Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,875 posts in this topic

I'll be happy to split a sack of nice pizza flour (aka strong/high protein/bread flour) I bought at the Metro at cost. :)

I have plenty of pasta; probably enough to keep me alive through two weeks of quarantine by itself. I would be very sick of pasta though. 

Never had any problem finding pasta, but TP? Rewe at 8.30am yesterday morning and none whatsoever. I think the people with 300 rolls at home are still going out early to the supermarkets to buy up as much as possible "just in case".

18 minutes ago, Metall said:

I'll be happy to split a sack of nice pizza flour (aka strong/high protein/bread flour) I bought at the Metro at cost. :)

I'd be interested in your pizza dough recipe. I normally just use regular flour. :)

We have a winner for the stupidest fucking thing ever during this crisis -

The group that built COVID-19 field hospitals in New York's Central Park is expected to open its tents to patients from Mount Sinai hospitals on Tuesday. But as it seeks medical personnel for its facilities, Samaritan's Purse, a Christian 501(c)(3) organization, has specified its desire for Christian staff members. 

The leader of Samaritan's Purse, Franklin Graham, son of the late evangelical Rev. Billy Graham, called for employees of his Christian creed in a tweet on Sunday. "If you are a Christian doctor, nurse, paramedic, or other medical professional interested in serving COVID-19 patients in our @SamaritansPurse Emergency Field Hospital in NYC, please visit http://samaritanspurse.org," he said. 

the rest

3 hours ago, Dembo said:

I have plenty of pasta; probably enough to keep me alive through two weeks of quarantine by itself. I would be very sick of pasta though. 

Never had any problem finding pasta, but TP? Rewe at 8.30am yesterday morning and none whatsoever. I think the people with 300 rolls at home are still going out early to the supermarkets to buy up as much as possible "just in case".

I just returned from my afternoon shopping for bananas and Air Wick refills.  The Rossmann had TP stacked in the carts on display outside the main doors.  Meanwhile, the Edeka in the same parking lot had none.  The Edeka was also out of flour and my favorite chips (crisps to some).  The Edeka now has a policy that everyone must use a push cart, which is sanitized at the door by an employee.  The cart apparently helps with keeping distance, but some shoppers lack sufficient spatial awareness and maneuver the cart through the aisles as if they were the only shopper in the store.

Across town, the Rewe had everything.  Shoppers had a choice of ja! TP in ten-roll packs, extra soft TP in eight-roll packs, or mega extra soft with mandel TP in four-roll packs.  Hardly anyone in the store had TP in the carts.

The most miscellaneous that miscellaneous ever miscellaneoused.

Down side ?
My knuckles make me look like I was in a bar brawl yesterday (red and raw).

Seems that the constant washing has removed so much natural oil

that my skin is cracking up - especially around my knuckles.

Need more hand cream I suppose, but I was never a fan of greasy hands.

see, I don't wash my hands excessively unless I've left the apartment or handled incoming goods/packages/food delivery.  Yes I live dangerously ;)

but @HH_SailorI can honestly and enthusiastically recommend a product called Glysolid hautbalsam - it comes in a short, red pot about 10 cm around.  It's primarily glycerin and it is the only thing that works on my hands when I have bouts of eczema.  If you use it sparingly it's non-greasy, too.  I always find it at DM but I'd guess it's generally around.  costs less than 2 euros/pot last time I stocked up.

34 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Down side ?
My knuckles make me look like I was in a bar brawl yesterday (red and raw).

Seems that the constant washing has removed so much natural oil

that my skin is cracking up - especially around my knuckles.

Need more hand cream I suppose, but I was never a fan of greasy hands.

La spoon full of Lard... a good hand full of sugar and rub it in... keep rubbing for 5 mins then gently was the lard off... warm water and dove soap...  works wonders.... 

My granddad used to swear by it, he said without using it, his hands were so rough he could ladder flannel knickers!   

On 3/31/2020, 5:46:52, Krieg said:

Long time ago China wrote an app and made using the app and carrying the phone mandatory in the affected areas.   So they can track who you might have potentially infected.  And here we are worried about the Man knowing if I go to Kaufland or not.   I am as pro civil rights as any westerner but too much "privacy" and first world problems might be our doom.

As MM said it`s not what they do with the data now it`s what they do with it after this is all over.

Some advice for dealing with lockdown from a few guys:

Russell Brand and Wim Hof discuss dealing with Coronavirus:

10 hours ago, Janx Spirit said:

What I'd give now for six pints of beer, a curry and a farting competition...

I`m still having farting competitions it`s just the wife doesn`t know its a competition so I keep winning.