Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,634 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, arunadasi said:

easter.jpg

What about all those people along the road to Golgota?

Apparently Trump asked one of his top favorite crime investigators to find out who is responsible for the CV-19 virus

Capture.JPG.173e5807519a8da47172610a76dc

And I can say Scooby-Doo, never failed to get the person responsible in the 1970's

Well Scooby-Doo

If you have a „ bucket list , are you amending it right now?🙏🏻
Some travel plans I/we have eg visit an old friend in Argentina, visit New Zealand for the first time, even our return to Germany...all best laid plans of men and mice..

I wonder how long global travel will be off the cards or, at least, without massive restrictions in the future eg prove you have had a successful anti-corona jab in the future and with eg a waiting time.

Brave New World- jeez..

😟

14 minutes ago, john g. said:

Some travel plans I/we have eg visit an old friend in Argentina, visit New Zealand for the first time, even our return to Germany...all best laid plans of men and mice..

I wonder how long global travel will be off the cards or, at least, without massive restrictions in the future eg prove you have had a successful anti-corona jab in the future and with eg a waiting time.

Brave New World- jeez..

😟

Prior to the Covid19 outbreak, we had been planning a trip in our motorhome for August to either North Bavaria or back to Munich again. It has been suggested over here that the UK will have restrictions in place in one form or another until a vaccine is found, which could be a year or more, so I'm not sure what that now means in terms of our plans to travel.

The husband had a motorbike trip to Ypres planned for end April also and we've already pushed the Tunnel booking back to October, but who knows if we'll be able to travel then.

Either way, I can't wait to travel to Europe again.

The UK Health minister was on TV this morning, saying he thinks there could be a vaccine by September !

Maybe that's when flying will be ok again, but I am sure that there will be short periods in between when some people with a health certificate will be allowed to travel again but would you want to - I mean it is not better to stay safe in europe, I heard a lot of countries else where are not really reporting the true number of deaths in their country, because it could limit the number of tourists coming. ie asia

Could be a bad year for the hotels in Italy, Greece and spain

My partner Nicole is becoming a grandmother in Hamburg in July. Will she be able to get there?🙁

Just been reading Marina Hydes column in the Guardian (not great reader of the paper but her column is most often excellent) and she uses this line regarding 5G conspiracy theorist and Corona and their targeting of towers" Great job, guys! It’s the equivalent of destroying air-raid sirens during the blitz because you heard they turn you Nazi. "

This did make me wonder if we had the internet during WWII if there would have been conspiracy theories abounding as to what caused it etc and why.

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Brave New World- jeez..

😟

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Brave New World- jeez..

😟

Friend of mine came to visit Berlin from the UK in January - because there was a concert he particularly wanted to see. He's now over the moon that he was here - as he says "At least I've had a holiday this year." We had a trip out to (amongst other places) Groß Glienicke Lake, which was in the DDR border zone in the "old days". The reason we went is that we wanted to see "The House by the Lake"...the book of the same name by Thomas Harding is a fantastic read - 20th century German history told via the stories of the various occupants of the house down the years. We found the house, anyway!

Way things are looking, Groß Glienicke might be my annual holiday too! A couple more British friends and a Belgian friend were coming this year...now they're not :-(

Surviving lockdown OK - at my g/f's place and as we both have a sufficient degree of disability to warrant it, a "Pflegedienst" visits us twice a week and does fresh food shopping etc for us. Saves going out, as we're both not in the best of health and therefore highly "at risk". Boring being imprisoned, but she's got a huge balcony and a garden with loads of trees and it's been nice to see insects arriving and the first bats of the season fluttering around.

15 hours ago, john g. said:

I've already nixed two visits to the UK -- no big deal, no flights booked, but airbnbs and hotel, easily cancelled with refund.

I really need to drive to UK with a van to pick up some furniture. Don't know how, don't know when!

Publisher  party in June, London, cancelled, maybe rescheduled.

Two week retreat in June planned, in Ireland. Could still happen.

5 day bus trip with a German friend through south Ireland, in August. I really hope we can do this! Can be cancelled with refund up to 21 days in advance.

Plumbing work for my Eastbourne flat, cancelled. A fire door planned there  for May, partly paid for, obviously won't happen.

We had our big holiday in early January, India. It was fantastic, so no more long-haul flights planned for this year. Who knows when I can get back to India!

Otherwise I'm tremendously fortunate in that no big plans have had to be overturned. I'm really sorry for people with weddings and long-saved-for holidays ruined, jobs lost etc.

14 hours ago, john g. said:

My partner Nicole is becoming a grandmother in Hamburg in July. Will she be able to get there?🙁

So you're going to be a step-grand-dad! Congrats!

I am so grateful I had family over from the US for Christmas and New Year even though it was expensive and complicated.

And I am glad Mr Metall and I went to our friend's four day whiskey event in a formal 1930s setting at his house!

These memories (and lots of fun calls and walks in the sun) help a lot.

All of the events I was supposed to attend or support have been canceled, right up to July...

My major bucket list thing was to get out of the UK and live and work abroad, and I achieved that in 2020. I hadn't really expected or planned anything else for this year.

15 hours ago, john g. said:

I wonder how long global travel will be off the cards or, at least, without massive restrictions in the future eg prove you have had a successful anti-corona jab in the future and 😟

Much less global moving!  I feel like we dodged 1,000 bullets by getting residency in 2019 (now extended through 2023).  Everything else is a bonus.  😅