Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,521 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Feierabend said:

I'm afraid a quick bit of fact checking revealed:

The claim circulating on social media is false. The poem was not written in 1869 but in March 2020, by Catherine (Kitty) O’Meara, a retired teacher from Madison, Wisconsin

From Reuters fact check and supported by various others.

Pretty obvious. New ways of being? Meditating? The Earth healing? New visions? 

That all reeks of post-modernity and warm'n'fuzzy American feel-goodism. In 1869, some of that figurative language did not really exist as such yet, and I think most people of the era would look at that 'poem' as strange occult/mystic gobbledygook and wondered what sort opium den could've produced it.

On 15.4.2020, 19:33:26, emkay said:

I read that the justgiving.com website crashed as so many were donating to Captain Moore’s collection. Seems likely, hopefully, that the website may waive or reduce their usual 5% commission.

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tomswalkforthenhs

15. Apr ...£9.3 Million 

30. Apr   £30 Million and rising

BBC shows PMs message to Capt. Tom Moore. Happy 100th Birthday !

At 100 laps of his garden,. his regiment came to give him a guard of honour...   100 laps

Now that he turns 100 years old today and his fundraising reaches £30 million,   Justgiving Fund

the Royal Air Force fly past with a Spitfire and Hurricane.                                   Flypast

Oh, and a local school displayed the some 140.000 birthday cards the Royal Mail delivered !    latest Tom Moore news

Gave me a lift today, hope it warms you too.

Captain Tom's 100th Birthday flypast

Trust the Torygraph to get it wrong, it's a Spitfire and a Hurricane.

He was also made an honorary Colonel on his birthday

Trump's meat packing plant fix so he won't run out of hamberders -

And yet things might get even worse under the “fix” that President Trump came up with to head off a U.S. meat shortage. On Tuesday, he outlined a new executive order that designates meat processing plants as "critical infrastructure" under the Defense Production Act and forces them to remain open despite COVID-19 outbreaks. And the magic ingredient? Exempting the meat producers from liability if workers get sick, according to news reports, because it's "unfair to them." That is, unfair to the companies, not the workers exposed to the disease.

The order appears to impose no new health or safety obligations on the plants, leaving workers as vulnerable as ever to the virus. This disregard for the health and safety of people already working in appalling conditions is unconscionable. Processing meat is a brutal, high-stress and low-paid job in which people work shoulder to shoulder on production lines. But perhaps the president thinks these workers, most of them people of color and many of them undocumented immigrants, are expendable.

the rest

Pence is getting as good at lying as his boss -

OK. So now it turns out that when Mike Pence started talking about four million tests, he didn’t mean they’d be administered. He just meant they’d be procured. 

Monday night, ABC’s Jonathan Karl asked him: You said in early March there’d be four million tests by the next week. Now here it is six, seven weeks later, and you’re saying we’re just now getting them. “John, I appreciate the question, but it represents a misunderstanding on your part, and frankly a lot of people in the public’s part,” Pence said.

Let’s stop right there for a minute. Reproducing the words in cold type is one thing. But you really need to watch this moment. Specifically, you need to focus on Donald Trump’s face as Pence delivers that little lecture, at :48 seconds in:

Trump is looking out toward the reporters, presumably at Karl, and smirking. Good dog, Mikey; just what you’re up here to do. And you, Karl, you fake news bloodsucker, boy, did you get yours. 

It’s just two or three seconds, but those two or three seconds say everything. Millions infected, thousands dying; the topic at hand is his most colossal failure in this whole nightmare, a failure that has caused far more misery than this nation needed to have suffered. And he sees it as an occasion to smirk at a journalist.

Pence continued: “...about the difference between having a test versus the ability to actually process the test.” Eventually, Karl was able to follow up: “So when you said four million tests seven weeks ago, you were just talking about the tests being sent out, not actually being completed? I’m a little confused.” 

“John, I think, precisely correct.”

the rest

While shopping at REWE and Aldi, I noticed the shelf stockers now wear just a plastic face shield, like one you'd wear when weed whacking. One cashier also wore that. Is this a new option to the surgical mask style? If so, where is it stated that it's ok? 

I wore a cotton face mask 6 hours at work yesterday and it was 'ok' but I couldn't breathe as well as usual. I'd like to wear the plastic shield thing and see if it helps with my breathing. 

53 minutes ago, cybil said:

I'd like to wear the plastic shield thing and see if it helps with my breathing. 

In your situation I would imagine it would be fine. At Lidl yesterday, we were surprised that the staff weren't wearing masks at all. I wonder whether your manager can make that call. If you have a good manager, that is.

I've looked for something saying that they are ok to use in place of masks but couldn't find much. A buyer Q&A for this mask states that somebody saw staff at Rewe wearing something similar and was told by them it's ok, not that that's a good source. I did see a cashier at Kaufland wearing one.  RTL also shows it as an option:  https://www.rtl.de/cms/alternativen-zu-atemschutzmasken-im-blick-4518872.html

I'd say ask your manager and see what happens.

Lockdown lingo - are you fully conversant with the new terminology?

*Coronacoaster* The ups and downs of your mood during the pandemic. You’re loving lockdown one minute but suddenly weepy with anxiety the next. It truly is “an emotional coronacoaster”.

*Quarantinis* Experimental cocktails mixed from whatever random ingredients you have left in the house. The boozy equivalent of a store cupboard supper. Southern Comfort and Ribena quarantini with a glacé cherry garnish, anyone? These are sipped at “locktail hour”, ie. wine o’clock during lockdown, which seems to be creeping earlier with each passing week.

*Blue Skype thinking* A work brainstorming session which takes place over a videoconferencing app. Such meetings might also be termed a “Zoomposium”. Naturally, they are to be avoided if at all possible.

*Le Creuset wrist* It’s the new “avocado hand” - an aching arm after taking one’s best saucepan outside to bang during the weekly ‘Clap For Carers.’ It might be heavy but you’re keen to impress the neighbours with your high-quality kitchenware.

*Coronials* As opposed to millennials, this refers to the future generation of babies conceived or born during coronavirus quarantine. They might also become known as “Generation C” or, more spookily, “Children of the Quarn”.

*Furlough Merlot* Wine consumed in an attempt to relieve the frustration of not working. Also known as “bored-eaux” or “cabernet tedium”.

*Coronadose* An overdose of bad news from consuming too much media during a time of crisis. Can result in a panicdemic.

*The elephant in the Zoom* The glaring issue during a videoconferencing call that nobody feels able to mention. E.g. one participant has dramatically put on weight, suddenly sprouted terrible facial hair or has a worryingly messy house visible in the background.

*Quentin Quarantino* An attention-seeker using their time in lockdown to make amateur films which they’re convinced are funnier and cleverer than they actually are.

*Covidiot* or *Wuhan-ker* One who ignores public health advice or behaves with reckless disregard for the safety of others can be said to display “covidiocy” or be “covidiotic”. Also called a “lockclown” or even a “Wuhan-ker”.

*Goutbreak* The sudden fear that you’ve consumed so much wine, cheese, home-made cake and Easter chocolate in lockdown that your ankles are swelling up like a medieval king’s.

*Antisocial distancing* Using health precautions as an excuse for snubbing neighbours and generally ignoring people you find irritating.

*Coughin’ dodger* Someone so alarmed by an innocuous splutter or throat-clear that they back away in terror.

*Mask-ara* Extra make-up applied to "make one's eyes pop" before venturing out in public wearing a face mask.

*Covid-10* The 10lbs in weight that we’re all gaining from comfort-eating and comfort-drinking. Also known as “fattening the curve”. …

and finally, finally: One sentence to sum up 2020, so far: At one point this week, 1 loo roll was worth more than a barrel of crude oil!

Well my mother thinks the term lockdown is wrong.

She says it should be lockup, as that what the UK government has told her to do for at least 12 weeks.

5eab99a45dedc_everyones_an_epidemiologis

Or posting similar things to TT.

14 hours ago, cybil said:

While shopping at REWE and Aldi, I noticed the shelf stockers now wear just a plastic face shield, like one you'd wear when weed whacking. One cashier also wore that. Is this a new option to the surgical mask style? If so, where is it stated that it's ok? 

I wore a cotton face mask 6 hours at work yesterday and it was 'ok' but I couldn't breathe as well as usual. I'd like to wear the plastic shield thing and see if it helps with my breathing. 

One of my neighbours works at the local REAL and she gets panic attacks wearing the face mask. She's slightly asthmatic. So she asked the manager whether she could wear a face shield instead as she could breathe better with one of those. They had a couple, which she tested. Unfortunately, the local Ordnungsamt said that they weren't safe enough and they couldn't use them. The Ordnungsamt checks the situation there every day. So she went to the doctor, who gave her a sick note. So she's off sick now.

It might be a good idea to check with your local Ordnungsamt. They might have a different opinion in your parts.