Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,389 posts in this topic

That said, yesterday on Anne Will, I heard from Quarks and Co.  Ranga Yogeshwar that it takes 2/3 of a population getting a given flu in order to establish a resistance to it. In this way of thinking, I see that the move to keep people appart may be working against that. How can we get resistance when we aren't getting enough exposure to coronavirus? Or is the allowence to go grocery shopping/tank your car etc. the way in which the poplation is still contracting the virus but at a more controlled rate? Anyone care to comment? 

1 minute ago, cybil said:

How can we get resistance when we aren't getting enough exposure to coronavirus?

I think the vaccine will help once they create it. Just like the flu. 

6 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

you are in Brussels.  How would we know?

Maybe someone else is in Brussels and they can give me the heads up? 

5 hours ago, emkay said:

Just went to our local Aldi...the poor security chap was getting a lot of abuse from shoppers who refused to use a trolley.  The distancing wasn’t working very well at all inside until my husband sneezed very loudly, into his elbow of course.  People literally sprang away from him in horror. It would have been less embarrassing if he would have sh*t himself!

5e78c7f70c3ce_bogstandard.JPG.21daa23221

Personal log, 23.03.2020: it has been a week since I voluntarily abdicated from using toilet paper and started using the bidet. I’ve noticed strange side effects like having to change underwear less often and not feeling the need to shower daily. So far I’m managing to survive. I’m starting to wonder what all the fuss is about.. maybe I’ll be dead in one week though we’ll see.

In some other talk show (aren't they all about Coronavirus these days...) mention, like a little blip on a radar that then went totally unaddressed: with the current coronavirus situation we are to expect more violence around us. This latter topic needs to be more fully discussed in such forums and also programs should be broadcast to help people gain some better coping skills. 

11 minutes ago, cybil said:

How can we get resistance when we aren't getting enough exposure to coronavirus?

This was BoJo's 'plan' in the UK, point being 

a. I don't think we yet know if resistance is lasting

b. If hospitals are overwhelmed, then that's not OK and this spreads too easily and brings too many people into hospital to be easily manageable. 

Hence the attempt to reduce further spread, and 'bring down the curve' - so that healthcare doesn't end up absolutely over saturated. 

26 minutes ago, mtbiking said:

Personal log, 23.03.2020: it has been a week since I voluntarily abdicated from using toilet paper and started using the bidet. I’ve noticed strange side effects like having to change underwear less often and not feeling the need to shower daily. So far I’m managing to survive. I’m starting to wonder what all the fuss is about.. maybe I’ll be dead in one week though we’ll see.

When I tell people about my bidet, I always joke that I only have to change underpants once a week. You are right, I shower much less which is good because my skin is terribly dry.

18 minutes ago, hellfire99 said:

Maybe someone else is in Brussels and they can give me the heads up? 

i have only gone to shops twice in the last week - once to PO in Edeka and once to bakery this morning.

Hardly anyone there.  PO was at roughly 9 am and bakery at 8:30

I am hoping that my McD co-workers that can trasfer and work at an Aldi get to stock shelves AFTER HOURS. I worry about the customers harassing/harming them if they have to stock during usual open hours. Not that we didn't get harrassed working at McD or anything but there was rarely a violent customer (those got Hausverbot). Will grocery stores also have the right to impose a Hausverbot on violent customers?

3 minutes ago, cybil said:

Will grocery stores also have the right to impose a house arrest on violent customers?

You can get a ban for a range of things including being disruptive which should cover it. 

17 minutes ago, cybil said:

In some other talk show (aren't they all about Coronavirus these days...) mention, like a little blip on a radar that then went totally unaddressed: with the current coronavirus situation we are to expect more violence around us. This latter topic needs to be more fully discussed in such forums and also programs should be broadcast to help people gain some better coping skills. 

Why more violence? 

4 hours ago, lisa13 said:

but you may as well be shaking hands with a random number of other shoppers if you're handling a trolley.  Unless they are wiping them down between uses.

Supermarkets here have those baskets on wheels which you can pull around, and I use them more than trolleys. I wear gloves when I go shopping now.

Imagine being holed up in self-isolation with a domestic abuser. Or even a partner you're in the process of separating from.

Imagine being holed up with angry teenagers.

It doesn't bear thinking about.
I've started a blog about meditation, with practical exercises. 
Not that it would be of much help in the above cases

why would I imagine those things?

quite honestly even without lockdown-lite those conditions are very debilitating regardless

Himself told me that the divorce rate in China has shot up now that they are relaxing some restrictions in certain places. I can believe it. We haven't killed each other yet but we are only 2 weeks in. JK Actually, we are getting along better than ever.

29 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I think the vaccine will help once they create it. 

You think?  

Good positive posting skills, fruity! 

7 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

i have only gone to shops twice in the last week - once to PO in Edeka and once to bakery this morning.

Hardly anyone there.  PO was at roughly 9 am and bakery at 8:30

Yeah, I just nipped to ALDI Brussels ;) and it was quiet at 15:30 hrs. I held my breath for the whole 10 minutes I was in there. I looked like a beetroot when I walked out. 

4 minutes ago, cybil said:

I am hoping that my McD co-workers that can trasfer and work at an Aldi get to stock shelves AFTER HOURS. I worry about the customers harassing/harming them if they have to stock during usual open hours. Not that we didn't get harrassed working at McD or anything but there was rarely a violent customer (those got Hausverbot). Will grocery stores also have the right to impose a Hausverbot on violent customers?

Last week, I was at the checkout in a well known store. The queue was held up by some bloke doing something non standard. Some other woman came over and I assume she was the supervisor. I had my headphones on so missed the entire convo. But what I think happened was, the bloke in front of me had bought the staff a box of Merci chocolates, you know the cheap shit, to say thankyou and the checkout lady had to get the boss to OK it. Took 5 minutes!!!! There's me trying to hold my breath cos the checkout lady looked riddled with Corona! 

But it was a really nice touch from the bloke!