Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

3,841 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, bramble said:

When shopping at Aldi's this morning I saw a middle-aged woman wearing a face mask and gloves. Nothing so unusual at present, but she was also holding an opened UMBRELLA close to her head while searching the shelves. Flummoxed. Does she think the virus is going to rain down on her from the ceiling? 

She was seen by two other people I know and independent of each other at Penny's this morning with the same yellow umbrella. 

8 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I use one roll per week, but men don't use TP when they pee 🤗.

Himself does. So you just drip on the seat/floor? What do you do with that last drop that won't shake off? 

Asking for a friend.

11 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Himself does. So you just drip on the seat/floor? What do you do with that last drop that won't shake off? 

Boys, one shake is to dry it, three shakes is for pleasure.

I saw a notice at the local Tengelmann - a sweet sounding 19 year old girl offering her services for Kinderbetreuung for those mamas who have to work but have kids. I have five laptops which used to have Windows on them but I have put Linux on them and they are all ready to use if any locals need them at home. I can also now code any websites if needed by docs for info purposes.

For those facing a TP shortage:

5e6d0823d7bd4_fark_V31CXQNTkyCo3fFy3W8Jq

I don't know why there's always a typo in the last line of the stuff I post. I guess they include them intentionally to make grammar Nazis twitch.

43 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

OMG

5e6d09467b285_fark_YrON9eJPkpOevpf2jMu3u

5e6d094ea1d52_fark_fQF8mghND1IwTmAn8ZpNP

5e6d0955a58fd_fark_k1S3eFV9Dvm1jLA3TpOBb

5e6d097164e0d_fark_7Ra9LLamfnZitiZTBvIqT

Number 4 is too gross.

My personal solution!

( inspired by the band the Loving Spoonful)😂

IMG_3121 (002).jpg

The history of toilet paper

One of the most memorable scenes from 90s sitcom-about-nothing Seinfeld was when Elaine was caught "square-less" in a public toilet. It's a situation that, while hilarious onscreen, is so anxiety-inducing that it even has its own unofficial psychological term: "acartohygieiophobia".

But if Elaine were to take a poop 100 years earlier she would have more than likely  been asking if someone had some spare corn cobs, pebbles, grass, snow, fruit skins or even lace or hemp if she was wealthy. Or at worst, she would have simply resorted to using her hand.

You see, for something that seems so utterly essential to daily hygiene, toilet paper is a relatively recent invention.

Well, recent to Westerners anyway because records show that China was using toilet paper as early as 589 AD when scholar-official, Yan Zhitui, mentioned it in his work.

etc.

45 minutes ago, engelchen said:

Penny (same parent as Rewe) was better stocked than Rewe today. After reading @lisa13's tp posts, I ended up buying two 10 roll packages. Both Penny and Rewe were almost sold out of pasta.

oh no!  your descent to madness has also begun...

dessa was in on it too ;)

eta:  regarding Lieferando, I got an email from them today saying you can now request "contactless" delivery - they apparently just ring and leave the food outside the door.

note it's by request only - I gathered part of the ordering process

My local NP still hasn't stocked toilet paper and kitchen rolls are almost sold out.  Flour and sugar has been out for a while and now the pasta and canned food seem to be disappearing.

57 minutes ago, john g. said:

I was at a friend´s house in Harburg (Hamburg ) for a week till Thursday and all was calm. Just got off the phone and he´s panicking...REWE is close to empty of goods.

EDEKA in Pinneberg was full of people buying hamsters.

All Kassen in operation.  All shelves full.

45 minutes ago, engelchen said:

I ended up buying two 10 roll packages.

Ha! So unfair. No bog roll for love nor money round here. Still, as I said, we have many crappy napkins, so all is not lost...

Just now, LeonG said:

My local NP still hasn't stocked toilet paper and kitchen rolls are almost sold out.  Flour and sugar has been out for a while and now the pasta and canned food seem to be disappearing.

I am a bit elderly...this is just what happened in my youth..and I entered Chile February 1974  and Pinochet had just got into power brutally...with the support of many...housewives banging on pots etc.  " we have no butter"..bla bla.

Troubling times....

John Travolta the latest celeb to catch coronavirus. He had chills they were multiplying, he was losing control...

but doctors have confirmed it was only Saturday Night Fever, and assured everyone he is Staying Alive......

I'll get my coat

You might want to ask your shops what time they re-stock. Ours seem to re-stock daily judging by the people I see schlepping multiple packs.

8 minutes ago, HEM said:

EDEKA in Pinneberg was full of people buying hamsters.

All Kassen in operation.  All shelves full.

My sister accidentally drowned the only pet I had as a child...a hamster. It lasted one night..she tried to flush it down the toilet to wash it..

:(