Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,888 posts in this topic

haha, I'm trying to take #staythefuckhome seriously and spend as little time in as few stores as I can.  I need a simple 10-pack of TP and a 4-pack of paper towels.  It would also be nice to get some canned tomatoes and flour.  I have no idea why going to Kaufland should mean I take a lot of shits and therefore need a lot of toilet paper but it made me :lol:

edit @LukeSkywalker the stores in my neighborhood sell out of the "hot" items on the same day they're delivered, despite "one package per customer" rules.  That's why I need a master strategy -_-

3 hours ago, Dembo said:

Expect to see a lot more cameras and a lot more facial recognition, and then not carrying your phone might be irrelevant.

Face mask. Duh!

1 hour ago, dessa_dangerous said:

haha, I'm trying to take #staythefuckhome seriously and spend as little time in as few stores as I can.  I need a simple 10-pack of TP and a 4-pack of paper towels.  It would also be nice to get some canned tomatoes and flour.  I have no idea why going to Kaufland should mean I take a lot of shits and therefore need a lot of toilet paper but it made me :lol:

edit @LukeSkywalker the stores in my neighborhood sell out of the "hot" items on the same day they're delivered, despite "one package per customer" rules.  That's why I need a master strategy -_-

I would send you a tenner, Dessa, but it would probably get stolen in the mail.

Do people really want to wear masks to get around  facial recognition ?, even if they did, then the government would ban them if it hides  your identity.

I heard it was already illegal, for a motorbiker to wear his helmet at a petrol station, so the camera could identify you from your face. 

@arunadasi I remember (but can't now find) your blog and you mentioning a hospital you founded in India  - is it still running? Is it involved in the corona? Does it need help?

Sorry if the questions are stupid - I tried to do a tiny bit of background research through the forum but the search function failed me.

5 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

That's hamstering. I noticed 2 cans of baked beans in Edeka, but took only one :).

So that's why my cheeks started bulging... :o

9 hours ago, kiplette said:

@arunadasi I remember (but can't now find) your blog and you mentioning a hospital you founded in India  - is it still running? Is it involved in the corona? Does it need help?

Sorry if the questions are stupid - I tried to do a tiny bit of background research through the forum but the search function failed me.

I didn't found it -- I was involved in the charity that founded it and donated quite a lot of money to it at the time. Back then it was to be a  small maternity hospital for poor women. I still have some photos of the building of it, but that was almost 30 years ago. It is still running, but no longer as a maternity hospital - it's grown into one of the leading and best hospitals in the area. It's not free for anyone -- if I were to use it, I would have to pay for instance -- but afaik poor local people are given treatment free of charge. website:  http://rmrhealth.org/

11 hours ago, LukeSkywalker said:

That's hamstering. I noticed 2 cans of baked beans in Edeka, but took only one :).

I'll bet somebody else came along and took all the remaining beans, in spite of your restraint! :P 

11 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I need a simple 10-pack of TP and a 4-pack of paper towels.  It would also be nice to get some canned tomatoes and flour.

Canned tomatoes should be easy peasy, the TP should be achievable but you might have to try several places and you might have to lower your expectations, we are right now on recycled TP; but paper towels and flour you are just being unrealistic.

If it helps anyone. last week it seemed our local Edeka had a big shipment of TP on Thursday. I was there at 10 am and it was fully stocked. Saturday it was empty again, according to my Whatsapp group.

29 minutes ago, Krieg said:

but paper towels and flour you are just being unrealistic.

My Edeka has stopped shelving the flour and sugar and has a pallet of each at the front of aisle. Berlin still does have flour.

5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

My Edeka has stopped shelving the flour and sugar and has a pallet of each at the front of aisle. Berlin still does have flour.

Great to know, I hope I can score 2kg on Saturday, we are running low already.

Here in Munich I found V-Markt the one having more stuff when all the other shops (edeka included) were having empty shelves. For the pasta lovers ( i saw past disappearing from shelves like toilet papier) mountains of pasta, from the cheap brand to the mainstream ones (barilla, buitoni) to the top brand (De Cecco, Molisana).

A bit over priced compared to the already overpriced ones (rewe/edeka) but you can avoid to go to several different markets in order to complete your weekly grocery. 

I went out for a treasure hunt this morning looking for a light bulb for my bathroom light.  It has some funny little halogen bulbs.  In the process, I actually came across some TP, both by Rossmann and Kaufland.  It was about 9 am and I'm sure it didn't last long.  Rossmann had a sign up stating that there is no problem with the TP supply and please don't go crazy.

I was just at Rewe. Flour, TP, paper towels and pasta are stocked...but I live in Dogpatch. 

Maybe it's time to dust off those aircraft on display near the Frankfurt Airport and start a second wave of the Berlin Airlift.  :D

On Saturday, the shelves at the local Rewe were fulll to nearly full, including TP, flour, sugar, and pasta.  There was a pallet each of TP and kitchen paper near the checkout lines.  Yesterday the pallets were gone, but there was plenty of TP on the shelves.