Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,387 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, BethAnnBitt said:

What is NP?  Just curious.  By tiny I really meant the local shops vs the chains, because we know they are having it so hard. 

NP stands for niedrig preis (lower price) and is a chain owned by Edeka.  Apparently Netto is also owned by Edeka while Penny is owned by Rewe and Lidl is apparently in bed with Kaufland.  I had to google some of that.  I don't have any Tante Emma laden nearby.  There is a small bakery here which is just a sales point, I forget which chain and there is a butcher as well.  The nearest small shop would be a Turkish shop but it's too far to walk and parking there kind of sucks.

15 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

The chemists here have started to be in "night mode".

No one allowed in, just need to ring the bell and talk 

(and pay / receive stuff) though a hatch.

Last week a pharmacy near me had put up a sign to not come inside if you are sick but to ring them from outside and they will come out and help you.  For people going inside, they were being asked to keep distance.  Of course selling through the hatch is even better as long as the ppl outside aren't all standing in each others face.

This morning I passed the butcher and they had a new sign saying please only 4 ppl inside at the same time.

It does not get more 'miscellaneous' than this. Just sit down before you watch.

9 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

It does not get more 'miscellaneous' than this. Just sit down before you watch.

Obvious deepfake. The big hands are a giveaway.

12 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Last week a pharmacy near me had put up a sign to not come inside if you are sick but to ring them from outside and they will come out and help you.  For people going inside, they were being asked to keep distance.  Of course selling through the hatch is even better as long as the ppl outside aren't all standing in each others face.

This morning I passed the butcher and they had a new sign saying please only 4 ppl inside at the same time.

I walked past the doctor's surgery this morning on my round with the dog and five patients were waiting outside keeping their distance while waiting to be called in one by one. 

42 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Obvious deepfake. The big hands are a giveaway.

It does kind of make you wonder what Cardi B has going on in the basement, doesn't it?

They have suspended all jury courts in the UK.  The austerity regime has been absolutely awful for the legal system, really grim.  And now Covid 19.

Do all American citizens get that 1,200 USD help money from Trump's govt, irregardless of whether we live in the USA? Asking for a friend. :)

jesus christ.  Tonight it's as if I lived under the train station.

There's definitely no doubt that the decrease in foot and motorized traffic has dramatically altered the way sound carries here.  Before, you'd hear the train, as I said, only very early mornings, while it was still dark out and usually in winter.  Now, I listen to it all day long.  Fainter during the day and steadily getting louder after sunset.

But at the moment it is absolutely roaring into my window.  Mind, this particular window isn't even facing the canal (open Hof, 1950s Neubau).  The sound carries down it and then bounces around in the courtyard though the station is so far away.  Weird, but pretty cool too.  I like it.  Will miss it when it's gone.

I notice sound more too. On a walk in the woods I realized that 'crack' sound every now and then was just pine cones falling from the tall trees. I've never heard that there before. Like someone throwing small rocks.

Just got this from British Airways.

"We're looking forward to welcoming you...". i.e. we hope you are going to cancel, so we don't have to and we don't have to refund you for your flight. I am playing this game of chicken with them until the last minute. 

Dear Customer,

We’re looking forward to welcoming you onboard your upcoming flight to London on 28 March 2020.

At British Airways we take our commitment to your safety, comfort and well-being very seriously, which is why we wanted to tell you about some of the changes we have made to our onboard service to ensure we deliver on that promise.

We know you will understand in the circumstances why it is necessary to avoid food preparation on board our aircraft. This means that food or drinks will not be available to purchase onboard your flight, but we will be offering complimentary light refreshments and hot drinks.

If you have any special dietary requirements or allergies, unfortunately these will not be provided for.

You are very welcome to eat any food you might have brought with you that does not require heating or chilling and we will continue to assist parents who need to heat milk for their children.

If you are preparing for your flight and would like to bring food onboard it’s important for you to be aware that many restaurants and shops at the airport may be closed, so we suggest you purchase any food before you reach the airport.

We hope by the next time you fly with us normal services will have resumed at British Airways but until then, thank you for your patience and understanding.

For the latest information on coronavirus, including answers to frequently asked questions, please go to www.ba.com/coronavirus

British Airways

A prince among men -

Prince Charles is offering tenants on the Duchy of Cornwall estates a three-month rent holiday as they brace for a quiet spring amid the coronavirus pandemic.

It comes as tenants complained of rent hikes on leases, with some reporting jumps from £100 to £7,000 on the Isles of Scilly.

The prince owns 135,000 acres as part of the Duchy estate, which made £21 million last year and on which he charges rent to leaseholders.

Unlike other places in the UK, property owners on Duchy land don’t have the right to buy the freehold, and a recent increase in prices has left some frustrated with the Prince of Wales.

But the Duchy has argued that many changes are based on factors outside their control.

The prince offered rent deferrals for three months to leaseholders in light of the coronavirus pandemic, to reflect the expected loss in revenue.

However, tenants will have to arrange to pay the rent over a period of up to two years, but with no interest charged.

the rest

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

Just got this from British Airways.

"We're looking forward to welcoming you...". i.e. we hope you are going to cancel, so we don't have to and we don't have to refund you for your flight. I am playing this game of chicken with them until the last minute. 

"Höhere Gewalt" may apply.

43 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

👐

36 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

A prince among men -

However, tenants will have to arrange to pay the rent over a period of up to two years, but with no interest charged.

the rest

It looks like a loan rather than a "holiday". I don't mean to sound unappreciative of His Royal Highness's gesture, just saying...

8 minutes ago, Sannerl said:

"Höhere Gewalt" may apply.

I am not sure. There's nothing stopping me from flying. The airports are open and, as far as I know, the UK is not imposing any restrictions on travellers from Germany—they are even getting flights from Rome.

5 hours ago, Smaug said:

While watching TV my dad managed to get a screenshot of this strapping young hero in the yellow long-sleeved shirt. He's none other than the one and only Smaug's Baby Brother! 

He's doing 17-hour shifts in Madrid transferring victims of the pandemic. Bless his cotton socks!

c02.jpg

c01.jpg

Another hero in these difficult times!

You can be really proud to have him as a brother, Smaug!

God bless him!

Did my weekly shop at the local Real, surprised to see around 10 cars in the car park. Inside, the staff outnumbered the customers. Never seen the place so empty, even when it was still Wally world. Distancing reminders everywhere and temporary screens set up between cashiers & customers.

17 hours ago, LeonG said:

...selling through the hatch is even better...

Reminds me of that hole in the church wall where the lepers would peer through during mass...