Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,700 posts in this topic

Topics merged by admin

Ever since they relaxed the rules and started allowing folks to visit with 1 person outside of the household, I've seen an uptick of mini groups forming: Teens and young adults hanging out in groups of 5 to 6 and an increased number of families who have decided that it is just fine to cycle in a large group of two families. Over the weekend, I was shocked to see that one of our neighbours let their 8 yo daughter play with a playmate unsupervised the whole morning, without any distancing. And today, 3 families from our adjacent buildings who must be immune to Covid-19 decided they would have a large playdate in our courtyard with their young ones running wild. Zero distancing among the kids and zero distancing among the adults. No masks. I know people's patience are wearing thin but did I miss some kind of memo that social distancing is no longer applicable? 

6 minutes ago, mendaki said:

I know people's patience are wearing thin but did I miss some kind of memo that social distancing is no longer applicable? 

I think yours and mine were lost in the mail. 

4 hours ago, mendaki said:

Ever since they relaxed the rules and started allowing folks to visit with 1 person outside of the household, I've seen an uptick of mini groups forming: Teens and young adults hanging out in groups of 5 to 6 and an increased number of families who have decided that it is just fine to cycle in a large group of two families. Over the weekend, I was shocked to see that one of our neighbours let their 8 yo daughter play with a playmate unsupervised the whole morning, without any distancing. And today, 3 families from our adjacent buildings who must be immune to Covid-19 decided they would have a large playdate in our courtyard with their young ones running wild. Zero distancing among the kids and zero distancing among the adults. No masks. I know people's patience are wearing thin but did I miss some kind of memo that social distancing is no longer applicable? 

I’m seeing the same thing in Mitte, Berlin; it’s got me scratching my head. My neighbor downstairs has had people over several times, which I find rücksichtslos considering the average age in the building is 80 (he’s in his 30s).

Sometimes, when people hear about a variety of shut-down/open-up stages they interpret it as ambiguity and justify their actions as "well, people in so-and-so country are doing it, so we can do it too".  By taking themselves out of context they lose their local conditions.  It would be like saying, "People in the rural countryside where no cases exist have various freedoms, so why can't we even though we live in a hot spot urban area".  These people got the memo; they just didn't read it.  Never do.

These are the same people who check their balance at an ATM and walk away believing that's how much money they have to spend, forgetting the several checks they wrote the day before that haven't been charged yet against their balance.

School begins next Monday.     Public transport will have more riders.   Kids will be in a confined area with teachers and other students for prolonged periods. 

Explain to a teenager why meeting with friends in a park is off limits during some of the nicest weather of 2020 when a week from now it will be safe enough to sit in a room with 20-35 other kids.   

7 hours ago, mendaki said:

... did I miss some kind of memo that social distancing is no longer applicable? 

- no, you´ve missed nothing, Mendaki, but rumour has it that they are still working hard on finding a vaccine - against stupidity!

I took a walk today and saw that a group of people were standing in front of a takeout restaurant not really keeping distance, parents were chatting while their kids played together on the playground and a few old people sat on benches and chatted, although they were keeping a bit more distance between them.  I think it's the nice weather too.

The local grocery store has a new note in the window, please wear your mask, take a shopping cart, keep your distance and max. 2 people shopping together.  It's not like I've seen a lot of people shopping together there but last week a woman was coming into the store telling her two 10-12 yo. kids to wait outside.  An employee saw her and yelled out that it's ok, they can come in so she brought them in.

15 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

The president's press briefings tragically died after injecting disinfectant, light & hydroxychloroquine.

We can finally put this long national nightmare behind us. 

What's next?

Went out yesterday with my new black mask. People were everywhere, having tea parties, picnics, sports groups, meeting, running, ever...y...where and without a care or a distance.  People have had enough and schools restarting is the trickle that breaks the dam.

I was the only one with a mask, out of 1000 people. I felt like I was in the church of crazy Noah ark builder preppers cult. Going out in the park sucks, can't breath or smell the air. At least i didn't have to wait till 8-11p.m. though, that's when it normally quietens down.

I wonder about wave 1.5 now. I think wave 2 is October. 

5 hours ago, balticus said:

School begins next Monday.     Public transport will have more riders.   Kids will be in a confined area with teachers and other students for prolonged periods. 

Explain to a teenager why meeting with friends in a park is off limits during some of the nicest weather of 2020 when a week from now it will be safe enough to sit in a room with 20-35 other kids.   

Because a select group of epidemiologists, whose prediction models were 99 % correct, said so.  Mass unemployment doesn't kill at all.  Nope not even during the Great Depression.  People just need to learn to behave more like boxes.

Also who cares about cancer screenings?  Delay that to next year.  If millions more die of cancer it's all good as long as it wasn't Corona.

11 minutes ago, J0ker said:

Also who cares about cancer screenings?  Delay that to next year.  If millions more die of cancer it's all good as long as it wasn't Corona.

Did yours get delayed?

Just had my regular post-op every-three-month MRI and blood tests for cancer screening a few days ago, everything normal except didn't have to go back the next day to have the doctor tell me once again there's no problem, it was just over the phone. 

Got another one set up for July.  

8 minutes ago, silty1 said:

Did yours get delayed?

Just had my regular post-op every-three-month MRI and blood tests for cancer screening a few days ago, everything normal except didn't have to go back the next day to have the doctor tell me once again there's no problem, it was just over the phone. 

The wifes didn`t either,but many other things in hospital are being delayed.

They`re being delayed at the moment during a lockdown to keep capacity down,imagine how much would be delayed if there was no lockdown.

39 minutes ago, silty1 said:

Did yours get delayed?

Not mine but my grandmother's did for about 3 months.