  It would be an odd use of the word "remedial" but maybe they just don't like fixing stuff up?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Offered to be kept on and doing paid work while the club has no income.  Not something they can offer every employee, or even a quarter of them.  It's frankly unbelievable that you have been offered such a thing.  Really rare at the moment.  I haven't heard of such a thing yet here at all and I'm not exactly szenefremd.

 

Looks like they value you as a worker more than you value them as an employer.  It looks like from your side it's time to find another job that you value more.

 

Kurzarbeit wages are 60% of usual pay.  Most people would much prefer to continue working and make 100% of their regular pay rather than having to budget in a drastic cut in pay or suffer the horrors of the Job Center.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mini-job in a nightclub was terminated effective Saturday.

 

This nightclub chose to terminate all mini-jobs in an effort to allow those folks to get unemployment benefits. They're keeping the full-time staff on the books, but even those people will only get 60% income after the paperwork is complete.

 

Every single one of us would much prefer to be working - I know of 6 who offered to join the cleaning crew who are currently at work scrubbing every inch of the space, at least they are active for now.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Debi Vaught said:

My mini-job in a nightclub was terminated effective Saturday.

 

This nightclub chose to terminate all mini-jobs in an effort to allow those folks to get unemployment benefits. They're keeping the full-time staff on the books, but even those people will only get 60% income after the paperwork is complete.

 

Your employer might have meant well, but doesn't understand how mini jobs work. Since you weren't paying unemployment insurance contributions on your minijob, you are not eligible for unemployment benefits (ALG I). 

 

Being an EU citizen and depending on your financial circumstances you might be eligible for welfare benefits (aka HartzIV/  ALG II). Apply for these at the JobCenter.

 

Please note in Berlin applications for ALG I and ALG II are processed by two different offices!

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now