Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

covid-19 testing for people without health insurance

29 posts in this topic

Hello to you all, and I hope you are keeping well out there.

A person in my course tested positive for covid-19, and some of us in the course have symptoms, me not yet, but i have health insurance, some of them don't afaik

as they are here technically as students just for a 9 week bootcamp - does anyone know the situation for people like that getting tested? Also any tips for where to get tested in the city that is not going to be a crazy place?

Also there is one guy in the class who has a heart condition and asthma who was in close contact with the person confirmed - he has health insurance but it runs out in 15 days and TK just rejected him. Not sure what he should do either. It's all so crazy considering the tests are being made in Berlin.

Just now, terenceterence said:

i have health insurance, some of them don't afaik

as they are here technically as students just for a 9 week bootcamp - does anyone know the situation for people like that getting tested?

Those who don't have health insurance will need to pay the bill themselves. 

Just now, terenceterence said:

Also any tips for where to get tested in the city that is not going to be a crazy place?

You are supposed to call before going anywhere!

Please read the message on the website of the Health Department:

https://www.berlin.de/sen/gesundheit/themen/gesundheitsschutz-und-umwelt/infektionsschutz/coronavirus/coronavirus-prevention-in-berlin-903922.en.php

2 minutes ago, terenceterence said:

Also there is one guy in the class who has a heart condition and asthma who was in close contact with the person confirmed - he has health insurance but it runs out in 15 days and TK just rejected him.

Where is he from, what type of health insurance does he have, and what is he doing in Germany? 

2 minutes ago, terenceterence said:

Not sure what he should do either.

He should read the info on the website and then call the hotline.

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Yes we are all trying to get through to helplines - but there is only one for english afaik - don't worry nobody is running anywhere going crazy.

Those who don't have health insurance will need to pay the bill themselves. 

You are supposed to call before going anywhere!

Please read the message on the website of the Health Department:

https://www.berlin.de/sen/gesundheit/themen/gesundheitsschutz-und-umwelt/infektionsschutz/coronavirus/coronavirus-prevention-in-berlin-903922.en.php

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You should all get tested and then quarantine for at least 14 days.

I'd already planned to stay in for a month (got all provisions and did it without depleting shelves by going to smaller local markets), I bought a bike a month ago to stop taking public transport, stopped all social life on Feb 1st. Did everything I was supposed to and then I get the email confirming the case. I would have been in quarantine anyway. I said to people the course should have been shut down a month ago, but nobody listens to me for some reason.

10 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Where is he from, what type of health insurance does he have, and what is he doing in Germany? 

He should read the info on the website and then call the hotline.

He's from Spain, not sure what type of insurance he has, he's in Germany for 2 months doing a bootcamp, so a student I guess

1 hour ago, terenceterence said:

He's from Spain, not sure what type of insurance he has, he's in Germany for 2 months doing a bootcamp, so a student I guess

Treatment and costs are two separate issues. 

You just have to keep trying the hotline until you get through and the hotline will give you the treatment info. 

With regards to your Spanish friend there is no point in my trying to speculate on  his insurance situation if you don't have any details. I would strongly recommend that you get your friend to contact @john g. for assistance with health insurance. 

Rumor has it that in America they have no more stuff to test with: it comes from China. Possible? What with the embargo...that could be a problem. 

2 hours ago, terenceterence said:

If he´s from Spain, he will surely have an EHIC card from Spain,  which he can use legally as he is only in Germany temporarily.

3 hours ago, terenceterence said:

Also there is one guy in the class who has a heart condition and asthma who was in close contact with the person confirmed - he has health insurance but it runs out in 15 days and TK just rejected him. Not sure what he should do either. It's all so crazy considering the tests are being made in Berlin.

Why did TK reject him?

Excellent question, Up! I´m gonna guess: non-EU and with travel insurance.

On 14/03/2020, 17:47:30, UpToWick said:

Why did TK reject him?

Hi sorry to be late back here. all the people who need info about where to get tested if they need to get tested etc. = sorted

Just trying to help out my Spanish friend now. I understand he was rejected because he is not technically living here - as in he was only here for the course but is now stranded. 

26 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

27 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

so why can't he use his home cover?  ie his EHIC card?

because he was on a certain kind of payment scheme in Spain from the government, and he bought a temporary one for when he was here

On 3/14/2020, 6:50:50, john g. said:

Excellent question, Up! I´m gonna guess: non-EU and with travel insurance.

Yep, travel insurance.

2 hours ago, terenceterence said:

because he was on a certain kind of payment scheme in Spain from the government, and he bought a temporary one for when he was here

Certain kind of payment scheme in Spain from the Government? You mean public health insurance.  Again: if the guy is a Spanish national, he will have an EHIC card and be entitled to health care in Germany if there on a temporary basis. Basta.

If he hasn't organised himself an EHIC card, can he use some kind of number (like an NHS number) to get access to that EHIC scheme?