Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,387 posts in this topic

I think I've found another silver lining. We never had guests over often enough. Now that we can't have any, I'm seeing the error of our ways. I think we will entertain more after this nightmare. Just saying. I miss people.

15 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think I've found another silver lining. We never had guests over often enough. Now that we can't have any, I'm seeing the error of our ways. I think we will entertain more after this nightmare. Just saying. I miss people.

Be careful what you wish for. First day of having people over and you'll be longing to be back in isolation.

16 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Finally have time to catch up with friends and family more often. Chatted on Face time this am with siblings, niece,  and friends in the  UK and South Africa.

I agree FF- too often we get caught up in a busy world/life, and  maybe we will learn to slow down, and continue when it is over.

4 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Thanks.  We call them town homes, condominiums, row houses, duplexes etc. Everything else is just a house.

11 hours ago, Krieg said:

I think I relate.   I come from a place where we don't rat people out and the general perception of the authorities is that while they are supposed to be there for all of us, they are not there for us in particular.

I highly suspect your feelings are similar.

On 25/03/2020, 15:37:04, arunadasi said:

Another (personal) silver lining and hopefully not TMI for you: I haven't worn a bra for over a week.

town houses are a completely different thing here :)

Trump doesn't believe that New York needs that many ventilators. 

President Donald Trump rejected calls from New York’s governor that the state needed tens of thousands of new ventilators to treat a mass of patients infected with the novel coronavirus, saying he didn’t believe those numbers were accurate.

“I have a feeling that a lot of the numbers that are being said in some areas are just bigger than they’re going to be,” Trump told Fox News’ Sean Hannity on Thursday night. “I don’t believe you need 40,000 or 30,000 ventilators. You know, you go into major hospitals sometimes, they’ll have two ventilators. And now all of a sudden they’re saying can we order 30,000 ventilators?”

He added: “Look, it’s a very bad situation. We haven’t seen anything like it, but the end result is we’ve got to get back to work, and I think we can start by opening up certain parts of the country.”

the rest

I haven't heard this woman give a clear answer to any of the questions she has been asked at the pressers. Now she says this -

Dr. Deborah Birx, the coordinator for the White House’s coronavirus task force, said during a press update on Thursday that there was no “evidence” that hospitals were facing a severe shortage of ventilators.

However, a report from The New York Times on Friday revealed, in harrowing detail, that the Elmhurst Hospital Center in Queens, New York, scrambled to get more ventilators while having to work with only “a few dozen.” 

Birx downplayed such reports, saying that she has been reassured by New York officials that “there are still ICU beds in New York.”

Birx also said there were “over 1,000 to 2,000” available ventilators in the city, though she did not provide details on how and when hospitals were getting access to them.

“There is no situation in the United States right now that warrants that kind of discussion,” Birx said during Thursday’s White House press conference. “You can be thinking about it in a hospital ... but to say to the American people, to make that implication ... we don’t have evidence of that right now.”

But we do have evidence that there are shortages. Mind-boggling it is.

United States of America.

As in: United In Denial, In God We Trust.

*puke*

24 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

FTFY

Eh? It takes two to handshake so I assume "both" is implied.

38 minutes ago, Metall said:

United States of America.

As in: United In Denial, In God We Trust.

*puke*

Indeed.  I lived in Tennessee for 10 years before moving to Germany, and stayed on a FB group my former neighbors had created, because I liked a few of them and wanted to stay in touch.

I had to leave it recently, because it has become nothing but a venue to share hoaxes, conspiracy theories, fake cures, xenophobia, announcements about local churches holding in-person "Coronavirus Defiance Services," and the like.

The US has collectively fallen off the cliff.

Pro-Joe Biden Super PAC Says It’s Buying More Airtime For Coronavirus Ad That Trump Campaign Wants Pulled

After President Donald Trump’s campaign sent cease and desist letters to TV stations to try to get them to stop airing an ad criticizing his coronavirus response, the super PAC behind the spot is buying up more airtime.

Priorities USA Action said that they are expanding their buy into Arizona, with a $600,000 outlay. The ad still running on stations in Florida, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin, according to Priorities USA. They already announced a $6 million buy in battleground states.

Guy Cecil, chairman of Priorities USA, said in a statement that “the fact that Trump is going to such great lengths to keep the American people from hearing his own words adds to the urgency of communicating them far and wide.”

So, I work at home. I am mildly agoraphobic and prefer small gatherings in my home to big gatherings out. I don't go to festivals and seldom drink in bars here because in this little town bartenders are people who open cans of mixed drinks. My life has changed relatively little over the last two weeks other than that I have had the pleasure of having lunch with my wife and I have edited and/or written summaries for a dozen COVID-19 articles. 

There is some benefit to being satisfied being alone with your spouse. This is the time for introverts to shine. I feel like I've been training for this my whole life.

1 minute ago, AlexTr said:

So, I work at home. I am mildly agoraphobic and prefer small gatherings in my home to big gatherings out. I don't go to festivals and seldom drink in bars here because in this little town bartenders are people who open cans of mixed drinks. My life has changed relatively little over the last two weeks other than that I have had the pleasure of having lunch with my wife and I have edited and/or written summaries for a dozen COVID-19 articles. 

There is some benefit to being satisfied being alone with your spouse. This is the time for introverts to shine. I feel like I've been training for this my whole life.

Totally with you!!!!

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Rammstein's vocalist is positive and in an ICU here in Berlin. 

:(