Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,391 posts in this topic

- not too sure about that, Piggy - certainly in my area, people seem to think that the signs are for "other people" and everybody else, but them!!!

Yup, both I think - DM has signs in English and German, presumably to catch a slightly wider market as Piggy points out, although Arabic would probably have been a better choice. The supermarkets all have a security guard which you would think would solve the problem.

In both cases, there are people ignoring, abandoning their trolley just inside the door or randomly in an aisle - the 'everybody else' problem. 

On 4/3/2020, 10:57:16, silty1 said:

He's nothing without the deluded millions who from the very beginning ignored all the warning signs about his total lack of suitability for leadership of so much as a piss-up at a brewery and who believe every word the garbage he's been spewing forth for his entire shit-show of a life. 

Fify.

11 hours ago, katheliz said:

Not to mention that God will send us straight to Hell if we don't attend services in our Megachurch with 2000 other people.

...or Florida.

17 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Oh, those looks very neat and nice! Mine are very clumsy in comparison. Maybe I should buy a sewing machine. Hmmmm... but where and how? Amazon probably won't deliver such inessential things, not to Ireland anyway.

I only was able to find Amazon UK (so hopefully would deliver to Northern Ireland), they didn't state any limitations:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sewing+machine

I couldn't find Amazon specifically for the Republic of Ireland, how does that work?

Ireland does not have its own Amazon. We have to order through Amazon co.uk. But I have my stuff delivered free to my daughter in NI, as I have Prime, and pick it up there. I was half joking about buying a sewing machine. But right now I'm stuck. I tried to order a thermometer -- I don't have one! -- just in case, and the pharmacy I went to here doesn't have one. Delivery to Ireland is twice the cost.

So, normally, I would have the machine delivered to my daughter and pick it up. Not possible now.

OK - after all those rants of mine, here's one (hopefully) useful advice:

You certainly still got your old first-aid-kits from your cars which you are supposed to replace every few years due to TÜV?

Well - the Dreiecktuch is perfect for making cheese or use it as a face-mask, cowperson-style.

And all the once-sterile-now-not-or-whatever cotton-thingies - hello?!? Use them now!

I'm really perplexed that I've never ever encountered that basic idea before.

That's what Paps and kid#2 did at the airport on their way home. When they got on the plane they apologised for looking like a pair of idiots and the air hostess got them proper ones. They had plenty, rather surprisingly.

US accused of 'modern piracy' after diversion of masks meant for Europe

The US has been accused of “modern piracy” after reportedly diverting a shipment of masks intended for the German police, and outbidding other countries in the increasingly fraught global market for coronavirus protective equipment.

About 200,000 N95 masks were diverted to the US as they were being transferred between planes in Thailand, according to the Berlin authorities who said they had ordered the masks for the police force.

Andreas Geisel, the interior minister for Berlin state, described the diversion as “an act of modern piracy” and appealed to the German government to demand Washington conform to international trading rules. “This is no way to treat trans-Atlantic partners,” Geisel said. “Even in times of global crisis there should be no wild west methods.”

3 hours ago, robinson100 said:

certainly in my area, people seem to think that the signs are for "other people" and everybody else, but them!!!

But thats always been the case - especially on the roads (STOP signs, red traffic lights, speed limits...)

And now Trump is blocking an order for masks  from 3M- destined for Canada.

3M is pushing back against the directive.

If Trump wants help- then it works both ways.

20 hours ago, bramble said:

I've got a sewing machine and made a couple of double-layered masks out of old pillow cases. My daughter-in-law wants some too, so I'll be sewing a couple for her over the weekend. I've also made a smaller one for my 3-year-old granddaughter. I'll put them in an envelope and pop it in their letterbox. I wore one at Aldi this morning. I saw a couple more people there wearing masks. I'll only be wearing one when I go shopping, though. 

100_4498.JPG

Brilliant! I am making some out of serviettes- never use them these days, as I use paper napkins. So, dragged out my sewing machine too.  But, hand stitching will work too if no machine. I already used vinyl gloves for shopping, and a scarf. But this is better.

The term "gone viral", up to now basically regarded as positive in a millennially-cool way, was actually eerily prophetic...

20 hours ago, Keleth said:

Seen many strange conspiracy theories on the internet about the virus and one of them is how it is caused by 5G.But this one really goes whacko...

EUrkvQ-UwAERxOH.jpeg

This is why we have to control what false information gets spread around on the internet. Some dumbass acted on this fucking stupidity.

Birmingham and Merseyside masts torched over 5G coronavirus claims

Mobile phone masts have been torched and engineers abused over "baseless" theories linking coronavirus to 5G.

UK mobile network providers have warned against the spread of the theories after videos showing masts on fire were posted on social media.

Masts were set alight in Sparkhill, Birmingham, on Thursday and Melling, Merseyside, on Friday.

Trade body Mobile UK, which represents network providers, said the false rumours and theories were "concerning".

In a statement on Twitter, the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport said it was "aware of inaccurate information being shared online about 5G".

"There is absolutely no credible evidence of a link between 5G and coronavirus," it added.