Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,391 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, LukeSkywalker said:

If you violate the Coronavirus curfew in India, the police will humilate you in public: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P8hfjxWSI-E

Others were hit with a wooden stick or whip.

Idiot in the Netherlands coughed and spat at bus driver -> 8 weeks prison...

https://www.aachener-nachrichten.de/nrw-region/niederlande/mann-bespuckt-busfahrer-und-droht-mit-coronainfektion_aid-49788709

Hi guys,

not too sure what to do, so I`ll ask you, and then make a decision.

Last weekend I popped a letter through the door of a few elderly neighbours, offering to do shopping, etc for them if they didn`t want to go out themselves.

Absolutely no problem for me, as I work at a discounter...

One couple sent back a nice letter, asking me to get about half a dozen things for them, which I did.

But now they have put the payment for said goods through my letter box, plus €20 to "go to the cinema".

Whilst it really is a nice gesture on their side, I feel totally awkward about it - all I wanted to do was make sure they stay home and don`t get ill, and now I feel like they are literally paying me for getting that little bit of shopping. I don`t want to offend them, but at the same time I don`t feel I can accept so  much "payment" - I was thinking more in terms of rounding up to the nearest € or so...

So, what should I do?

I would simply say to them...

Thanks for the 20€... I told the cinema manager about the story and he gave me a 20€ token for "My local discounter"...

Then ask them what can I do for them?

3 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

So, what should I do?

It's a gift, accept it as such.  If I were the couple, I would have done the same

Really nice of you, and your neighbours must be grateful and relieved to have your help. Accept with grace, but tell them you would rather they gave this to a local charity.

Just a suggestion.

On a side note... 

I asked a neighbour if they needed and shopping and he said yeah sure..

So I gave him my shopping list.. Pontless both of ús going to the shop... 

Hi Rob! You are a kind soul🙏🏻
I personally would thank them and say it is not necessary and we are all in this together. 
And Gott schuetze Dich or something like that. I don’t think they would be offended!

Or say “ when this is all over, let’s go to the cinema together!”

💋

Okay guys (and gals!), thanks for your thoughts!

I`ll tuck it away for a "rainy day", and see if I can fetch back some other useful stuff for them with the money - loo roll or whatever :D

It really is very kind of them , but I don`t want it to be a financial burden on them either, if you see what I mean?

If they are German they would never want to accept your help for free. That's just the way it is. Accept it and pay it forward in some way, as others have suggested.

12 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

I`ll tuck it away for a "rainy day", and see if I can fetch back some other useful stuff for them with the money - loo roll or whatever :D

Rainy days?

Have a little garden party with barbecue and such with those neighbors once this sh*t is over...

@robinson100 well, it looks like you found a solution, but in case you're open to changing your mind: I would just tell them it was no trouble at all and I'll hold on to the €20 until the next time I pick up things for them.  Or you could use half of the money to bring them some more stuff that they already asked for and use the rest to buy yourself a cake or something, and offer them some of the cake.  

I dunno, I am tucked away here away from humanity and have no idea how normal people do things anymore! :ph34r:

2 hours ago, robinson100 said:

But now they have put the payment for said goods through my letter box, plus €20 to "go to the cinema".

So, what should I do?

The cinema?  

Do they read the effing news?

They are obviously taking the piss, Robbo!

If you've got legal insurance sue them for Beleidigung!

They would do it to you! 

Cheers,

Hf99 

p.s. Or ask them for more money. Tell them that the cinema costs €1000 per ticket and popcorn costs €200.  Old people can easily be conned out of cash. 

We just returned from our weekend shopping at the local Rewe.  Access to the store was controlled, one out, one in, and shopping was a breeze.  All the shelves were stocked, with no shortages that I could see.  The toilet paper and kitchen towel shelves were about two-thirds full with several brands, and there was a pallet of ja! toilet paper and kitchen towels near the checkout line.  There was a store limit of one pack of toilet paper (10 rolls of 160 sheets) per person per visit.  I didn't notice if there was any hand sanitizer.

We still have paper from our last purchase two months ago, so we didn't buy any today.  While waiting the four or five minutes in line to get in the store, I noticed that at least half of the people leaving didn't have any toilet paper in their carts.  Maybe the hoarding madness is over...at least in my town.

33 minutes ago, LukeSkywalker said:

Trivia: Where is the error in this picture about the new Slovak government?

image.png

Not sure, do you have a smaller more pixelated picture?

well here's a new twist...

The idea:

German gov. put a plan in place to prevent being kicked out of your

flat if you can't pay the rent (Apr to Sept) due to lack of income

if your place of work kicks you out or puts you on short time working...

Reality:

Adidas, H&M to stop paying rent over outbreak closures

Big retailers in Germany say they plan to stop paying rent 
for stores that were told to close in order to slow the pandemic. 
Adidas is leading the charge, along with shoe chain Deichmann and Swedish clothing giant H&M.

The rest

Now, this means that large companies (like those named) pass on their debts (albeit for a few months)

to the investor who built the store  who now can't pay the mortgage.

They in turn go to the bank for "tide me over for a few months"  loan.

The banks also approach the gov. wanting a bail out if these debts can't be paid on time.

I'm sure this wasn't the spirit behind the new law.

Is this an example of lawmaking in a hurry - and an example of why they usually take ages to decide anything?  

I will keep in mind Adidas, H&M and Deichmann for the future, my money will go somewhere else.