African American Woman in Munich

2 posts in this topic

Hi all! 

As the title suggests, I am planning on moving to Munich and I'm from the United States. I'm biracial (black/white), and have a decent understanding of German. I took it all throughout high school and have continued with lessons since then, so I'm not completely new to the language. I'm really excited about the move but have a few concerns:

How will I be perceived as a brown person?

I've been to Germany about three times now and the Bavaria region twice, and Munich remains my all time favorite! I've never experienced any racism while on vacation in Germany and have found Germans to be even more helpful and kind than Americans! I know that visiting a country and living are two completely different things, so that's why I'm a bit hesitant. 

I've never experienced much racism while living in the United States. I grew up in a very liberal majority white town so I'm used to being the minority. It doesn't bother me as much anymore. I know that you can't define an entire country as racist and only certain people have those mindsets and attitude. I just want to make sure I'm not jumping in over my head and i'm making the right decision. 

Also, I'm not sure if this will help but I'm actually a citizen of the EU (Ireland). Will this help me at all when moving and living in Germany? 

Thank you!! 

1 hour ago, FionnualaMAz said:

As the title suggests, I am planning on moving to Munich and I'm from the United States.

Bavaria was the first state in Germany to declare a state of emergency and I would would highly recommend waiting a few months after things have normalised before even considering moving.

I'm biracial (black/white), and have a decent understanding of German.

Look at the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and find an online placement test to determine your level. If you use the search function you can find many online resources to help you improve your German. 

How will I be perceived as a brown person?

My experience in Berlin is that speaking German usually means it is more likely that you'll be treated like a local and there is sometimes a subtle difference between locals and foreigners. 

Also, I'm not sure if this will help but I'm actually a citizen of the EU (Ireland). Will this help me at all when moving and living in Germany? 

Being an EU citizen will make it much easier, however, unless you are independently wealthy, you will need a job. 

What formal qualifications do you have?