Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,946 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

The myth in the US (and probably other places) is that Germany is a clean, orderly place.  A visit to any public space here quickly kills that false notion - public areas tend to be trash-strewn dungheaps.  During the Summer months in particular, parks and walkways/trails smell like dog poo and rotting snack food.

I have become inured to the sight of Hundekot and discarded potato chips bags everywhere, but now the thing seems to be to toss your used facemask and latex gloves on the ground.  Who is going to pick THAT up???

Move to a better place in Germany.  I felt the same way when I lived in Mannheim, but now that we're in Erlangen, I feel I am in an entirely new country. Yes, there's  still of bit of yuck here and there, but the sidewalk isn't strewn with cigarette butts and the trash cans get used. We even noticed today that a trash can in the middle of the woods was full of beer and sekt bottles.

Trump has evidence but he ain't telling.

President Trump said Thursday that he had seen evidence to prove that the coronavirus pandemic had spread from a laboratory in Wuhan, China, but he declined to detail what that evidence was.

“I’m not allowed to tell you that,” he said at a White House news conference at which he repeatedly accused China’s government of being negligent in its response to the virus, while leaving open the possibility it was intentionally spread.

Speaking to reporters after an event intended to highlight the administration’s efforts to protect nursing home residents from COVID-19, Trump was asked about a statement released Thursday by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence that stated the U.S. believed the coronavirus was “not manmade or genetically modified.”

Trump seemed unfamiliar with the finding and pressed the reporter for the name of the official behind the statement, which was attributed only to the Office of Director of National Intelligence.”

The reporter asked the president if he had personally seen evidence that the virus originated in a laboratory at the Wuhan Institute of Virology.

“Yes, I have,” Trump said.

Pressed later on the specific evidence that gave him confidence that the virus had come from a lab, Trump said, “I can’t tell you that. I’m not allowed to tell you that.”

rest

1 hour ago, French bean said:

I've done both in the UK but not here and I've seen others do it here. But just moaning about it doesn't solve the problem.

you've picked up discarded gloves and facial masks in the UK?  You've picked up potentially hazardous materials during a pandemic as a hobby?  Do you pick up discarded syringes and condoms on the street as well?  With gloves on or your bare hands?

Looks like Paris, TX opened up too early -

Barely a week ago, rural Lamar County could make a pretty good argument for Texas' reopening on Friday.

Only a handful of the 50,000 residents here, right on the border with Oklahoma, had tested positive for the coronavirus. None had died. The mayor of Paris, Texas — a pit stop for drivers passing through to snap a selfie with the city's miniaturized Eiffel Tower — had drive-thru virus testing in the works, just to give locals peace of mind. Some wore masks but many saw little reason to bother.

Then an outbreak at a nursing home turned up over the weekend.

Now at least 65 people are infected, and everything has changed....

The whiplash in Paris from healthy outlier to overnight hot spot illustrates the balancing act states are taking on as they begin relaxing public health restrictions, particularly in places with Republican governors, who broadly support President Donald Trump's determination to get the U.S. economy back up and running.

here

19 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

you've picked up discarded gloves and facial masks in the UK?  You've picked up potentially hazardous materials during a pandemic as a hobby?  Do you pick up discarded syringes and condoms on the street as well?  With gloves on or your bare hands?

I think Cowboy was talking about everyday rubbish which incidentally now includes PPE so no need to get over excited. I picked up broken bottles and bits of rubbish yes. Nothing more. We don't live in Berlin so while we do have people pissing up against the wall and the odd one dropping their Kegs for a dump, I doubt it's anything like what you see.

22 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Move to a better place in Germany. 

Unfortunately my options are very limited due to family circumstances.  I have been (casually) looking in the immediate surroundings for a better area, but - I like my apartment, the building, and my neighbors very much.  If I move to a "better" town, I may lose out on those things.  It's a dilemma for sure.

4 minutes ago, French bean said:

I think Cowboy was talking about everyday rubbish which incidentally now includes PPE so no need to get over excited. I picked up broken bottles and bits of rubbish yes. Nothing more. We don't live in Berlin so while we do have people pissing up against the wall and the odd one dropping their Kegs for a dump, I doubt it's anything like what you see.

I bought a trashpicker and heavy-duty gloves last Summer to combat the ever-growing trash problem around the duckpond that is located behind my apartment building. The duckpond should be a nice area, but early in 2019 there were some significant demographic changes in my town that led to an explosion of trash, situated around the benches and grassy areas overlooking the duck pond.  A large rat infestation developed as a result.

I spent quite a few Saturday mornings picking up trash, and found that the litterbugs would actually redouble their efforts to litter when they saw me.  I recall one Saturday when a group saw me, started shouting insults at me, then threw their trash all over the place and smugly said, "We are glad to help out!" 

Eventually the town reacted to the numerous complaints from me and my neighbors about the trash and the rats.  The town put in trashcans and poisoned the rats.  The trash problem reduced for a bit, but now that everyone is wandering around the duckpond and the nearby orchards due to pandemic boredom, the trash problem is growing once again.  I expect the rats will be back this Summer.

And I'm with @dessa_dangerous - I am NOT going to pick up medical waste.  So, who will pick it up?  No one.

No one's expecting you to pick up medical waste and I wouldn't either. Interesting you link it to a demographic change. Different cultures, different standards I assume. We have the same with neighbours that recently moved into the Apartment block. Bins now overflowing, plastic in environmental waste, can't be asked to breakdown boxes etc. Definately a different demographic profile to the rest of us.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

I felt the same way when I lived in Mannheim, but now that we're in Erlangen, I feel I am in an entirely new country.

I know that country, it's called Siemens 👻.

30 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I know that country, it's called Siemens 👻.

:lol:

On 29.4.2020, 22:48:17, kiplette said:

My best mask story this week was going in to Lidl, and there was a dude with his mask on, yes, covering his lower face, good, covering his nose, super, but he'd cut a hole for his mouth.

:o

What do you bet he's a chain smoker. 

2 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I live near a kindergarten and have picked up mask and a glove.   Also a discarded injection thingy for some sort of human hormone, which probably fell out of a Restmüll bin as it was collection day.  I use plastic bags on my hand and then wash a lot.  I am worried a child might grab these things and hurt themselves.   

4 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

Oops! It's May day isn't it? I blame this damned lockdown :rolleyes:

I wasn't the only one, I received an email from Real about today's special offers...

3 hours ago, French bean said:

I think Cowboy was talking about everyday rubbish which incidentally now includes PPE so no need to get over excited. 

Who's excited?  You suggested Space Cowboy shouldn't chat on a topic literally named "whine about stuff related to corona here" about "PPE" on the street.  You're the one who thinks you're in charge of what people are allowed to complain about.  

I picked up broken bottles and bits of rubbish yes. Nothing more. We don't live in Berlin so while we do have people pissing up against the wall and the odd one dropping their Kegs for a dump, I doubt it's anything like what you see.

Ah, that old chestnut.  You see, I live in a residential neighborhood in a bucolic setting but nevertheless it is quite centrally located in the largest city in the Federation.  I have seen neither PPE nor condoms nor syringes lying about (as I don't live actually IN Bahnhof Zoo).  But since you're so willing to pick up potentially diseased objects and anyone who isn't can STFU and GTFO according to you, I posed your own ridiculous suggestions back to you.  That's it.

3 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

I am NOT going to pick up medical waste.  So, who will pick it up?  No one.

Even in the filth-ridden cesspool of Berlin ;) it's somebody's job to pick up trash.  Your town really doesn't have anything?  Don't street cleaning machines, sidewalk cleaning machines, humans picking up trash come along every so often and pick up the nasties?

Space Cowboy: " 2019 there were some significant demographic changes in my town that led to an explosion of trash, " you already learned PC-language.

I lived in Mainz some years ago. Glad I left before the demographic change.

I took my mate Pete (81) something to eat today and he wanted to shake my head.

“ Not allowed, Pete, the over 70s are particularly vulnerable with this corona lark“😢

Pete: „ well, I‘m alright then. I‘m over 80.“

Brilliant!😜

So, in Berlin it is confirmed that kids in primary schools are going back to school next week, starting with 6th graders.   Classes were split in two and they will be in school two days per week. 

Requirement to send the kids to school in still on, but exceptions for kids with family members in "high risk" groups are accepted (not sure why high risk was in quotes in the announcement).   But they said, "there is no capacity to allocate individual needs".  So I am not sure what that means, it sounds like if you do not send the kid to school you are on your own.

Masks are not required.

I am not confident.