Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,013 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Krieg said:

Yesterday in the supermarket it was a circus, people definitely have weird priorities.  There was a lady with a whole trolley full of coca-cola.   

indeed.  The thing I find most strange is that when I went to aldi on Thursday, it was very mellow - not many shoppers at all and it was lunchtime at that - there is often a rush around noon but not when I was there.

I simply can't wrap my head around the urge to panic buy, on a Saturday, with as many other people as possible, when "other people" are your potentially worst enemies at the mo.  It's so so strange.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

I'm kind of sad that my 2 big sporting events are canceled/postponed. March Madness and the Masters.

It is already getting hard to stay at home but we haven't killed each other yet.

Looking for silver linings here one of which is I hope that telecommuting will become more the norm in Germany for those who can/want to do it. It would cut down on traffic and ease the load on public transportation. Office space could be reconfigured and cut down as well saving companies a lot of money. The best thing would be that it cuts down on unnecessary business trips and flights. After this pandemic, maybe the mentality will change about meeting face to face. Feeling Greta-like.

Anyone else seeing any possible silver linings?

Only silver lining I can see is that the air may get cleaner. Italy and China have both seen dramatic declines in air pollution since the corona virus measures were implemented (see link below)

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-pollution/air-pollution-clears-in-northern-italy-after-coronavirus-lockdown-satellite-shows-idUSKBN2102X4

Today, Sunday morning, Lidl in Ireland was perfectly normal. Normal amount of people, shelves all stocked, lots of tp, one pallet full of it, a Lidl man filling up another pallet. But  a red sign saying you're only allowed 2 packets. The meat fridges seemed particularly full. I couldn't find hummus, but that was the only thiong missing from my list.

There's a rumour that Monaghan town is going into lockdown tomorrow, with gardai on the streets. But it's just a rumour.

Oh, and a rumour that Dublin airport will shut down tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

Watch your hands for at least 30 seconds ... and then dry them up with that hand towel you haven't changed since November.

Gross, dude. I am not coming to your house. All bathroom textiles are washed weekly.

My brother works in the emergency services in Madrid, which has been on lock-down for days and he's been given 17-hour shifts all next week. He was just telling me that the town looks like the set of an apocalyptic movie.

Interesting question re silver linings and home-made conspiracy theories...so many come to mind.  After a weekend enjoying spring gardening in the comforting knowledge that we have enough toilet paper for a week or so (!), nature will have a great chance of some regeneration. Greta did this all... mwah, ha, ha, ha!

@Smaug I hope your brother comes through this unscathed.  Though I imagine even witnessing it in a clinical setting is probably scathing in and of itself.

Just now, lisa13 said:

@Smaug I hope your brother comes through this unscathed.  Though I imaging even witnessing it in a clinical setting is probably scathing in and of itself.

Thank you, Lisa! So do I! He sometimes works as a dispatcher, but most of the time he's driving an ambulance all over town. 

What got me worried most is that, even though he has his own home, he spends most of his time at my parents, where he has his own bedroom. He's reassured me that he's not setting foot in mom and dad's house. My dad is 80 and has an autoimmune disease, although otherwise in decent health.

4 minutes ago, Smaug said:

Thank you, Lisa! So do I! He sometimes works as a dispatcher, but most of the time he's driving an ambulance all over town. 

What got me worried most is that, even though he has his own home, he spends most of his time at my parents, where he has his own bedroom. He's reassured me that he's not setting foot in mom and dad's house. My dad is 80 and has an autoimmune disease, although otherwise in decent health.

oh no - that's double trouble but honestly, if I trust anyone to respect the need to protect the elderly, it's people in healthcare.  they really do get it.  

regardless, virtual hugs to you (and your family) smaug

21 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

the thing with the trains is even weirder because at the times when it's silent and still enough in the city to hear them all the way down here, they're running every half an hour, maybe even less frequently than that.  But the trains seems to be running on regular schedule so I'm listening to them pull in and pull away every other minute.  Y'all!  I'm telling you, it's like living next to the station, only I live a kilometer away!  Super surreal.  It is actually getting louder as time goes on.  Which means the streets are getting emptier and quieter on an actually perceptible level.  This is some twilight zone level shit.

starting even earlier this evening with the S-bahn sounds coming in through my kipped window.  For reference, I live about four blocks north Ubhf Rathaus Neukölln, directly on the canal, and three bridges + two blocks west of Sbhf Neukölln.

Holy empty streets, Batman. 

do you think you've replaced your TP anxiety with this fixation on SBahn noises?  ;)

In all honesty I sometimes get noise from a not so close but not so far away train overpass (I'd guess it's about 600 meters away).  I get it all year round, from time to time, no idea why it's sometimes audible and other times not.  But I have never been able to correlate it with anything at all.  

same thing happens during the wiesn.  Sometimes I can hear everyone singing as if they were a mere couple of blocks away, other times I hear nothing at all.  NOTHING.  That's about 800 meters away as the crow flies.  It IS weird as hell but I don't think it has to do with human activity (aside from the human element of driving sbahns and singing by the thousands) 

eta: it's not like I can't hear it because there's other "noise" in the way.

Fuck you, Corona! ALL tavernas and cafés are closed even in our village for two weeks with immediate start. We couldn´t even get a cup of coffee today.  You know what? No one loves you.We will keep on truckin´ despite you.

1c54e4ea-fd68-4aaf-8d12-fd8d261a170f.JPG

4 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Ronaldo in Portugal. What a hero.

My green was for Ronaldo!  Suprising that we don’t hear about more generosity from the mega rich in this time of crisis.