Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,875 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Related:

Missed that one...

What happens when a train engineer falls for the Qanon bullshit

A Los Angeles train engineer was arrested Wednesday for allegedly derailing a locomotive at high speed near the Navy hospital ship USNS Mercy — believing a conspiracy theory that the government is covering up the vessel’s true purpose, federal authorities said.

When confronted, Moreno allegedly told Los Angeles Port Police that he thought the Mercy was being used for something other than helping hospitals with the overflow of overflow of patients from hospitals dealing with coronavirus.

“You only get this chance once. The whole world is watching,” Moreno said, according to an arrest affidavit. “I had to. People don’t know what’s going on here. Now they will.”

He also allegedly told the FBI that he did it to “wake people up”

He said he “thought that the ship was suspicious and did not believe it was “what they say it’s for,” according to the feds.

My girlfriend got a message from HR today (she works at a German company in Munich) that says any already-planned vacation must be taken / cannot be rescheduled unless the company needs you to and 75% of vacation must be taken by the end of q3. Sounds more like she's working for an American company now. 

I told her that this sounds like a good reason to start a Betriebsrat. 

Thoughts on legality, etc.? 

1 minute ago, CincyInDE said:

My girlfriend got a message from HR today (she works at a German company in Munich) that says any already-planned vacation must be taken / cannot be rescheduled unless the company needs you to and 75% of vacation must be taken by the end of q3. Sounds more like she's working for an American company now. 

Not been able to cancel planned holidays is all OK.   Cancellations must be agreed by both parties.  

The bit with the 75% holidays taken by end of Q3 is just a wish, but I guess these are not the best times to fight the people trying to save your company.

10 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

I got the message from my employer a few days ago that confirmed that all vacation that has been approved must be taken. The only way to cancel approved vacation is if your boss confirms that you are required for a key position (and then only if you agree). Furthermore, we have been given until May 31, 2020 to take all left over vacation from 2019.

This has gone through our worker's council (and they don't take any flak from anyone) and it is completely legal.

The 75% by the end of q3 is new to me.

17 minutes ago, Krieg said:

but I guess these are not the best times to fight the people trying to save your company.

I don't have any info regarding the company's finances, but TBH they practically print money and should have some sort of reserve.  But like I said, I certainly don't know the details. 

13 minutes ago, engelchen said:

The 75% by the end of q3 is new to me.

Thanks, I'll mention that to her.

9 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

Thanks, I'll mention that to her.

It sounds to me like they're trying to get as many people to take their vacation days as possible during the "quiet time" right now, because they're expecting demand to rebound by the 4th quarter, with an associated ban on leave then.

I doubt it will be enforceable in court, because there's nothing supporting it in the Bundesurlaubsgesetz, but adherence would be a sign of employee solidarity. In addition, particularly if there's no works council at her company, she won't be doing herself any favors by not complying.

It mostly sucks because we have 4 weeks of vacation planned within the next 3 months, and both trips as planned are undoable: one week in England around Easter and three weeks in Canada and the end of May / beginning of June.  Canada's closed until June 30th; the moose out front should'a told ya.  We hope to be able to drive somewhere within Europe for that three-week timeframe, but we're obviously in the dark at this point. 

She thinks they'll relax on the 75% rule because that would mean no one will be in the office in August and September. Well, it'll be empty except for her, lol. 

Spreading bullshit theories, you say?

Someone sent me this today. I watched a couple of minutes. It is basically a bunch of people trying to prove the coronavirus is a hoax that is being over-hyped by mainstream media. The hospitals in NYC are basically empty and there are no dead bodies being loaded into refrigerated trucks. It's all a hoax.

8 minutes ago, CincyInDE said:

Who knew that was a specific offense that's on the books?

Come on, it's Florida.

He's lucky he didn't try to stampede cattle through town on a Sunday or he'd get the death penalty.

This whole Corona business should be the opportunity to change people and the world for the better,but it won`t.

Will people once this is hopefully all over realise that there has to be a better way to run the world than the way it is currently run.

Every decision even in these times is politically or monetarily motivated,people and how they will fare are considered on the periphery not as the main point as they should be.

Every govts 1st reaction to this was "oh no what`s going to happen to the stock markets" and not "how do we protect and help our people".

Some govts seemingly even delayed responding to it because they either wanted to protect their power or they didn`t want to upset the stock markets,sadly some of those govts are still going down the "we`ve got it under control" line even when it`s patently obvious they haven`t and are actually flailing about like a fish out of water.

When we wake up the day after this is over we`ll still be the same people,still wanting the same things,still willing to work to get those things but we`ll probably be in the first day of a depression because the stock market and those companies making up the stock market and their shareholders lost a shedload of money and they will want to cut costs (people) to try and get it back.

Many people will also forget how it was the ordinary people that kept the world going during this crisis and will be happy to see these people relegated to unemployed or wage cuts so that those usual old businesses can go back to making their profits.

Then this year or sometime in the future there will be elections and even though this crisis may make people decide to change who they vote for we`ll still vote for the same sort of people,those ones who worry about business first,people second no matter if they claim to be left or right or centrist or what the fuck ever.Maybe these politicians will decide to set up some sort of international crisis team to cope with a pandemic when it happens again.Then a few years down the line new politicians or maybe even those same politicians will think "nah too expensive,let`s save some money there to fund tax cuts to help out businesses" and scrap it.

Countries will go back to having the same enemies as before even though their enemies suffered in this time as well.In certain cases this hatred may intensify because countries will try to blame other countries to cover their own ineptitude or once again to protect their power.Religions will still preach distrust of anyone or any religion that doesn't follow the same code as they do even though people from every religion suffered the same in this crisis.Maybe this could be a wake up call for religions and they realise that either god hates them all equally or that there is in fact no god.

Some people will still be racist,homophobic,transphobic and whatever other phobics there are despite this crisis proving once and for all that underneath the outer skin colour or sexuality or whatever be you black,brown,white,yellow,gay,straight,man or woman that we`re all the fucking same.

We`ll still treat the planet like shit and that it is our divine right to take whatever and how much of whatever we want from it rather than realising it is our only planet and we should at least treat it with a modicum of respect to preserve it for future generations.

1 minute ago, silty1 said:

tl;dr 

We're all fucked. 

Nah not fucked,just different day same shit type of thing.

I gave you a greenie because it was a well thought out/written post. I, however, am a tiny bit more optimistic.

10 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I gave you a greenie because it was a well thought out/written post. I, however, am a tiny bit more optimistic.

Oh you sweet little innocent wide eyed child you.