Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,387 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I don't understand the part about privacy. What privacy have you given up? I feel like I've never been so private.

None if it is totally anonymous as they say and it stays that way.

However how often in the past have govts or app developers talking about something being totally anonymous and it turns out not to be.

This is the problem,people don`t trust authority in this sort of thing because of past history and now you need them to trust they won`t.

14 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

2m distancing for a month?

Really...   All my familly are in the UK and 95% my FB friends are in the UK and they have only just been forced to do the 2m thing... Less than 7 days ago!

Yep, it was only introduced on 27th March...

25 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I don't understand the part about privacy. What privacy have you given up? I feel like I've never been so private.

I think this started as a conversation if something like what China is doing is worth or not.  It is not private, they made an app and you have to sign into the app and carry your phone around, mandatory in the affected areas.  So, when you are found covid-positive they can trace down where you were and contact the people you could potentially have infected and put them in preventive quarantine and run tests.

From the privacy point of view is pretty invasive, but it seems humans are idiots by nature, if you think people are not taking it seriously here because going for a jog is really a priority, imagine how it is and how it will be in less "developed" countries.

Well these are extraordinary times and that system seems to have worked well in China. Did they also do that in South Korea and Taiwan?

Here's another down side I've been thinking about - What will it be like trying to get regular doctor appointments for yearly tests, screenings, etc. when this is all over. Dentist appointments? They will all be so far behind that it will take a long time for them to catch up. Will it be like trying to get appointments on the NHS?

1 minute ago, Krieg said:

I think this started as a conversation if something like what China is doing is worth or not.  It is not private, they made an app and you have to sign into the app and carry your phone around, mandatory in the affected areas.  So, when you are found covid-positive they can trace down where you were and contact the people you could potentially have infected and put them in preventive quarantine and run tests.

Of course Google/Apple/Your mobile phone provider have all this already, so it's debatable whether the government being able to track you is much of a change.

On the general point, it seems to me that anyone who advocates civil liberties (which I would) understands there are limits, and those limits are when you encroach on somebody else's civil liberties. You should be able to do what you want as much as possible, but if you're carrying a disease you don't have the right to walk around infecting other people. If technology gives us a way of having some semblance of normality whilst still fighting the disease, then that's overwhelmingly good.

South Korea did it by tracing back where the people were using cell towers, not as effective.

Singapore created a giant detective team who trace back people using whatever they have, cell tower data, security cameras, etc.

1 minute ago, Dembo said:

Of course Google/Apple/Your mobile phone provider have all this already, so it's debatable whether the government being able to track you is much of a change.

On the general point, it seems to me that anyone who advocates civil liberties (which I would) understands there are limits, and those limits are when you encroach on somebody else's civil liberties. You should be able to do what you want as much as possible, but if you're carrying a disease you don't have the right to walk around infecting other people. If technology gives us a way of having some semblance of normality whilst still fighting the disease, then that's overwhelmingly good.

But in Germany plenty of people disable location services so Google do not know where they went.  And then they complain because the traffic information from Google is not accurate.

Thought this might be useful...

There is no specific medicine to prevent or treat coronavirus disease (COVID-19). People may need supportive care to help them breathe.

Self care
If you have mild symptoms, stay at home until you’ve recovered. You can relieve your symptoms if you:
rest and sleep
keep warm
drink plenty of liquids
use a room humidifier or take a hot shower to help ease a sore throat and cough

Medical treatments
If you develop a fever, cough, and have difficulty breathing, promptly seek medical care. Call in advance and tell your health provider of any recent travel or recent contact with travellers.

Himself said that people over 75 who are sick in the UK aren't being admitted to hospitals. They are just left at home. Is this true? He saw it on TV which doesn't make it so.

27 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Well these are extraordinary times and that system seems to have worked well in China.

As far as we know but the general consensus seems to be that China isn`t being exactly honest and open about how the disease started,where it started,how many caught it etc etc.

Also it is an awful lot easier to enforce a lockdown and track people in an authoritarian country like China than it is in an open and free democratic one.

29 minutes ago, Dembo said:

If technology gives us a way of having some semblance of normality whilst still fighting the disease, then that's overwhelmingly good.

Thing is this app from what I`ve seen does not give anyone a sense of normality.It`s very useful to track the spread in that you know who was where and who they`ve been in contact with but that seems to be about it.

Agree or disagree

I haven’t spent the past two weeks in my flat wanking myself into a coma every night for you pricks to go out and have a picnic. Stay at HOME you selfish dickheads. #PrimroseHill #StayHomeSaveLives

-or- 

are you a Lord Sugar fan

I can't for the life of me understand what

is on about in respect to sunbathing.If you are 10 ft away from the next person in the open what's wrong with that. In Essex we have big fields if you are in the middle of one chilling out in the sun whats wrong with that ?

*****clarification*******

ery sorry that you interpret my tweet that way . I was just trying to say it seemed like common sense to me. Obviously it not been taken in that vain . I guess people see things in different ways.

But haven't they been gathering that info for years from cell phones to see where people shop and, in some cases, which part of the stores they frequent the most? I know I read about that some years ago. It was for commercial use. We may have discussed in on TT.

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

:D

I should damn well think it would take an abundance of caution to slide a swab high up into a tiger's nostril!
@Fraufruit, I see your :D , and raise you :o !

52 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Himself said that people over 75 who are sick in the UK aren't being admitted to hospitals. They are just left at home. Is this true? He saw it on TV which doesn't make it so.

He's right.

No doubt there may be exceptions, but for most folk, yes.

The quiet lone walks over fileds and through woods near my village are slowly being 'invaded' by, at the moment, small family groups where we have to pass like in the supermarket on the narrow paths to get past one another. Also speed freakin' mountainbikers are barreling down the woods paths not really aware that people also walk those paths, and how narrow they are. Hmm. Glad others are realzing it's a wonderful thing to get out in nature but I do already miss seeing next to no one, ever, when I go out. Maybe they will give it up, like the new year's resolution, when the biting flies and mosquitoes kick in. :) 

On 4/3/2020, 5:33:24, Keleth said:

Going back to my rant from a couple of pages ago this is a couple of posts in the Tesla thread...

We`re in the middle of a crisis not seen for a hundred years and people are already thinking about how to make money (And we`re not talking about money needed to survive)after it`s over,and even discussing whether they should buy when there`s been enough deaths or when testing etc comes in.

FFS people and @fraufruit it looks like I may have been right. ;)

I'm thinking it'd be great if real estate became affordable after all this is over.