Quick question: Renew subletting contract?

7 posts in this topic

Want to get some second opinions here on my situation, and it's two-fold. I'm a non-EU citizen working 9 to 5 at an office here in Hamburg after graduating from a German university; I've already passed my Probezeit. My Kündigungsfrist is 6 weeks now. The office is still clumsily chugging along, but I'm scared as to prospects a month down the line. I expect with my current savings of around €6.5k, in the event of a lay-off I have just over six months of emergency funds, but I dunno if I'm eligible for unemployment as a non-citizen. And does the 6 week Kündigungsfrist apply in all cases (short of bankruptcy, I guess?) a.k.a. I will regardless still have 6 weeks of pay if I'm laid off tomorrow.

And the second question, I'm currently living in a temporary WG sublet, original contract was to end at the end of March, and we agreed to extend it to mid August. While as stated before with the emergency funds I can survive until that contract ends, do you foresee a scenario critical enough that has me unemployed and utterly useless during that entire period? i.e. should I request a more flexible sublet contract, i.e. perhaps month to month?

6 minutes ago, Pandekage said:

but I dunno if I'm eligible for unemployment as a non-citizen.

Have you already been employed for more than 12 months in the past 2 years? Only the months where you made unemployment insurance contributions counts.

2 hours ago, engelchen said:

Have you already been employed for more than 12 months in the past 2 years? Only the months where you made unemployment insurance contributions counts.

From 11.2016 to 3.2019 I was a working student (120 full days/year), afterwards a full time Angestellte. Don't have the pay slips from so far back but I was certainly getting taxed.

Just now, Pandekage said:

From 11.2016 to 3.2019 I was a working student (120 full days/year), afterwards a full time Angestellte. Don't have the pay slips from so far back but I was certainly getting taxed.

Students are subject to income tax and pension, but exempt from unemployment and health insurance contributions. If you didn't pay unemployment insurance contributions at that job, it is not considered for the determination of your entitlement. 

Why don't you have the pay slips anymore?

19 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Students are subject to income tax and pension, but exempt from unemployment and health insurance contributions. If you didn't pay unemployment insurance contributions at that job, it is not considered for the determination of your entitlement. 

Understood. So I guess I'll be coming up on 1 year (3.2019-4.2020) of unemployment contributions, which according to a quick Google search qualifies me for 6 months of unemployment? I guess that would be adequate if I need to live out my sublet contract to mid August, and then fly back to the US with tail between my legs in the absolute worst case scenario.

19 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Why don't you have the pay slips anymore?

Hmm due to a filing blunder 🙈 I do have the Steuererklärungen from full time work onwards. Hopefully I'm not in hot water over this? I was informed I don't need to file tax returns as an Angestellte..?

16 hours ago, Pandekage said:

Understood. So I guess I'll be coming up on 1 year (3.2019-4.2020) of unemployment contributions, which according to a quick Google search qualifies me for 6 months of unemployment?

If you started your full-time job in March 2019, then you're entitled to ALG I for 6 months (your entitlement will increase based on how long you actually end up working).

and then fly back to the US with tail between my legs in the absolute worst case scenario.

I still don't understand why you think going back to the US where you have better career prospects is the worse case scenario.

Hmm due to a filing blunder 🙈 I do have the Steuererklärungen from full time work onwards. Hopefully I'm not in hot water over this? I was informed I don't need to file tax returns as an Angestellte..?

Perhaps @PandaMunich could advise on the benefits of filing voluntarily.

On 3/16/2020, 9:37:41, engelchen said:

I still don't understand why you think going back to the US where you have better career prospects is the worse case scenario.

Well under normal circumstances I‘d agree with you, but returning to the US unemployed and uninsured in the middle of a pandemic is not a pretty idea. It‘d be optimistic to assume our crisis‘ll be over by August..