Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,946 posts in this topic

If you want to save money next Christmas, now is the perfect time to tell the kids that Santa didn't make it through the pandemic.

Yes, definitely find out what your local Ordnungsamt requires!

My local aldi had staff wearing those plastic shields until it became compulsory to wear a mask to go shopping - now the staff have to wear masks, and can choose to wear the plastic thingy as well...

rob, are stores around your way allowing for a grace period for compliance as well?  I was a good girl and covered my face while shopping at my local Edeka and staff wore masks too, but it seems a number of customers hadn't gotten the memo yet.  Since the store is sooo small it's not possible or practical to put up the plexiglass dividers at the till that even some spätis have in place and other, larger supermarkets are using as well.  The Kassierin had to tell every other customer that "next time" they will need to wear a mask.  I'm guessing they're giving people a couple of days to catch up with the news before installing someone to control the front door.  (For a shop of its size, they have an astounding number of plainclothes security personnel, sadly not unangemessen in our neighborhood though.)

1 minute ago, dessa_dangerous said:

rob, are stores around your way allowing for a grace period for compliance as well?

- no.

The police come for a walk around Aldi at least once per day, and check on things.

Yesterday they followed somebody out of the store who was not wearing a mask, and took down their number plate - not sure what happens next, but I would assume they will at least get a written warning and maybe have to pay a fine.

I was at Real in Wiesbaden yesterday...   I saw some guy with a mask on, but just hung under his beard...  I asked him to put his mask on ... he looked at  me, smirked and took the mask off....  2 minutes later his ankle had an awful accident with my 4 wheeled distancer!    Fucking prick!

Guess who forgot it's Easter, went to Real this morning ...and it was shut!

I'll just have to face the 'starving hoards' tomorrow :angry:

1 minute ago, Wulfrun said:

Guess who forgot it's Easter, went to Real this morning ...and it was shut!

Umm - Easter was weeks ago.

@robinson100 ahhh but I remembered just now that Berlin was the last state to make wearing masks in shops mandatory, it's only been law since day before last.  I was at the store yesterday.  So maybe they couldn't afford to turn away every second person at the door.  This neighborhood is full of all sorts of people I'm sure don't read or watch German news (people who don't speak German/German as a first language, resident tourists, assorted hipsters, the willfully ignorant like so many of my neighbors etc).  Would be quite a job to turn all of them away... maybe they tried to enforce it on Wednesday already and saw how hopeless it was.  Dunno.

The myth in the US (and probably other places) is that Germany is a clean, orderly place.  A visit to any public space here quickly kills that false notion - public areas tend to be trash-strewn dungheaps.  During the Summer months in particular, parks and walkways/trails smell like dog poo and rotting snack food.

I have become inured to the sight of Hundekot and discarded potato chips bags everywhere, but now the thing seems to be to toss your used facemask and latex gloves on the ground.  Who is going to pick THAT up????

They use to be clean and in the 80's when I was stationed here there was a lot of civic pride. But the World has changed, generally people don't give a shit anymore and it's always someone else's responsibility. But what's stopping you picking it up or saying something when you see stuff being dropped?

16 minutes ago, French bean said:

But what's stopping you picking it up 

seriously?

or saying something when you see stuff being dropped?

it's Germany.  Where I'm from, people most definitely police each other.  Don't vandalize public property.  Don't litter.  Don't be rude.

Here, in the best case, you might be ignored or laughed at.  Worst case, get an earful of excuses and thinly veiled insults.  Definitely not worth the effort and almost guaranteed not to have the desired effect.

I've done both in the UK but not here and I've seen others do it here. But just moaning about it doesn't solve the problem.

12 minutes ago, French bean said:

They use to be clean and in the 80's when I was stationed here there was a lot of civic pride. But the World has changed, generally people don't give a shit anymore and it's always someone else's responsibility.

This is true. I also remember how clean the streets and parks here used to be many years ago. 

13 minutes ago, French bean said:

But what's stopping you picking it up or saying something when you see stuff being dropped?

I've stopped saying anything as you usually get a gobful of abuse when you do. I do pick up the broken glass lying in my path to protect my dog's paws. 

21 minutes ago, French bean said:

But just moaning about it doesn't solve the problem.

Since the Corona restrictions the local park and the streets have stayed clean, mainly because the teenagers are no longer hanging around and the park is now daily patrolled by the Ordnungsamt / Police. I asked one of the Ordnungsamt officials whether they had noticed how clean everything is now, which they affirmed. They also said that they cannot fine the teenagers on the spot, they can only point out to them that throwing rubbish on the ground is an offence and not to do it again. They are underage. They aren't even allowed to go along to the parents house and talk with them. Not even the police. They know the offenders just laugh at them behind their backs. They also told me that they have asked the local Fridays for Future group for assistance several times but they got no response. They also mentioned that the Jugendamt was too lax. I don't really know what that was supposed to mean in detail, but I do know that teenagers very well know that it's practically impossible to prosecute them for anything, which explains their insolent cheekiness when adults tell them off. This is also evident in schools against their teachers. It didn't used to be like this. It seems the youth protection law is being abused by the youths themselves. I know that it's not only the youngsters who cause the rubbish problem, but here where I live it's pretty evident that they are the main offenders.

Trump's people stormed the Michigan Capitol building protesting stay at home orders. Some were armed an many had no masks.

"LIBERATE MICHIGAN!" - D.T.

Hundreds of protesters entered the Michigan State Capitol building Thursday and crowded its halls and staircases demanding that the state legislature not extend Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's coronavirus stay-at-home order.

Numerous protesters, some not wearing masks, got into the faces of state police officers stationed inside the building and shouted to be let into the chambers, which are closed to visitors due to health precautions.

State legislators were meeting to discuss extending Michigan's state of emergency, which was issued on March 10 and was slated to end on Thursday.

"Vote no!" protesters shouted inside the building.

the rest

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Trump's people stormed the Michigan Capitol building protesting stay at home orders. Some were armed an many had no masks.

Rednecks gonna redneck.

5eac0200c799b_fark_L93iJLNgzArHR86DYqnD_

5eac0215eb01a_fark_y8a0MEClQ_n-kTvYnzcr8