Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,387 posts in this topic

Ok... As the CV thing trundles on, some shops are runnout of of essential stuff... 

So... my thoughts are lets get together and share info...  

Simply post what you are looking for and a relatively close admission as to where you live..

Other TTers could simply say where they have seen the product and time of day its usually delivered if known.

Should someone be absolutely desperate for a something thats not at all available, then maybe a Postal service could be arranged ... 

This would require trust is address are to be swopped and money sent... 

I will start...     Bog roll...  full shelf...  Rewe in Delkenheim, Wiesbaden..

8 hours ago, RedMidge said:

And now Trump is blocking an order for masks  from 3M- destined for Canada.

3M is pushing back against the directive.

If Trump wants help- then it works both ways.

Best part is that a friend who lives in Canada, has said that Canada had the only factory that produces some of the thread/fiber for the gowns and masks that 3M make - he failed to think about that!

My fence was blown away a few weeks ago, by the wind, so I need to extend my plants to cover it, instead of placing ugly plastic.

Sounds quite futile, but it is the thing I can't find now.

Prunus Lusitanica (Portugiesich Kirchlorbeer), at least 125cm tall. I've looked at 30 online webpages and either they are super expensive, out of stock or require a minimum order of 10, and I only need 4.

Munich area.

No, I'm not buying because it says "portuguese", just because it makes a really nice edge.

On 3/31/2020, 11:49:15, yesterday said:

Do people really want to wear masks to get around  facial recognition ?, even if they did, then the government would ban them if it hides  your identity.

No need for it. VCSEL technology like the one used on FaceID can still detect you, even with a mask, sunglasses or a thick beard, if they want to.

Sunglasses allow infrared to pass. Masks don't, but the rest of the face might be enough for a decent match.

It also works in perfect dark conditions.

Worst case, they could even map your body and your movements, so unless you wear oversized cloths and develop a funny walk, you can always be identified.

On the downside, it is easy to create a device to discover these detectors, so in theory someone could avoid them by knowing where they are. This is because VCSEL are active sensors (one VCSEL emitter and an IR camera).

This is all already possible at short distances, like a few centimeters. It is of course possible to build more powerful VCSELs to work several meters away, but then divergence/convergence of each individual VCSEL could partially blind someone, if they stand in the wrong spot.

9 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Simply post what you are looking for and a relatively close admission as to where you live..

Sweet mustard / Larnaca

12 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Ok... As the CV thing trundles on, some shops are runnout of of essential stuff... 

Nice idea, Piggy!

Maybe we could extend the idea, and if anybody has to go into quarantine because they actually are ill, we could send them some basic food supplies, toiletries, etc that they can`t go out and buy for themselves?

Edeka in Starnberg has loads of toilet rolls in stock.

Jeba - are you talking about German sweet mustard?

I must appear obsessed with masks, but here are two articles on the subject.

One by the Guardian, on their usefulness: 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/04/why-wear-a-mask-may-be-our-best-weapon-to-stop-coronavirus?CMP=fb_gu&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR34KDTLK7R79F4nYB0W82R4hMdRLwLwIDuFVZ_DT8Q2WOQgA_zU43PP6zA#Echobox=1585992709

And one by the Daily Mail (sorry) with the simplest no-sew  face-mask instructions ever, by the US surgeon general:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8187779/Surgeon-General-makes-face-mask-T-shirt-rubber-bands.html

Surgeon General Jerome Adams has instructed Americans on how to make their own 'cloth face covering' by using an old T-shirt and rubber bands

Here you Go Mr Melga...  

https://www.garmundo.de/portugiesischer-kirschlorbeer-tico.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwg6b0BRBMEiwANd1_SMOExnRXDBePRr7IJydWGIen8MjWQT3SqjBSX_YbI1BCjGjgSqw0BxoC0bUQAvD_BwE

having spoken to a neighbour about this ( I wanted to get a cutting to send you) he said that once the hedge has exceeded ~1m, the roots dont like being disturbed...  so get the biggest thats on offer, they grow rather fast...

Here is a graph of the hedge growth rate after 2 years...  

Hedge Silhouette Stock Photos - Download 296 Royalty Free Photos

Jeba... PM me your name and full address... maybe the lack od SußßSenf is causing your bullshittery...  :ph34r:

Or better still.. go to dhl.de... fill out "Online frankierung"... then download the versandmark and email it to me...  I will then ensure you are not Mustard free for the summer!

A case of, "Do as I say, not as I do." 

Coronavirus: Calderwood under fire over second home visit  

Scotland's chief medical officer has been photographed at her second home in Fife, despite lockdown guidelines permitting only "essential travel".

Dr Catherine Calderwood, who lives in Edinburgh with her family, is facing criticism after the pictures were published in The Scottish Sun. She has joined Nicola Sturgeon in leading calls for the public to stay at home to defeat the virus.

The Scottish government said Dr Calderwood observed social distancing.

A spokesman said she had been working seven days a week preparing Scotland's response to the Covid-19 crisis and she decided to check on the family home in Fife as she would not be back until after the lockdown.

"She stayed overnight before returning to Edinburgh. In line with guidance she stayed within her own household group and observed appropriate social distancing with anyone she was in passing in the village."

To be honest, them Jocks have got form!  I'd be checking on my property, too!   

Anyways, I wonder if it was a concerned citizen or a bored journalist who took the photos. 

Meanwhile in Germany. 

Germans snitch on neighbours flouting virus rules, in echo of the Stasi past  (Reuters)

Law-abiding Germans are zealously helping police crack down on people flouting new social distancing rules aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus by reporting on strangers, neighbours and friends.

The Mitteldeutsche Zeitung reported that authorities in Magdeburg had asked citizens not to overburden the police, quoting an official as saying “people shouldn’t make a report every time they see three people sitting on a park bench.”

While many citizens are acting responsibly, some experts say jealously, [sic] frustration or bearing a grudge can play a role.

Anyone here grassed anyone up? 

This is pretty horrific -

A discussion between two top French doctors on live TV left viewers horrified when they proposed that Africa should become a giant laboratory for coronavirus vaccine testing because the continent lacked the resources to defend against COVID-19.

In the segment broadcast on the French TV channel LCI, Jean-Paul Mira and Camille Locht raised the idea of testing new vaccines on impoverished African populations.

the rest

15 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Prunus Lusitanica (Portugiesich Kirchlorbeer), at least 125cm tall. I've looked at 30 online webpages and either they are super expensive, out of stock or require a minimum order of 10, and I only need 4.

Munich area.

No, I'm not buying because it says "portuguese", just because it makes a really nice edge.

How much should they cost? I was at the Metro Freimann the other day and I think I saw some. Might not be tall enough.

You're in the area - if they look right to you, I can go and buy them, have a card.

(They also may have been in front of the V-Markt nearby, across from KFC.)

If he gets the 20-40 cm ones that I suggest, then they will double their growth in one year...   More than his Tesla share are doing right now!!   :lol::lol:

I have not gone shopping in two weeks.  I will need to soon.  As a senior, I worry about others lack of social distancing.  What I find very strange is the lack or seeming lack of any type of disinfectant spray for the air.  Has anyone heard of Lysol Spray?  In the US it is commonly used to kill cold viruses and other household germs.  You spray it in the air, and it then kills germs on touchable surfaces.  Has always been a standard household item, along with disinfectant cleaners.  I see nothing of that sort here, other than Dan Klorix which is Bleach.  That is good for bathrooms and sometimes in the kitchen, but you certainly cannot use it on your sofa, or household furniture! https://www.lysol.com/products/disinfectant-spray/lysol-disinfectant-spray-crisp-linen/

Himself bought disinfectant spray at VMarkt the other day. We were running low on the Sacrotan spray. They had a lot. Surely somewhere else has it. There are a few on amazon.de. 

Wear a mask and gloves and be prepared to shout a people to stay the fuck away.

We were out walking today and joggers are the worst. They came up behind and passed about a foot away huffing and puffing as they go. There was plenty of space for them to go around. We don't have eyes in the backs of our heads. Yet.

ETA- Where do you live, kenny?

1 hour ago, Metall said:

How much should they cost? I was at the Metro Freimann the other day and I think I saw some. Might not be tall enough.

You're in the area - if they look right to you, I can go and buy them, have a card.

(They also may have been in front of the V-Markt nearby, across from KFC.)

Hi Metall. If I can get over 120cm, I'm willing to pay up to 45-50€. I can find prices online as low as 30€, but with shipping and minimum orders of 10, it gets quite expensive, as I only need 4.

I also made an order in an online shop, but 30min later they called me saying they had no stock, so they refunded me.

If you can get me those, I have a very nice green wine bottle here for you :) Not one of those cheap ones from Lild.

I could follow SP suggestion and stick with 1 meter, but that would mean zero privacy for this year, while 120cm already provides some coverage when we are sitting outside, considering they grow some 30cm till the summer.

On 02/04/2020, 06:11:53, Keleth said:

Was in Rewe yesterday (well stocked on flour,TP etc) and there were a man and wife there with masks and gloves on so obviously taking sensible precautions.However they had 2 kids with them and these 2 kids were running around the shop picking everything up,bumping into people etc and the parents basically didn`t even try to control them.

A woman decides to say something to the parents and she got the usual "Don`t tell me what to do with my kids" response from the mother.

Anyway when I was putting my stuff in the car the dad and the 2 kids came out with a security guard while the mum was presumably left alone to shop.

If you can`t or won`t control your kids in times like this then don`t take them shopping with you ffs.

It`s also unbelievable when you queue for the kasse there are the 2m (1.5m in some)markers on the floor how many times someone will step in front of someone else because there`s a big gap.

In the UK we've had the 2m queuing for supermarkets for about a month. Only 1 adult allowed and they encourage you to leave the kids at home.. the queues are going out the door and round the car park of the supermarkets. Our local one has also closed all the counters (my son works on the bakery at the weekends and now spends his time bagging the bread instead of serving customers) and they are only opening every other till and the ones that are open now have big perspex screens to protect the staff.
Unless you are classed as high risk then it's near impossible to order your food online because the supermarkets are so overloaded. Now the local fruit and veg stalls and trade suppliers are offering home delivery because of the demand.