Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,389 posts in this topic

34 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

have you actually done this?  Or known someone who has?  Or are there special cases which are excepted?  I did not know of any anonymous tip lines in Germany, if you report someone, they have a right to know who reported them or am I totally not recalling it correctly?  How could I be anonymous even if I tried?  They will know where the phone call came from.  Or email.

Send a snail mail but be careful not to leave dna or fingerprints

I’ve sunk my expectations so low that a productive day for me now is the children not destroying the house.

Who said India couldn't manage? Not me!  :D

I'm in a Facebook group of my "home" community there and they are posting videos of police actually BEATING people who go out on the street! And one of the videos shows several "naughty" Indians spread out in the street, doing squats, while police officers look on, their "lathis" (clubs) in hand.
One friend was stuck in a small hotel room and has booked an airbnb in order to have more space and cooking facilities. This person is actually scared to leave his room to move out in case the police catch him.

It's really hard on small business people, though. Rickshaw drivers make just enough each day to feed their families but are not allowed out.

I've heard that all the homeless people are being fed at least; people have permission to deliver meal packets to them. 

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

Who said India couldn't manage? Not me!  :D

I'm in a Facebook group of my "home" community there and they are posting videos of police actually BEATING people who go out on the street! And one of the videos shows several "naughty" Indians spread out in the street, doing squats, while police officers look on, their "lathis" (clubs) in hand.

A friend sent me a few of those videos on whatsapp.  In one of them, they are making 3 men with masks so obviously corona time, roll on the ground while beating them with their sticks off and on.  There's also a photo of a guy showing one butt cheek where you can see what kind of marks those sticks left him with.

5 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

have you actually done this?  Or known someone who has? 

I'm sorry I can't remember where I read it.

Or are there special cases which are excepted?  I did not know of any anonymous tip lines in Germany, if you report someone, they have a right to know who reported them or am I totally not recalling it correctly? 

If you accuse someone of something, yes. However, if you inform the police and the police come by, knock on the door, and see for themselves, it doesn't matter where the police got the tip.

How could I be anonymous even if I tried?  They will know where the phone call came from.  Or email.

I'm not sure. If I can find the info, I'll post it.

2 hours ago, LeonG said:

A friend sent me a few of those videos on whatsapp.  In one of them, they are making 3 men with masks so obviously corona time, roll on the ground while beating them with their sticks off and on.  There's also a photo of a guy showing one butt cheek where you can see what kind of marks those sticks left him with.

somehow the idea of going out even though you know it's forbidden, then rolling around on the ground - why?  so the cops can beat you on all sides?...it makes me laugh but not in an entirely good way. 

then again maybe they enjoy a good beating...stranger things have happened.

1 minute ago, lisa13 said:

somehow the idea of going out even though you know it's forbidden, then rolling around on the ground - why?  so the cops can beat you on all sides?...it makes me laugh but not in an entirely good way. 

then again maybe they enjoy a good beating...stranger things have happened.

I couldn't understand what they were saying but it looked like the police were making them roll on the ground to humiliate them maybe and they weren't beating them on all sides, just mostly a swat on the butt or thigh.

On 25/03/2020, 15:37:04, arunadasi said:

Another (personal) silver lining and hopefully not TMI for you: I haven't worn a bra for over a week.

I'm going for the no (sham)poo method whilst we are isolated.. it means up to 10 days with limp hair, but should hopefully help with overactive scalp afterwards :)

The one of them doing squats is really hilarious. It's like a gym class, with all these men in the street squatting up and down, and policemen circling them, tapping their legs with their lathis. I'm going to see if I can post it somehow.

They are all crossing their arms and holding on to opposite ears, which is a ritualistic gesture when worshipping Ganesh.

6 hours ago, Krieg said:

I think I relate.   I come from a place where we don't rat people out and the general perception of the authorities is that while they are supposed to be there for all of us, they are not there for us in particular.

I highly suspect your feelings are similar.

On 25/03/2020, 15:37:04, arunadasi said:

Another (personal) silver lining and hopefully not TMI for you: I haven't worn a bra for over a week.

We're in a semi-detached house. The last two days, despite knowing the risks, next door proceeds to have friends over each day for a BBQ in her garden.

If you have communists in your country, you don't need an enemy:

https://www.en24.news/n24/2020/03/the-cgt-launches-strike-notice-for-the-whole-of-april-in-the-public-service.htm

The CGT launches strike notice for the whole of April in the public service

" A strike in public services in the midst of the coronavirus crisis. This is what the CGT Federation of Public Services wants. It is by a letter sent to three ministers and posted on its website that the federation has just launched its threat.

A strike notice which covers the whole of April and which concerns all of the 85,000 members of this federation, namely local officials, but also the private party affiliated to public services, namely water companies and sanitation, thanatology, the private sector of social housing, as explained by the union in its press release."

"A decision which surprises then that even that the whole of the unions suspended their notice of strike to begin with the CGT of the public finances which had announced a strike for the month of April. It remains to be seen whether this call to strike will be followed in a country in a state of emergency. "

16 minutes ago, Missysx said:

We're in a semi-detached house.

I've always wondered why this isn't called an attached house. What's up with the semi? It's a row house, oder? Attached firmly to the next house.

4 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I've always wondered why this isn't called an attached house. What's up with the semi? It's a row house, oder? Attached firmly to the next house.

It is only attached on 1 side instead of 2?  

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

It's because everyone really wants a "detached" house, ie, free standing. So they want to emphasise that it's only attached on ONE SIDE. The more detached the better. If you say attached people might think it's attached on BOTH SIDES, oh the horror!

A semi-detached house (often abbreviated to semi) is a single family dwelling house that shares one common wall with the next house. The name distinguishes this style of house from detached houses, with no shared walls, and terraced houses, with a shared wall on both sides.

Semi-detached house

so a duplex could also be one and I think that is still quite clearly a house.  Though we are getting a bit off-topic here ;) 

5 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Because some sides of it are not attached?

I live in a house like that too and my next door neighbour is a very quiet guy and never has people over and hasn't changed his ways.

Not everybody is serious about this though.  One of my friends invited me over and I said no, that's not allowed.  He didn't think it was a big deal.  I also got a whatsapp by mistake from a friend of a friend telling me that "we wont be home until 1 pm and after that, Felix will be coming over."  Felix is her kid, maybe 10 or so.  So she's definitely still doing play dates etc.