Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,700 posts in this topic

Just now, john g. said:

I only  want the best for you..don´t stick your fingers in your face..

@john g. Your warning is too late for some...

Astrophysicist gets magnets stuck up nose while inventing coronavirus device.

Australian Dr Daniel Reardon ended up in hospital after 
inserting magnets in his nostrils while building a necklace 
that warns you when you touch your face

The rest - even rocket scientists can be sometimes stupid...

The UK being the UK, via twitter

WP stopped my wife on Sat night driving home alone from a stressful, traumatic 12-hour care shift - held her for 10-15 mins while they rang her workplace (said her uniform and care pin wasn't enough evidence). She missed saying g'night to our daughter. Unreconstructed fascism.

-or-

Receiving stories from around UK about over-zealous police & shopping. One man was stopped & asked why he had bought paint, another asked about stationery (both bought while food shopping). There's a thin blue line between protection and 'none of your farking business, officer'.  @SoniaPoulton

many many more like this

Seen this before, people get in a political arguement over twitter and the police show up to have a discussion over you having the wrong political views. 

52 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

WP stopped my wife... held her for 10-15 mins while they rang her workplace (said her uniform and care pin wasn't enough evidence).

Sounds familiar actually... a little power can go to some people's heads and then they proceed to wield it mightily.

This is staged at late afternoon on a roof of a building facing Piazza Navona in Rome, famous also for Bernini and Borromini art pieces. Usually that place is always crowded by tourists. 

Music is Debora's Theme by Ennio Morricone from Once Upone a Time in America of Sergio Leone.

Personally I would just avoided the italian flag (I am italian, but I don't like patriotic-drama stuff) 

https://youtu.be/JEjaip1ePYM

Excellent Video Sannerl.

Today I found out about the first Covid 19 death of someone I knew personally.

I haven't see her for over 50 years but Marcella was the younger sister of a good friend of mine. She was a boisterous, outspoken, funloving teenager, very much a tomboy with loads of character so I can only imagine what she became as an adult. According to FB posts she was much loved and admired by loads of people.

So, it is all coming a bit closer.

2 hours ago, optimista said:

Sounds familiar actually... a little power can go to some people's heads and then they proceed to wield it mightily.

Speaking of the UK my understanding they were under social distancing rules similar to Canada or Germany not a total Italian style lock down

Anyone else noticed this: you're watching an ordinary movie, and you automatically cringe at people touching each other, shaking hands, etc?! I really need to pull myself together! :)

Supervalu here offers same day delivery as well as click and collect, if you order before 12. They seemed to have everything, except flour! I didn't look for tp, though! People are told to stay 2 metres apart, with signs everywhere and on the floor, few people in store at once, plexiglass barriers for cashiers, constant announcements as you shop, elderly and vulnerable can come 9 - 10 and will get help.

😂 arunadasi!

Actually, I have found myself shaking my head when I see old villagers here chatting really close up to each other! Like almost nose to nose!

And then I pull myself together and remember many of them are visually impaired or hard of hearing...

8 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Anyone else noticed this: you're watching an ordinary movie, and you automatically cringe at people touching each other, shaking hands, etc?! I really need to pull myself together! :)

I remember the days when every German Kneipe had a large beer boot behind the till (up to 3 liters!!!), and whenever somebody had the urge to spend money (became father, got a better job, won the lottery) this boot was filled and made the round among the lads. This was considered normal, umpteen lads drinking from the same glass...

This habit died in the early 80ies when the first pictures of dying AIDS-patients were on the telly, and this old custom never came back... 

53 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Supervalu here offers same day delivery as well as click and collect, if you order before 12. They seemed to have everything, except flour! I didn't look for tp, though! People are told to stay 2 metres apart, with signs everywhere and on the floor, few people in store at once, plexiglass barriers for cashiers, constant announcements as you shop, elderly and vulnerable can come 9 - 10 and will get help.

Just thinking about the way we normally speak at the end of a phone call in Germany to people we like! eg “ eine Umarmung fuer Dich”. 
What will replace that?” “ 2 Meter fuer Dich!”

😂

"Funny" what a simple scarf around your face can do - I did that today (along with a cotton glove on my right hand) fetching the mail today.

Suddenly, another tenant (without any protection) kept her distance... I told her that one never knows if one was infected...

Her parents are way older than us and live in the same building (only 9 parties at the moment; most of them elderly)...

Re: Masks.

SWR2 Radio this morning mentioned all Austrians must wear a mask. 

A crafty co-worker who likes to sew came to work wearing her own home made mask. 

When I make my own masks, one will say:

'FCK COVID-19' on it, I'll write it with black indelible marker; others may sport whiskers like a cat face, etc. I mean to have fun with it while I can. 

How to make your own: (two videos)  https://www.woman.at/a/corona-schutzmasken-diy

A caution which might make you think twice about wearing one all day long:  https://www.woman.at/a/fotos-masken-gesichter-aerzte

Well that was "unexpected..." Looks like Orban has gotten his little Führer on in Hungary. He now has the right to rule by decrete instead of via parlement with unlimited power for unlimited time.
Then on the news Trump has prepped the Americans for up to 100.000 deaths. I can see what he is doing; speculating on a much lower body count so that in November he will be coming up smelling like a rose. And if the death toll is much higher then it will be the fault of the "Evil chinese virus!"
Also it seems that there is a whiff of martial law in the UK with police arresting and fining people for being outside for shopping or going to work.

To me it seems that Corona is a squirt of lube on the slippery slide to the Right, Germany for instance is contemplating using cellphone data to track movements like the Korean´s and Chinese are already doing. Brazil under Bolsonaro is trying to ignore the virus despite a stratsospheric rise in infections and Italy has gone balls out police state.

Corona seems to be the catalyist for the democratic process to be watered down.

I think that in the aftermath our society will be a little bit more faschist and a little more "police-y."