Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can Krankenkasse cancel membership?

17 posts in this topic

I have a concern about my Geseztliche Krankenkasse withdrawing access if I am outside Germany for too long? I am conscious that my access is based on Germany being my home. I am now taking a short holiday in England, but due to the Coranavirus crisis, and only due to that, I may well stay somewhat longer than planned.  Can the Krankenkasse withdraw my access when I return to Germany, if it extends beyond a certain time period? If so when would that be, after 2 , 3 or 6 months, or longer?

(Technically, my understanding is that I am not a "member" of the Krankenkasse, but qualify for their cover as a retired British S1 holder).

It is not my intention to use my Krankenkasse card in the UK, and indeed its not needed there as I have automatic access to the NHS having paid insurance contributions into the UK system through my working life. 

My main concern is that the Krankenkasse, may say sorry, we can't cover you anymore, which would be a most unwelcome complication during the Brexit saga.   

This is just one factor in deciding whether to prolong my stay in England during this Corona crisis. (discussing further on another thread).

(Technically, my understanding is that I am not a "member" of the Krankenkasse, but qualify for their cover as a retired British S1 holder).

My main concern is that the Krankenkasse, may say sorry, we can't cover you anymore, which would be a most unwelcome complication during the Brexit saga.   

You do realise that your S1 won't cover you after the transition period is over unless your government agrees to continue paying, right?

Furthermore, under normal circumstances it wouldn't be such a problem and they might not even notice that you were gone. However, if the border closes for long, it is difficult to predict what will happen.

Are you properly registered (angemeldet) here with your own apartment?

8 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

I have a concern about my Geseztliche Krankenkasse withdrawing access if I am outside Germany for too long? I am conscious that my access is based on Germany being my home. I am now taking a short holiday in England, but due to the Coranavirus crisis, and only due to that, I may well stay somewhat longer than planned.

It´s going to be a massacre in England, why do you want to go there or even stay? Stay put.

Not only people will die in larger numbers and the NHS will be saturated, but I also expect riots and looting, when things start falling apart, as seen in London a few years ago. Don´t go there, it will be a complete disaster!

The only way to avoid it is to get rid of that idiot in charge, but I don´t it will occur soon enough to prevent the disaster.

1 hour ago, engelchen said:

You do realise that your S1 won't cover you after the transition period is over unless your government agrees to continue paying, right?

The UK withdrawal agreement that was signed in January does guarantee continued health cover for pensioners after 2020 (as long as they arrive before the end of the transition period) among other things.  So it all looked more encouraging, until of course Boris saying that despite agreeing to it, he might renege.

https://britishineurope.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/BiE-WA-p3-Health-Pensions-Social-Security.pdf

Thanks for the above advice, but does anybody know if Krankenkassen cancel membership if you are out of Germany for an extended period? And if so, after what kind of period?  

20 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

Thanks for the above advice, but does anybody know if Krankenkassen cancel membership if you are out of Germany for an extended period?

If you move back to the UK (not just visit), you lose your German coverage. 

20 hours ago, alexunterwegs said:

And if so, after what kind of period?  

It'll depend on the circumstances. If you decide to wait out the pandemic "at home" and home means the UK to you it could be a problem. 

I am in the same situation, my wife and I came over to the UK at the end of January intending to stay for a few weeks to look after my 93 year old mother in Birmingham, we have now decided to stay, because of the virus. We both have German and UK passports, but my mum only has British, (she is actually German, but lost her German citizenship by marrying my dad in 1947). We don't  know the situation with the Krankenkasse either, because when we are in the UK we are covered by the NHS, but we're also paying the DAK 500 Euros a month, I believe we have to keep paying it unless we Abmeld in Germany, which we cant do, because I also have a German registered car over here with us. It's all very complicated..

3 minutes ago, Brummie in the Sauerland said:

because when we are in the UK we are covered by the NHS

When you moved to Germany, did you inform your GP /NHS?  

My understanding is that you are actually covered by the German KK, and The NHS will be recompensed by them while you are in the UK. So , you should be showing your KK card. 

NHS coverage is based on residency, and your current home life / residency is Germany.

On 3/16/2020, 10:29:26, alexunterwegs said:

Thanks for the above advice, but does anybody know if Krankenkassen cancel membership if you are out of Germany for an extended period? And if so, after what kind of period?  

They CAN, but I think they only do so if you apply for it. I have done it twice, both times since I was a Rentnerin. Both times, I went to India for three months and I cancelled so as not to have to pay Beitraege in that time -- it would have been almost 2000 €, yet I would not have been covered. They did so without a problem, and when I returned I was able to join back under the same conditions.

The second time I did so it was more serious as I wanted to cancel for good, as I now live in Ireland,  and they had been arguing that I cannot under any circumstances cancel my membership. Then I remembered that I had gone to India in 2018 for three months. I submitted all kinds of proof, such as a one way flight ticket, a letter from my landlady saying that I had moved out, etc.  I should have used that argument from the start, as they cancelled then immediately!

AFAIK they don't cancel themselves if you take an extended holiday abroad but return afterwards. Others might know otherwise.
In those two cases, they would not have cancelled if I had not specifically applied. 

In the first case, when I intended returning to Germany afterwards, they wanted to see my return flight ticket as well a travel insurance policy. 

Yes, we've been living in Germany since 2004, 

1 hour ago, snowingagain said:

When you moved to Germany, did you inform your GP /NHS?  

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

My understanding is that you are actually covered by the German KK, and The NHS will be recompensed by them while you are in the UK. So , you should be showing your KK card. 

NHS coverage is based on residency, and your current home life / residency is Germany.

Yes, that is supposed to be the case, but the last time I went to a GP in the UK they weren't interested in the German card and just treated me like a normal NHS patient. 

To be honest, I dont have any  intention at the moment in going anywhere near a doctors  or a hospital, we are just staying in and having food delivered. It's just that the Krankenkasse have sent a letter to our home address wanting us to send them details of our earnings, and I cant do that from here.

I was wondering whether you can sign off  from it if you are spending an extended period away. I imagine they wont though unless you de-register in Germany which I cant do anyway from here.

7 minutes ago, Brummie in the Sauerland said:

Yes, that is supposed to be the case, but the last time I went to a GP in the UK they weren't interested in the German card and just treated me like a normal NHS patient. 

So, they knew your NHS number?   You should no longer have one, if you deregistered from your GP when you moved in 2004.  When I took my son for an urgent appointment in London, they were not interested in my EHIC card, but made me pay cash.  

1 minute ago, Brummie in the Sauerland said:

I wasn't asked for anything, maybe it just depends on the doctor

But you did deregister with your GP when you left in 2004?  If you were still on their system of course they would treat you without further ado.  

56 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

So, they knew your NHS number?   You should no longer have one, if you deregistered from your GP when you moved in 2004.  When I took my son for an urgent appointment in London, they were not interested in my EHIC card, but made me pay cash.  

NHS number  - mean NI number dont you 

When I eft UK 1989, they de-resgistred me from my GP a couple of years later - but you always keep your NI number.

I pay class 3 contributions to the UK to maintain my UK state pension, with my NI number. If you have a state health insurance you can use it all over europe, what will happen after the WA has ended it still being talked about.

so at the moment the OP can use his German state health care in the UK, and give then your German number and you will not have to pay.