Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,391 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I talked to a friend yesterday.  His daughter is a physiotherapist and her work is now closed.  She's currently taking time off for overtime but has been told that she will have to go help out at the hospital because all medically trained people should be helping out.  She's about 3 months pregnant though so she's not feeling very ok with it.  She asked about it and they are not making exceptions.

In that case, she should threaten them with suing them for manslaughter or whatever - and just-don't-go.

I don't have any doubts that any humans right in their minds will agree.

A Korean friend of ours should have returned there because she would have lost her working place (she's a teacher), leaving her (Korean!) husband behind in Munich.

Now, she's allowed to stay because she's pregnant and it would be too dangerous for her to return to South Korea.

1 minute ago, Sannerl said:

In that case, she should threaten them with suing them for manslaughter or whatever - and just-don't-go.

A Korean friend of ours should have returned there because she would have lost her working place (she's a teacher), leaving her (Korean!) husband behind in Munich.

Now, she's allowed to stay because she's pregnant and it would be too dangerous for her to return to South Korea.

I thought I'd read somewhere that pregnant women were high risk but looking for it now, I only found data saying that there is no indication that pregnant women are high risk if they get it.

She did protest a bit anyway, I guess to some doctor at the hospital, and was told by him that he couldn't get her out of it and that she need to see his boss.  She did that and was told that there are no exceptions.

13 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I thought I'd read somewhere that pregnant women were high risk but looking for it now, I only found data saying that there is no indication that pregnant women are high risk if they get it.

She did protest a bit anyway, I guess to some doctor at the hospital, and was told by him that he couldn't get her out of it and that she need to see his boss.  She did that and was told that there are no exceptions.

13 minutes ago, LeonG said:

Inhuman. Like telling female physicians to put their uterus on the table to get a job. - No joke; that happened only a few decades ago...

In her case, she should refuse no matter what in her case imo. But with Beugehaft  - and high risks - shit. Interesting times, indeed.

Maybe she can get her doc to write her out of work. Or ask a lawyer what she can do.

If she gets infected and has a bad case it would be killing two people if she and the baby succumbed.

For example, they never let pregnant women work in the hot areas at a nuclear facility. At least they didn't many years ago when I worked at one. We had to tell them immediately if we even thought we were pregnant.

25 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Maybe she can get her doc to write her out of work. Or ask a lawyer what she can do.

If she gets infected and has a bad case it would be killing two people if she and the baby succumbed.

For example, they never let pregnant women work in the hot areas at a nuclear facility. At least they didn't many years ago when I worked at one. We had to tell them immediately if we even thought we were pregnant.

Indeed. It's been decades since I had my kids but doesn't Mutterschutz cover pregnancy, meaning you can't work in certain high risk jobs? (Off to check right now.)

ETA: Done:  

Das MuSchG wurde bis zu seiner Neufassung 2018 ergänzt durch die Verordnung zum Schutze der Mütter am Arbeitsplatz (MuSchArbV)[10] zur Umsetzung der europäischen Mutterschutzrichtlinie von 1992. Sie verpflichtet den Arbeitgeber, für „jede Tätigkeit, bei der werdende oder stillende Mütter durch die chemischen Gefahrstoffe, biologischen Arbeitsstoffe, physikalischen Schadfaktoren, die Verfahren oder Arbeitsbedingungen nach Anlage 1 dieser Verordnung gefährdet werden können, Art, Ausmaß und Dauer der Gefährdung (zu) beurteilen. Die Pflichten nach dem Arbeitsschutzgesetz bleiben unberührt. Zweck der Beurteilung ist es, alle Gefahren für die Sicherheit und Gesundheit sowie alle Auswirkungen auf Schwangerschaft oder Stillzeit der betroffenen Arbeitnehmerinnen abzuschätzen und die zu ergreifenden Schutzmaßnahmen zu bestimmen.“ Diese Schutzmaßnahmen gehen häufig über die des allgemeinen Arbeitsschutzes hinaus, weil die Gesundheitsrisiken sowohl für die Mutter als auch für das Ungeborene berücksichtigt werden müssen. Beschäftigungsverbote, irreführend als Mutterschaftsurlaub bezeichnet, sind möglich.

She wanted to create a meme, instead she created a business

Silke Heimsoth, owner of an erotica shop called "Pussy Pleasure", posted a picture of a car with the caption "Dildo taxi". She (allegedly) received many actual phone calls in response and sparked coverage by local media, so has now started a home delivery service for sex toys and lube. But only for the high-priced stuff - she specifically says she's not going to fire up the car for a €4.90 pack of condoms.

Read more on Farcebook

A bit of a sad scene from my window: the apartment block opposite, stairs leading up to the front door. An older couple, 70s-80s, and another man, also older, standing at the top of the stairs. Visited by a young woman with 3 or 4 kids, she standing at the bottom of the stairs,  the kids running about but not going up to the old couple. Obviously, a grandparents/Mother's Day meeting in the time of CV. (It's Mother's Day here). The woman stood there at least half an hour chatting with the old folks; then they went inside and she went up and left something outside their door. I suppose it was actually a happy scene.

2 hours ago, Sannerl said:

It depends. What about the health professionals who themselves are high risk? If the older asthmatic health care worker who is definitely in the high risk group is expected to turn up for work, why should a pregnant women automatically be exempt? 

The determination of whether or not a pregnant woman should receive a Beschäftigungungsverbot is the responsibility of the Betriebsarzt not unqualified posters on the internet.

Your suggestion of suing for manslaughter is just ridiculous. 

As I said in my post above, I'm pretty certain she is protected through the Mutterschutzgesetz. She should consult a lawyer. 

Google translate (sorry): 

It obliges the employer to “for every activity in which expectant or breastfeeding mothers can be endangered by the chemical hazardous substances, biological agents, physical harmful factors, the procedures or working conditions according to Appendix 1 of this Ordinance, type, extent and duration of the endangerment (to) judge. The obligations under the Occupational Health and Safety Act remain unaffected. The purpose of the assessment is to assess all health and safety hazards as well as all effects on pregnancy or lactation of the workers concerned and to determine the protective measures to be taken. ”These protective measures often go beyond those of general occupational safety and health because the health risks for both Mother as well as for the unborn must be considered. Employment bans, misleadingly called maternity leave, are possible.

6 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

As I said in my post above, I'm pretty certain she is protected through the Mutterschutzgesetz. She should consult a lawyer. 

No, she should first consult a Betriebsarzt.

BTW, I'm familiar with the original German text and don't need Google translate. 

7 minutes ago, engelchen said:

No, she should first consult a Betriebsarzt.

BTW, I'm familiar with the original German text and don't need Google translate. 

I know you know German, Engelchen; I did the translation for the many TTers who don't. I should have added it the first time! 

"Meanwhile, burglars are complaining that they are put out of business since everbody stays at home."

4 hours ago, kiplette said:

...it is also a great chance to scoff stuff which has been lurking in the back of the pantry - obviously I secretly sieve out the moths and maggots first...:ph34r:

What a waste of protein...

;)

just a thought for us all perhaps?!  ...

I am being mindful of my wonderful cleaning team ( a sweet couple)  who come to my home every fortnight and clean my home. Right now that is not so good for various reason  due to the social distancing and being mindful of vulnerable peoples in my life but I know they will suffer if they dont have work so I just wrote them to say I pay it forward for them for the next month at least and that I take on my cleaning (golly gosh I am able to do that even though my own work load is more rather than less at present!) and they were so grateful that it totally uplifted my afternoon too!

Just thought to share in case you have something similar to activate ... :D

@kirakay Agreed. I got in touch with our hairdresser and a few other vendors and told them the same thing. We're going to need them later anyway.

My sister is also paying her cleaner weekly even though she isn't coming. Not sure what to do about mine yet. He comes bi-weekly.

I should call my hairdresser and get her Paypal address, too.

ETA My musician neighbors are on the balcony playing the clarinet and French horn. So nice!

There's a cleaner here for my expensive "short term" (getting longer all the time) "spoon ready" Wohnung. The Vermieterin said she'd cancel the cleaning, but the cleaner knocked on the door anyway the other day and I decided it'd be better not to. I tried to ask her if she was losing money, but her German was obviously even worse than mine and she just said "corona" and disappeared. I'd hate to think she isn't being paid when she earns far less than me.

But, serious question, is it illegal from a tax point of view to give someone like that some cash?

Just now, Dembo said:

There's a cleaner here for my expensive "short term" (getting longer all the time) "spoon ready" Wohnung. The Vermieterin said she'd cancel the cleaning, but the cleaner knocked on the door anywhere the other day and I decided it'd be better not to. I tried to ask her if she was losing money, but her German was obviously even worse than mine and she just said "corona" and disappeared. I'd hate to think she isn't being paid when she earns far less than me (and judging by the Porsches in the Tiefgarage I'm the poorest tennant).

But, serious question, is it illegal from a tax point of view to give someone like that some cash?

No. You can give any one person €10k in any calendar year as a gift.