Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,946 posts in this topic

And what about driving back to Germany? Via France seems to be an issue right now.

I hope Spider‘s mum pulls through till this crap is over and he can visit her as a loving son.

This current situation is so sad.

8 minutes ago, French bean said:

Has no one worked out that it might actually be better to queue along the side of the building and down the side street where there are no shops?

Hmm, do you expect Germans to queue like Brits who's hobby it is to queue 🤔?

1 minute ago, john g. said:

And what about driving back to Germany?

It's all here: 

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I'm afraid my experience of the UK just before I moved out here is of queues rapidly becoming a thing of the past. Just look at the dog eat dog mentality people show when buying some crappy TV during Black Friday. People here I actually think are far more polite and it's not the queuing that's a problem, it's the lack of thought on how to queue

4 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

In the old days, East Germans were quite good at it :D

17 minutes ago, bramble said:

[[..] he will obviously have to isolate himself for 2 weeks. 

Do you have a source for that?

1 hour ago, bramble said:

https://www.tagesschau.de/inland/corona-reisende-quarantaene-101.html

Reisen sollen in Zeiten der Corona-Pandemie unterlassen werden. Diejenigen, die es dennoch müssen, sollen künftig nach ihrer Ankunft in Deutschland für zwei Wochen isoliert werden. Ausgenommen bleiben Berufspendler.

Well, the word "sollen" has a different meaning than the word "muessen". 

It is a recommendation to the Laender to handle it that way, yes. For example NRW has done so, but this runs out today. See  https://www.land.nrw/sites/default/files/asset/document/2020-04-09_coronaeinreisevo_nrw_mit_begruendung.pdf

Paragraph 4 says:  "Diese Verordnung tritt am Tag nach der Verkündung in Kraft und mit Ablauf des 19. April 2020 außer Kraft"

So, there is no such thing as a definite duty for quarantine when you come back from abroad. 

However, YMMV depending on which Land you live in... Nothing is absolutely clear atm. Beware that even the Tagesschau (the link you quoted) bets around the bush and doesn't really give hard facts.

While I think it is not wise to go on a tour through Germany after coming back, I do not see a GENERAL rule for a mandatory quarantine for people coming back. 

Anybody who has more information on this issue, please post. 

3 hours ago, kiplette said:

and it looks like if you want to leave, then that's fine just so long as the place you are going to will let you in

2 hours ago, bramble said:

But there is also a tiny reference about leaving Germany:

2 hours ago, bramble said:

However, leaving the country is dependent on whether the destination country agrees to this entry.

The precise thing I picked out.

30 minutes ago, franklan said:

Well, the word "sollen" has a different meaning than the word "muessen". 

It is a recommendation to the Laender to handle it that way, yes. For example NRW has done so, but this runs out today. See  https://www.land.nrw/sites/default/files/asset/document/2020-04-09_coronaeinreisevo_nrw_mit_begruendung.pdf

Paragraph 4 says:  "Diese Verordnung tritt am Tag nach der Verkündung in Kraft und mit Ablauf des 19. April 2020 außer Kraft"

So, there is no such thing as a definite duty for quarantine when you come back from abroad. 

However, YMMV depending on which Land you live in... Nothing is absolutely clear atm. Beware that even the Tagesschau (the link you quoted) bets around the bush and doesn't really give hard facts.

While I think it is not wise to go on a tour through Germany after coming back, I do not see a GENERAL rule for a mandatory quarantine for people coming back. 

Anybody who has more information on this issue, please post. 

Well, it's been in the news regularly these past days:

Reiserückkehrer müssen in Quarantäne

I would be surprised if it was lifted anytime soon considerung that the danger is not yet over. 

14 minutes ago, bramble said:

The regulations can change back and forth anytime. So you would probably have to inquire at your Landesregierung near the time you intend to come back. 

Now that sounds a little bit different than your previous  "Reiserückkehrer müssen in Quarantäne"...

So, for example for NRW, it seems that that duty for quarantine was extended (from April 19) to May 3, and you have to report to your local Gesundheitsamt, Quarantine is within your home. 

20 minutes ago, franklan said:

Now that sounds a little bit different than your previous  "Reiserückkehrer müssen in Quarantäne"...

So, for example for NRW, it seems that that duty for quarantine was extended (from April 19) to May 3, and you have to report to your local Gesundheitsamt, Quarantine is within your home. 

Why are you being so narky? I have not been misleading in anything I have posted. I originally said,  "If SpiderPig is permitted to enter the UK and then wants to come back, he will obviously have to isolate himself for 2 weeks". I said that because those have been the rules the past few weeks and has been in the news almost daily. So far these rules are still valid, but they can change tomorrow for all I know. But I would be surprised if the quarantine rules for Reiserückkehrer changed anytime soon. 

9 hours ago, silty1 said:

I've been out on my bike along the Elbe where it's really popular to go cycling, jogging, walking, gets so ridiculously crowded after about 11am on Sundays and holidays we avoid it, but these days it's manageable, you just keep your distance, slow down, stop if necessary, take care of yourself and others and what's the big deal? 

Going shopping I've walked out of stores I don't feel comfortable in because they're not adhering to proper distancing, no big deal, just go another time, it's not as if the schedule is so jam-packed these days anyway.  

Exactly - temporal distancing to support social distancing.     Get your activities done when the number of visitors to a park or on a bike path is lower.     

German regions force citizens to wear masks following success of city trial

The German government is under pressure to make mask-wearing compulsory in public after the success of a city-wide trial.

Several German regions and cities sent a clear signal to Angela Merkel's government that they don't see its advice on face masks as adequate, with two states announcing individual measures to enforce face mask usage.

The eastern state of Saxony announced that everyone will have to wear a face mask as of Monday when entering shops or travelling on public transport. Wolfsburg, hometown of Volkswagen, and Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania soon followed suit, announcing mandatory masks  in public starting the following week.

Stephan Weil, state leader in Lower Saxony, said he was "convinced that everyday face masks will soon become part of our pubic life and that they could be made compulsory on public transport as soon as we have enough stocks.”...