40 posts in this topic

Today I was walking with my two dogs in a country lane. Both dogs were on their leads. Suddenly a dog pushed his way through a hedge and started attacking us. He was on a long tether but the owner could not call him or pull him off us. I fell and injured my ankle and one dog was slightly bitten. I managed to drag my dogs into a field just out of reach of this dog. The owner seems to think that because her dog was tethered and I was walking in her dogs area even though it is a public road,  that I can do nothing and even implied that I was to take responsibility. 

Our village is on a main road and this is the nearest country lane to our house.

Advice please. I believe that her dog is dangerous and out of control 

Sorry to hear about this nasty experience. Hope you weren't too badly injured and that your dog that was bitten is OK. Have you thought about contacting the police or the Ordnungsamt?

Here's an article about the Bremen Ordnungsamt intervening to deal with dangerous dogs:

Bremer Ordnungsamt nimmt Kangal-Hunde in Obhut

@Henribear She's wrong. If I were you, I would inform her that you will be making a report to the Ordnungsamt that she has a dangerous dog that she is not controlling. This may cause her to have to not only pay your real damages, but take her dog through a Wesenstest. The dog can still be impounded if she is unable to control it during the test.

See if that doesn't get some movement. Don't mention any charges or any "if you don't do X, then I'll report" nonsense or you'll end up in trouble yourself. Let her arrive at her own conclusions.

Here is the office where you are:  https://www.service.bremen.de/sixcms/detail.php?gsid=bremen128.c.9556.de

And @Henribear, don't worry about the dog. Once impounded, these dogs are normally retrained and adopted out. Unless the dog is a persistently dangerous dog, s/he will not be euthanized.

You need to go to the vet and get a report on your dog's injuries. If you don't, the police will take no action.

I know this from personal experience.

I'm ok and so is my dog physically.  He is a nervous dog and I think it will take a rocket to get him out of the house again. The other dog is fine. Because of current circumstances our vet is running a limited service with only 1 person in his surgery.  As we are there Friday and my dog is not seriously bitten, I will keep an eye on him. We are doing reports tomorrow.  Her attitude stinks

Hi @Henribear

I am really sorry for your experience, I had a situation like that, my dog was on the line and we were waiting at the door of my apartment, suddenly a 12 years old girl who was with a 45 kg dog appeared, she couldn’t hold it and the dog was free. The other dog attacked us, I tried to pull my dog away behind me with the line, at one point my hand was in the middle and I got bitten, it was a mess.

So basically I went to the police and did an Anzeige, becasuse this was the second issue I had with this dog. The other dog was check by the Ordnugsamt, at that point my German was very bad and it was a struggle. The mother of the girl with the dog, started to lie about the facts but fortunately some of the neighbors were confirming what happened.

At the end nothing happened the insurance was offering me 40 Euro J , after a lot of discussions I was getting like 200 Euros, I had a bandage and in the medical report confirmed that I had temporary disability of 50 % of the hand compromised, I am freelancer programmer so was not able to work at 100 %.

Not being able to speak good German, and having no resources for a Lawyer was an issue, make it all worse.

If you and your dogs were attacked, you got injured, the owner of the other dogs does not care and you have the feeling that this dog is dangerous, I would definitely go to the police and make an Anzeige (THIS IS MY OPINION), thake in consideration that this is a process and will take some time. As someone mentioned here nothing will happen to the dog, but the owner will be defintely contacted by the ordnugsamt and they will check the dog. In my case it was so bad that after the incident I had to basically hide from the other dog when the girl was taking him out after the incident. I was not able to enjoy my time with my dog, I even try to talk with the owner of the dog to take my dog out in a different time, but she didn’t want to, she was really mad because of my Anzeige.

If you think you need get a compensation for you injury and the vet costs for you dog, if possible ask the dog owner for the insurance information, if you don’t want to talk with her, then mention that in the police report, I am sure they will tell you how to get the insurance information.

I wish you good luck!

The police have made a note. I think this virus has taken over every aspect of life. They have a lot to deal with and my injuries are small. Next time I walk I will take a dog whistle.  If we are attacked again we will drive to the big town to report her

22 minutes ago, Henribear said:

The police have made a note. I think this virus has taken over every aspect of life. They have a lot to deal with and my injuries are small. Next time I walk I will take a dog whistle.  If we are attacked again we will drive to the big town to report her

What is the dog whistle going to accomplish? Your dogs were on the leash. You are allowed to use pepper spray in case of dog attacks. I always carry one with me when I go walking with my dogs. I have never had to use it, but just whipping it out and showing it demonstratively to the dog owner of the aggressive dog works like magic.

A water spray aimed at the dog's face might also work, depending on the rage of the dog. I used one to stop my daughter's dog, which is in my care during the day, to stop barking at other dogs when walking past them. 

4 hours ago, Henribear said:

Thank you, I have a pepper spray somewhere

I did try everything, the whistle, also some kind of device that makes a high pitch, nothing worked at all. I did not use the pepper spray as I was advised by the Police not do so, because If the owner of the other dogs gets affected by the pepper spray, I could get in trouble this was in 2007

When the attack happened the owner stayed in her garden, the dog came through the hedge and across the road, but was on a tether. The owner screamed at me to move away from her property but I was on a public road.  Anyway my dogs had wrapped their leads around my legs while her dog had his mouth on my dogs neck.  I only got away by stumbling into the field. 

Dogs are the kings in Germany.  Can do no wrong.  I've had two dogs get in my yard. One jumped the fence, the other probably ran through the bushes.  Both were chasing my cats. 

In the case of the bigger dog, the dog was not on a leash.  I heard some howling outside and my cat came running inside.  I went out to check and found a big sheepish looking dog in my yard trying to go over the locked gate, unsuccessfully.  An older man came hobbling along shouting "Emma, Emma".  Upon seeing me, he asked me if I had hit his dog.  I told him I didn't, perhaps my cat did though.  But what is your dog doing in my yard?  No reply, no apology.  Meanwhile the old guys wife is berating some guy for cycling on the footpath.  I had to go inside again to get the key to the gate to let the dog out.  No thanks, no apology.

The second time a young woman rang my doorbell.  She tells me her dogs leash is in my garden. I went out to get it and gave it to her.  I commented that the dog is missing.  She said yes, it took off.  So she'd had it on a leash but hadn't been holding it properly and it took off, entered my garden and somehow managed to get rid of the leash there.  She did say thanks but no apology. 

Next time a dog enters my garden, I might just keep it.

@LeonG Don't just keep it. Call the Ordnungsamt and ask them where the city approved tierheim is and take it there. Then the owner will have to pay all kinds of fees to get it back. When they come to you to claim it say, "I'm sorry. I cannot be sure this is your dog. I will give it to the authorities to sort out." It's one thing to lose a dog and be sorry and grateful. It's entirely another when the people act like they're doing YOU the favor.

9 hours ago, Henribear said:

3 hours ago, diego.hh said:

I did try everything, the whistle, also some kind of device that makes a high pitch, nothing worked at all. I did not use the pepper spray as I was advised by the Police not do so, because If the owner of the other dogs gets affected by the pepper spray, I could get in trouble this was in 2007

I think there is some confusion regarding the whistle. At least as far as I know, it is used to call a dog (who is trained to respond to it), not to scare them off.

23 minutes ago, BobbyDigital said:

I think there is some confusion regarding the whistle. At least as far as I know, it is used to call a dog (who is trained to respond to it), not to scare them off.

Yes you are right, the whistle is meant to train dogs, but I was told that the sound it makes, will get the dog´s attention for a couple of seconds, so in a case of an attack I will have the chance to pull the dog away … in my case it did not work at all.