Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,944 posts in this topic

If someone wrote to you just now saying that they hoped you and yours were doing OK and keeping well, would you:

1. acknowledge and reciprocate;

2. ignore and reply about something else or

3. ignore completely?

I've had all three responses: most people doing 1,  one online acquaintance doing 2 and one coworker (who I have little to do with as he works in a different location but have never found particularly friendly) 3.

10 minutes ago, Lorelei said:

If someone wrote to you just now saying that they hoped you and yours were doing OK and keeping well, would you:

1. acknowledge and reciprocate;

2. ignore and reply about something else or

3. ignore completely?

I've had all three responses: most people doing 1,  one online acquaintance doing 2 and one coworker (who I have little to do with as he works in a different location but have never found particularly friendly) 3.

My response would depend on the sender:

Response 1 if the sender was a friend in good standing.

Response 3 if I had a voodoo doll of the person on my punishment shelf.  :lol:

6 hours ago, LeonG said:

China probably already has a way to track their citizens.

Long time ago China wrote an app and made using the app and carrying the phone mandatory in the affected areas.   So they can track who you might have potentially infected.  And here we are worried about the Man knowing if I go to Kaufland or not.   I am as pro civil rights as any westerner but too much "privacy" and first world problems might be our doom.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

China wrote an app and made using the app and carrying the phone mandatory in the affected areas.

China has been doing this with the Uyghurs for years.  A close friend of mine is a Uyghur.  What has happened is frightening beyond belief.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/report-uyghurs-in-china-forced-to-install-surveillance-app-that-leaves-their-data-unsecured-04102018164341.html

7 hours ago, JG52 said:

The German authorities can track me all day long by my cell phone and will be pleased to see I stay home all day perched on a table by the front door.  Unless I'm going on an overnight trip or travel specifically to meet someone, I don't carry my cell phone.  I do not have the need to be instantly connected to anyone else at all times.

Expect to see a lot more cameras and a lot more facial recognition, and then not carrying your phone might be irrelevant.

Hello, people, especially (?) Berlin people: I want to go to Kaufland this week.  What days have you all had the most success getting paper products?

Also, what are stores like in the mornings?  The last time I was shopping was between 10 and 11am on a Wednesday and all three shops I visited were pretty empty of people (but empty of goods, too, which is why I "had to" go to three).  Are there people queuing up in front of the shops at opening time?  If I get to Kaufland at 7am will I have to battle a bunch of seniors and tin foil hatters and other paranoid but healthy people such as myself?

Thanks much in advance.

39 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

China has been doing this with the Uyghurs for years.  A close friend of mine is a Uyghur.  What has happened is frightening beyond belief.

https://www.rfa.org/english/news/uyghur/report-uyghurs-in-china-forced-to-install-surveillance-app-that-leaves-their-data-unsecured-04102018164341.html

But that would be a difference scenario when surveillance is abused, in the current situation I think it is needed.

13 minutes ago, Dembo said:

Expect to see a lot more cameras and a lot more facial recognition, and then not carrying your phone might be irrelevant.

By the time that happens, I will likely be beyond caring about who knows where I am.  I think the current surveillance restrictions in Germany will require a major facelift before we see the same level of surveillance that exists in the UK.

A couple of years ago, I spent over a month documenting and assembling evidence to successfully demonstrate to the German government that the perimeter video surveillance system at one of our military installations was not capable of providing the video resolution to identify an individual or a the license plate of a passing vehicle.

I have actually heard people here are being encouraged by the authorities to feed stray cats and dogs because those people who drive around areas zealously to help ( a very small minority ) are having their movements restricted for obvious reasons.

10 hours ago, Wulfrun said:

The supermarket actually had Spätzle on the shelf, first time in a month, I grabbed the last 2 packs...

That's hamstering. I noticed 2 cans of baked beans in Edeka, but took only one :).

2 hours ago, john g. said:

Some people have nothing better to do at this time:

PHOTO-2020-03-31-18-50-48.jpg

I would strike out Dich and replace it with Sie

Buying the time ( cash only🙏🏻) of the eye doc tomorrow in town, stopping over at the petrol station where the attendant is on Cold Turkey cos he as a chain smoker is too padded up to have ciggie breaks and I need a better light bulb for the office!

😂

Toilet paper? No! I am a Morgenmensch and shit less than the dogs!

Cat and dog food- that‘s it! I think we might buy some food as well!

Fuck corona!

3 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

I would strike out Dich and replace it with Sie

No!! DU Arsch sounds better!😂

2 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Hello, people, especially (?) Berlin people: I want to go to Kaufland this week.  But I don't want to go to 12 other stores afterward, if I can avoid it.  (I'm actually planning on going Thursday because if all else fails, I can skulk around my closest Edeka for a while, who is supposed to get their delivery at some point that day).  What was the last day of the week you were able to score toilet paper or paper towels at Kaufland?  Rewe?  Any other suggestions?  My area, Rathaus Neukölln, is like five high streets piled up on top each other, with doubles of most chain shops in close vicinity.  So I can also go to Rossmans, dms, Nettos, LIDLs, ALDIs (yuck) but would be nice to scoop up everything at Kaufland if I can.  What days have you all had the most success?

Also, what are stores like in the mornings?  The last time I was shopping was between 10 and 11am on a Wednesday and all three shops I visited were pretty empty of people (but empty of goods, too, which is why I "had to" go to three).  Are there people queuing up in front of the shops at opening time?  If I get to Kaufland at 7am will I have to battle a bunch of seniors and tin foil hatters and other paranoid but healthy people such as myself?

Thanks much in advance.

OK, you admit you're paranoid. That makes it easier. You need a plan like in the A-Team and a strategy. You have the whole Wednesday to work on that. Please get up early. We have no time to waste.

You want to scoop up everything at Kaufland, so you must be a heavy user of TP?Are you thinking pallet-wise? This is important for logistics and routing incl. picking order. If other people share their experiences and when they fill up, we can use the ATP-principle (available to promise) similar like in MRP (material requirements planning) used in manufacturing as well. Let's do this shit!