Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,393 posts in this topic

35 minutes ago, slammer said:

To me it seems that Corona is a squirt of lube on the slippery slide to the Right, Germany for instance is contemplating using cellphone data to track movements like the Korean´s and Chinese are already doing. Brazil under Bolsonaro is trying to ignore the virus despite a stratsospheric rise in infections and Italy has gone balls out police state.

Why the Right? Leftist governments also become more autocratic when faced with crisis.  This is not right or left, it is the state adapting to the current situation.

35 minutes ago, slammer said:

Corona seems to be the catalyist for the democratic process to be watered down.

I think that in the aftermath our society will be a little bit more faschist and a little more "police-y."

States need to adapt. For example, there is no EU-wide regulation regarding quarantine. A lot of countries cannot legally force people into quarantine, because until now it looked "un-democratic".

Definitely what Korea and China showed is that power at hand can solve situations like this. The problem with power at hand is what you do with it when it is not needed...

The supermarket actually had Spätzle on the shelf, first time in a month, I grabbed the last 2 packs...

Germany has an app which is on a voluntary basis.  Supposedly they don't share the data of your whereabouts either but who knows.  A couple of other countries offer similar.  China probably already has a way to track their citizens.

6 minutes ago, Wulfrun said:

The supermarket actually had Spätzle on the shelf, first time in a month, I grabbed the last 2 packs...

Spätzle is super easy to make, I do it with the kids regularly.   Maybe it will not get exactly the same consistency of the store bought (which is normally firmer) but good enough to eat it.   It is allegedly easier if you have a Spätzle press, but we use a grater.

Edit: Provided you can find flour

The German authorities can track me all day long by my cell phone and will be pleased to see I stay home all day perched on a table by the front door.  Unless I'm going on an overnight trip or travel specifically to meet someone, I don't carry my cell phone.  I do not have the need to be instantly connected to anyone else at all times.

Massive thunderstorm here right now- if that doesn’t kill corona, nothing will!👍🏼

Not so long ago, a covered face (Vermummung) was forbidden in Germany and a few other countries (including Austria, which now requires all people in Austria to wear a mask) and that had to do with hiding your identity.  Now I guess that's been scrapped so people can go in public wearing a mask for health purposes? The mask wearing will certainly lead police to have problems identifying criminals by using face recognition software. Hopefully no criminals will take advantage of the mask wearing to go do some stupid things. 

22 hours ago, fraufruit said:

marchtostop.jpg.cb22a762989231db251843aa

Post of the day yesterday! Hammer!🙏🏻😂

15 hours ago, franklan said:

I remember the days when every German Kneipe had a large beer boot behind the till (up to 3 liters!!!), and whenever somebody had the urge to spend money (became father, got a better job, won the lottery) this boot was filled and made the round among the lads. This was considered normal, umpteen lads drinking from the same glass...

This habit died in the early 80ies when the first pictures of dying AIDS-patients were on the telly, and this old custom never came back... 

AIDS/HIV doesn't spread by drinking from the same glass. That already was refuted in the 1980s, and bears repeating again.

Now Corona virus...

11 minutes ago, cybil said:

Not so long ago, a covered face (Vermummung) was forbidden in Germany and a few other countries (including Austria, which now requires all people in Austria to wear a mask) and that had to do with hiding your identity.  Now I guess that's been scrapped so people can go in public wearing a mask for health purposes? The mask wearing will certainly lead police to have problems identifying criminals by using face recognition software. Hopefully no criminals will take advantage of the mask wearing to go do some stupid things. 

I remember these discussions heavily connected as well to forbidding the Hijab/Chador/Niqab/Burka/etc.   And I remember that the logic failed because there is no much difference between a Hijab and a hoodie.   I guess all that seem pretty silly nowadays.

And anyway, as far as I know, hiding your face is only not allowed in situations that involve lots of people, like demonstrations.   I don't think there will be lot of demos nowadays, but you never know.   And I think it applies as well to football games and to car drivers, but not to motorcycles.   And I think when entering official buildings.

6 minutes ago, Krieg said:

And I think it applies as well to football games and to car drivers, but not to motorcycles.

You have to open your face shield or remove your helmet in many places when you go in to pay for your gas, shop, etc. At least that used to be the case.

2 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

You have to open your face shield or remove your helmet in many places when you go in to pay for your gas, shop, etc. At least that used to be the case.

That would be a shop policy, not the law.   I think.

At our local petrol station, the attendant is dressed up like he was walking on the Moon! Fully padded up, face mask , gloves— the works!

The good news! He told us he’s a heavy smoker but even for him it’s too much hassle to “ undress “ himself in work time and is on a kind of enforced Cold Turkey program!😂

It's a wacky world. We used to fight over who had to unload the dishwasher - now we fight over who gets to unload it.

JK. Sorta.

Neighbors update: since the note (written about in the Vent), the upstairs neighbors seem to be making an effort not to carve canoes in the living room, at least for lengths of time in one go (all I really ask for, as a hobby musician and singer, I also can make a lot of noise, but try for the sanity of my neighbors to limit it to an hour or so at a time--no clue how my family or neighbors put up with it when I practiced several hours daily in the house I grew up in).

A day or two after it was suggested that I report them all to the cops, the situation appeared to have solved itself, which was great because as much as I didn't want to do it, I did take the advice of those who advised me to do it to heart.  I hate moral quandaries and like many people find myself nearly paralyzed with indecision about the simplest things on an almost daily basis ;) 

However, a somewhat ugly twist to the end of playdates (well, they do still seem to happen, but for far shorter amounts of time and just with the kids--I don't hear piles of adults up there anymore, kids are supposed to be resistant?  I guess?) is that people are stuck with just their own families all day and it doesn't seem to be going so well in either home.  The parents are fed up.  The kids probably spend the same amount of time screaming and being difficult (I think the oldest is the upstairs kid with six years, downstairs they appear to be about four and two, respectively) but the parents seem to be running out of patience faster, both with the kids and with each other.  So it starts out like this: kid does something that displeases one parent, one parent loses their shit almost immediately, second parent comes in and gets involved, first parent yells back, kid screams even louder Because Stress, everybody's screaming, kids and occasionally parents crying, lather, rinse, repeat.

Asshole downstairs have always had a bit of a short fuse, both with the kids and with each other, but the confinement seems to be taking its toll on everybody equally at the moment. :( I really feel sorry for all of them and I am SO GLAD it wasn't necessary to call police and add to the stress.  Both families appear to be crawling the walls at some point almost daily.  

1 hour ago, Metall said:

AIDS/HIV doesn't spread by drinking from the same glass.

Hindsight is 19/82...