Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,875 posts in this topic

To be frank, not only Trump. Or any other politician, whether obnoxious or not. I am sure many caring doctors and other non-politicians would consider a non-wipe out of the world population a success. 
This is brand new territory for all of us.

1 hour ago, bramble said:

I've got a sewing machine and made a couple of double-layered masks out of old pillow cases. My daughter-in-law wants some too, so I'll be sewing a couple for her over the weekend. I've also made a smaller one for my 3-year-old granddaughter. I'll put them in an envelope and pop it in their letterbox. I wore one at Aldi this morning. I saw a couple more people there wearing masks. I'll only be wearing one when I go shopping, though. 

Some entrepreneurial person in Ireland/Germany/UK/USA/Oz etc etc should start making these at home -- after all, everyone seems at a loose end -- and sell them over the internet. I'd definitely buy a couple, since I really have two left hands when it comes to crafts. I suggested it to my daughter, who really is good at crafts AND has a sewing machine (I think) but she didn't bite.

25 minutes ago, john g. said:

Back to Latin America😂

Peru follows Panama by making gender rules for being allowed out onto the streets. Women only and men only days..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-52149742

No protests from the LGTPQGTE community?

What about the d's?

They should also introduce that in a gender concious country like the US. That would be fun!

It is strange what people talk about! We sat around with some Brits of my generation this afternoon behind a camper van at the beach. Ok, we “ did “ corona and didn’t hug or shake hands and stuff but we DID talk about Bill and Ben, the Flower Pot Men!

Flummoxed? You’re either not a Brit or wonderfully young!

😂

By the way, a Greek neighbour warned me today he’d heard that from 6 am today only ONE person is allowed in a car.

Couldn’t get confirmation from others today, though.

8 minutes ago, john g. said:

By the way, a Greek neighbour warned me today he’d heard that from 6 am today only ONE person is allowed in a car.

Couldn’t get confirmation from others today, though.

Is the virus strange where you are ?   Seems a bit hard limit one person to a car

What if 2 adults and 2 kids live a house, but cannot go in a car together = what logic is that

21 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

No protests from the LGTPQGTE community?

The what??

Well, we all know about it and the Greeks are taking it seriously- the tourist season was about to begin.

We are all filling in the Emergency Movement Form and you are supposed to send an SMS to the authorities with exact times of your movements and the reasons.

On the other hand, no one is at the beach except a couple of campers who cannot leave the island or go to an authorised camp site. Camp sites are all closed!😟

I may know more tomorrow if it is true about one person in a car only and what the exceptions are.

I need doc treatment twice a week in town and need my partner Nicole to drive me there.

I am pretty sure there are exceptions.

At the moment- two in a car is the rule. Or was...

Imagine a deadly virus that you could control by simply washing your hands and staying indoors.
Selfish twats, "Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no.  Me and my kids are entitled to a social life though".

from Hoops

Not to mention that God will send us straight to Hell if we don't attend services in our Megachurch with 2000 other people.

11 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Some entrepreneurial person in Ireland/Germany/UK/USA/Oz etc etc should start making these at home -- after all, everyone seems at a loose end -- and sell them over the internet. I'd definitely buy a couple, since I really have two left hands when it comes to crafts. I suggested it to my daughter, who really is good at crafts AND has a sewing machine (I think) but she didn't bite.

- then do it yourself!

https://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2513390.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsewing+machine.TRS0&_nkw=sewing+machine&_sacat=0

24 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

I've already said many times here that a) I don't have a sewing machine and b ) I am no good at crafts.

I not only have two left hands when it comes to "bastelling", I also have a disabled and unusable forefinger on my left hand which has always been a handicap with any kind of fine-motor work, including piano, guitar and flute playing, typewriting, cutting vegetables, sewing etc.
I'm happy to make a primitive one for myself but I wouldn't DARE try anything for others!

15 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

It's not worth buying a sewing machine just to make a couple of face masks. Besides arunadasi mentions that she has two left hands. You need practice. My mother taught me how to use a sewing machine and in school we had lessons on one of those antique sewing machines.  I have seen that handmade face masks are being sold over the Internet in Germany. Don't know about Ireland. 

47 minutes ago, bramble said:

Don't know about Ireland. 

I just found some groups on Facebook making cotton masks in Ireland. They are charities and I am happy to support them.

I'm thinking of buying a good supply and putting them through the letter boxes of all the houses in my compound.

(Edited to add: or maybe first letters asking who would like one!)
I think we have to spread the word to get this going.

47 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I just found some groups on Facebook making cotton masks in Ireland. They are charities and I am happy to support them.

I'm thinking of buying a good supply and putting them through the letter boxes of all the houses in my compound.

(Edited to add: or maybe first letters asking who would like one!)
I think we have to spread the word to get this going.

That sounds like a good idea. I felt a bit strange wearing mine yesterday when shopping, but when I noticed a few others wearing them in the Supermarket it didn't feel so odd anymore. They don't protect oneself against the virus, but wearing them protects others a little from one's own coughs and sneezes. Out and about walking and practising social distance there's no need, but in the shops and other closed areas it seems sensible. 

6 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

It's something that could be done in Germany and other countries too, as a grass roots self-help movement. It might be little but it's something.

In Germany it is already.

Our local DM allow 20 customers in the shop at a time with a shopping trolley so they can keep the distance between the customers.

They blocked the entrance and there is a massive sign saying "one customer comes out, one customer goes in- Maximum 20 customers and entry only with a shopping trolley"

I was there a few days ago shopping, and every 5 minutes I heard the poor cashier shouting at people because they entered the shop without a trolley. What is wrong with people? We have these rules at the moment and it is written clear enough before you enter the shop!

The problem with putting uup signs is that many folks in Multiculti areas, although they can speak German, they often dont or cant read eropean script!

And I think thats the reason why some areas use security gaurds and not notices...