Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,013 posts in this topic

the thing with the trains is even weirder because at the times when it's silent and still enough in the city to hear them all the way down here, they're running every half an hour, maybe even less frequently than that.  But the trains seems to be running on regular schedule so I'm listening to them pull in and pull away every other minute.  Y'all!  I'm telling you, it's like living next to the station, only I live a kilometer away!  Super surreal.  It is actually getting louder as time goes on.  Which means the streets are getting emptier and quieter on an actually perceptible level.  This is some twilight zone level shit.

re. family cloths - I got an FB post from a friend about using unmatched socks - now those we have a very healthy supply of...:lol:

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Just when I thought the whole world had gone crazy, I saw a note by the entrance to our house when I went out for my daily dozen. A couple wrote that if anyone in the house is high risk and needs some shopping or small errands done, just make a list with last name on it and drop it in their mailbox.

I blubbered a bit in the lift.

9 hours ago, AlexTr said:

@fraufruit As Alice from Vicar of Dibley would say, "Ah, lovely."

It is. :)

On nebenan.de, people are offering to help the elderly and people at risk. I really, really hope nobody takes advantage of the vulnerable.

Watch your hands for at least 30 seconds ... and then dry them up with that hand towel you haven't changed since November.

My country imposed 14 days mandatory quarantine for visitors arriving from some European countries.   On day one of the new regulation officials took a Spaniard visitor from the airport to his hotel, explained him the rules and left him there.  In the morning the guy went down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast and proceed to leave the hotel.  The guy was aprehended and sent back to Spain.   I think we are all doomed, the idiots in the planet are majority.

22 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Watch your hands for at least 30 seconds ... and then dry them up with that hand towel you haven't changed since November.

But no covid19.

I always change the towel when expecting visitors though no matter what. Every few days at least.

Man has 17,700 bottles of hand sanitizer that he can't sell.

On March 1, the day after the first coronavirus death in the United States, brothers Matt and Noah Colvin set out in a silver SUV to pick up some hand sanitizer. Driving around Chattanooga, Tennessee, they hit a Dollar Tree, then a Walmart, a Staples and a Home Depot. At each store, they cleaned out the shelves.

Over the next three days, Noah Colvin took a 1,300-mile road trip across Tennessee and into Kentucky, filling a U-Haul truck with thousands of bottles of hand sanitizer and thousands of packs of antibacterial wipes, mostly from “little hole-in-the-wall dollar stores in the backwoods,” his brother said. “The major metro areas were cleaned out.”

Matt Colvin stayed home near Chattanooga, preparing for pallets of even more wipes and sanitizer he had ordered, and starting to list them on Amazon. Colvin said he had posted 300 bottles of hand sanitizer and immediately sold them all for between $8 and $70 each, multiples higher than what he had bought them for. To him, “it was crazy money.” To many others, it was profiteering from a pandemic...

the rest

7 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

When we're put in quarantine, is it always in a hotel? Who pays the hotel bill?

Back home is either in a hotel or a private place.  You pay for the costs.  You are told about this before you travel, so no surprises.   Still, there are surprises.

Yesterday in the supermarket it was a circus, people definitely have weird priorities.  There was a lady with a whole trolley full of coca-cola.   

I'm kind of sad that my 2 big sporting events are canceled/postponed. March Madness and the Masters.

It is already getting hard to stay at home but we haven't killed each other yet.

Looking for silver linings here one of which is I hope that telecommuting will become more the norm in Germany for those who can/want to do it. It would cut down on traffic and ease the load on public transportation. Office space could be reconfigured and cut down as well saving companies a lot of money. The best thing would be that it cuts down on unnecessary business trips and flights. After this pandemic, maybe the mentality will change about meeting face to face. Feeling Greta-like.

Anyone else seeing any possible silver linings?

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

When we're put in quarantine, is it always in a hotel? Who pays the hotel bill?

I read about some tourists in Vietnam who were quarantined in a military hospital with bars on the windows.  They complained about it being dirty, lack of working toilets, lack of toilet paper and the food served being rice with soya sauce 3 times a day.  I don't suppose they had to pay for it though.  They might have been able to get better food if they'd offered to pay.

The Chinese are taking people to hotels to quarantine.  I don't know who pays but my friends there said they knew a family who lives there and managed to strike a deal about going home for quarantine instead of spending it in a hotel but they were under strict rules not to leave the house.

Randy Rainbow is the hero we need in this time of crisis! And he's delivering!

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Anyone else seeing any possible silver linings?

Well, after watching murphaph's video showing the truck going around the streets in some beach town informing everyone they must stay indoors, and reading kato's posts about localized decrees against gatherings of dozens of people, it led me a bit down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole.  One person I know has taken an incredibly causal attitude the whole thing, saying, "what do you think they're REALLY distracting us from?" and I'm like, uh... not this time, dude.  

But since nothing o'clock in the night last night I decided to adopt a cool conspiracy theory (since I don't have any pets) and decided the coolest conspiracy would be this is all a big action to slow down the effects of climate change.  The limit on travel will have a devastating economical effect, but on the upside (?) we're emitted a LOT less CO2.

Anyone else have any just-for-fun conspiracy theories?  (For the record, I don't actually believe mine, but it tickled to think about it.)

5 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Anyone else have any just-for-fun conspiracy theories?  (For the record, I don't actually believe mine, but it tickled to think about it.)

It was deliberately engineered to take care of developed countries' pension deficits and burst the housing bubble . 

10 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

to slow down the effects of climate change. 

Hold the horses: If the body temperature of several billion people increases by 3deg Celsius, then...

3 hours ago, LeonG said:

I read about some tourists in Vietnam who were quarantined in a military hospital with bars on the windows.  They complained about it being dirty, lack of working toilets, lack of toilet paper and the food served being rice with soya sauce 3 times a day.  I don't suppose they had to pay for it though.  They might have been able to get better food if they'd offered to pay.

The Chinese are taking people to hotels to quarantine.  I don't know who pays but my friends there said they knew a family who lives there and managed to strike a deal about going home for quarantine instead of spending it in a hotel but they were under strict rules not to leave the house.

There are also nice spots in the world were a quarantine is not that bad.

"100 people from Switzerland were quarantined on the Maledives"

https://www.20min.ch/schweiz/news/story/Fast-100-Schweizer-sitzen-auf-den-Malediven-fest-27737481