Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,387 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2020, 1:04:32, dessa_dangerous said:

After waking up to the news this morning (school closures etc) and having had my next couple of weeks work cancelled, I of course went out dutifully to hamster away a few things that I usually pick up on Saturdays.

Usually, at this time of day, my favored pharmacist is empty but naturally there was a line out the door as I approached this mid-morning. Good on him, though, he also keeps up with the news and every time there is a particularly nasty strain of whatever making the rounds--be it a cold or flu or a nasty bronchial thing--he always keeps the heat on and the door wide open, even in dead of winter.  Greta wouldn't like it, but I'm sure his customers are grateful.

So today we were only eight or so people in line but as I said a bit out the door and a young man walks past all of us as if we're just casually waiting around the for the results of a horse race.  The woman behind me informs him in a friendly manner that this is a line, even if it doesn't look like one.  He gets a bit shitty and says to her, I only speak English.  I repeat to him, we're in line here, but we're all giving each other a bit of space, because we don't want to get sick.

This little asshole, this posh little English student says loudly, "Well, that's a bit ridiculous," in quite a sneery manner.  "Is it though?"  I ask.

"Yeah!"

"IS it though?"

"Yeah."

"You don't read the news?  You're ridiculous!"  He shut up then, but as the next lady--ca 60 years old, in hijab--walks in and decides to wait right in front of him, he GRABS her (!!!) by the arm and hostilely says something, I dunno, I was up next and it was now my turn to order.  Then he mean-mugged me as I put my ibuprofen and allergy pills in my bag but had the good sense to look away by the time I was ready to mean-mug him back.

rant 2: all the damned vegans hamstered away the soya granulate, so I was of course FORCED to buy every single last veggie fake wurst slices in my preferred flavor so nobody else could have any.  I would have loved to casually pick up another 10-pack of toilet paper to keep my other 20 rolls company, but that was also out, so compensated by purchasing like 18 packs of ramen.

How was your day?

Good thing that punk, didn't try that with me!  Had I seen him grab that poor lady, I would have knocked him good.

As a Seventy something living in Leipzig, I am somewhat confused by all of this.  Most people here are heeding the rules, but many are not.  I notice this among the young folks most. ( Please don't call me Boomer! )  I actually remember when I was that age, and YES I acted the same way.  We all thought we were invincible.  That is what youth is all about!  I however always treated others with respect, and especially older folks.  That jerk, was exactly that, a jerk!  Some of my younger friends are really having a hard time with this social distancing stuff. One is totally freaking out, and stopped talking to me.  I guess as you get older, it just isn't all that much an issue. I think social distancing just comes with being old. ;)  You get used to it!  I do wish this would all be over, and we can all be sociable again!  If we all hang in there, we can make it thru this thing.  I certainly hope to!

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already but WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO TOILET PAPER. In the store today shelves are full, no real shortage beyond the usual, tomorrow is delivery day, but absolutely no TeePee. I even noticed a sign, one package per customer!!!!!!! By now it should be back in stock.

2 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already but WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO TOILET PAPER

Because people ARE HOARDING IT!

5 minutes ago, Rushrush said:

I'm sure this has been asked a million times already but WHY THE HELL IS THERE NO TOILET PAPER. In the store today shelves are full, no real shortage beyond the usual, tomorrow is delivery day, but absolutely no TeePee. I even noticed a sign, one package per customer!!!!!!! By now it should be back in stock.

When I was at Edeka today there was no tp (I looked because I was curious), however, another customer mentioned that the Rossmann down the street had tons.

Here on the German-Swiss border everything has been back in stock since the border closed. This is not meant in any way to be anti-Swiss.  We all love living in two countries here, but the temporary moratorium on cross border shopping was clearly the correct move at this time.

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I did think there would be a point at which that would stop, though - like how much of their living space are people happy to give to bog roll? At this rate it must be spilling out of the actual loo and into the corridor at the very least - are people now making comfortable furniture out of it? Redesigning their apartments with extra walls?  There are now 5 of us here and I still feel we are all over it, what with about 36 rolls, several hamsters and lots of odd socks.

I went to Lidl today. No toilet paper but they had a pallet of flour and still plenty there. Not many ppl shopping. A couple of ppl were taking 2. An employee said you can take 3 and one guy went back and took a third. Then some older lady came and threw herself over the pallet as if to protect it. She got out a cell phone and started to call someone. I pictured a busload of old ladies coming in a few minutes to scoop up all the flour. Didn't wait for it though.

Does anyone know how cross border mail is going?  DHL says that Europakets may be delayed, but shipping is possible.  I have some relatives quarantined in France, after exposure, and I'd like to send them a care package.  I don't want to include cookies it if takes 14 days to get there, LOL.

Can somebody explain to me what "ventilatoR" (Beatmungsgerät) means?

I read that China sent 1000 to Italy, Italy sized 2000 that were meant for Greece.

That can't be the computer controlled equipment manufactured e.g. by Dräger.

..or do they mean a bottle with oxygen/air a pressure regulator and a mask?

My personal bidet has arrived! That's something to look forward to for tomorrow. Though my TP rationing strategy has worked very well and I've used none at all since the weekend. I hope it does become the new currency as in effect I'm independently wealthy.

Also bought a thermometer as I thought it might be a useful thing to have. 98.3F - after translating from American into English that seems about right.

13 minutes ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Can somebody explain to me what "ventilatoR" (Beatmungsgerät) means?

I read that China sent 1000 to Italy, Italy sized 2000 that were meant for Greece.

That can't be the computer controlled equipment manufactured e.g. by Dräger.

..or do they mean a bottle with oxygen/air a pressure regulator and a mask?

Yes, the real stuff.  They were seized because Italy banned the export of those respirators around one month ago.

Any news on bail out for airlines?

50 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I realize that but by now it should be back in stock especially as they've limits on how much you can buy. Anyways moving on any news on airline bailouts? NY Times article about  ever before has customer demand dropped so swiftly, and never before has it been less clear when — or even if — the global airline industry will truly recover.  A friend works at Condor and they were coming out of "bankruptcy" expecting any day to get a whatsapp saying the airline just shut down, but afraid to ask. Nothing in the news yet.

Another (personal) silver lining and hopefully not TMI for you: I haven't worn a bra for over a week.

Independence Day today here in Greece. Hardly a soul around in our area. We were with the dogs at the beach. Normally, it is packed on this day with families and their picnics and the taverna in full swing.

Nothing, zilch.

😟

52 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

Another (personal) silver lining and hopefully not TMI for you: I haven't worn a bra for over a week.

Ah, are they made of paper towels these days?

(sorry could not resist ;) )

54 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I discarded mine a couple of days ago too. :lol:

The 40 year-old general practitioner in the next village is dead.

Connection anyone?

59 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

I won’t ask you why😂

I’m afraid I haven’t washed my face this week- doc orders not to get any water in my bad eye. 😟