Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

2,389 posts in this topic

Oh dear. Well-intentioned, but such a bad idea! An Post is going to give out postcards for people to send to loved ones all over Ireland; they will be popped into out postboxes soon.
Bad, bad idea. Not only could the cards help spread the virus, as it can survive on surfaces; the post deliverers have extra work and extra exposure.

https://twitter.com/Postvox/status/1241274859704942593

2 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I just came back from a small shopping trip for a few items at SuperValu, the best supermarket in town. There were fewer customers and many wore gloves, as did I. Signs up to keep a 2 metre distance, and no cash accepted. Everyone was obeying the rules.

The toilet paper aisle was packed full of tp etc, and no customers were there at the time. Lots of everything else.

(Again: just reporting, not gloating!)

When can we all come live with you? Oh right, when we can travel.

3 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I

The toilet paper aisle was packed full of tp etc, and no customers were there at the time. Lots of everything else.

(Again: just reporting, not gloating!)

Yeah, no - it may be reporting, but it doesn't help.

8 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Yeah, no - it may be reporting, but it doesn't help.

It's not a matter of helping or not. I began my working life as a journalist -- we are always supposed to give the other side of a story, however uncomfortable. If every single TTer reports about panic buying, empty shelves and no T-paper  that becomes the story. A distorted story.

However, if it upsets people I won't say anything more. 

My local chapter of nebenan.de just started a thread reporting where to get currently hard to find stuff. Very helpful. :)

14 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

It's not a matter of helping or not. I began my working life as a journalist -- we are always supposed to give the other side of a story, however uncomfortable. If every single TTer reports about panic buying, empty shelves and no T-paper  that becomes the story. A distorted story.

It's not upsetting people, only the one guy. Carry on.

33 minutes ago, arunadasi said:

It's not a matter of helping or not. I began my working life as a journalist

I wish you lived near me. I began to prep 5 weeks ago when I heard about Cv. I got myself injected against the flu virii this year, then quietly bought a bag of flour here,  a bag of TP there. My priority when it hit 3 weeks ago when noone cared was my dog - I stocked up tins and tins of dog food and pee pads for her. Even then noone listened. I even went to my caravan and fetched a paraffin lamp. I own a 100 year old lamp which may see use again - it was used in 1973 in the oil crisis. Gas bottles also. I have had a permaculture garden for events like this ten years, even setting up a new winter hotbed project for the winter eras.

And they all laughed at me as a "prepper"!

TP is also difficult to get here in the UK because of panic buying. I haven't seen any in the shops for 3 weeks and I'm currently 1 of 12 weeks in on self-isolation.

I would normally buy 3 months worth at a time for my family and luckily topped just before it all kicked off.

Another alternative for those who can't get TP is to cut up an old towel and use it as "family cloths".. dampen the cloth, use it and then wash, but to be sure to wash them separately to your normal wash and on a high temp. No different to using cloth nappies for babies or cloth menstrual pads for ladies.

Out of curiosity, did you say *12* weeks of self-isolation? Is there a medical reason?

1 minute ago, Metall said:

Out of curiosity, did you say *12* weeks of self-isolation? Is there a medical reason?

Yes, I have Asthma which makes me high risk with CV.  I've had pneumonia and bronchitis before and I know how difficult that was and CV is meant to be a completely different ball game so I'm doing as the Government here advised and not taking any risks.

2 hours ago, fraufruit said:

It's not upsetting people, only the one guy. Carry on.

Not upset, but a bit exasperated.  One of my former classmates is the head of the Analytics group at a major US consumer products company in the US that makes paper goods and bathroom items, such as TP, soap, and the like.

He sent out a note today after receiving numerous panicky inquiries from people he knows, including other former classmates.  Here is his note:

There is no shortage of toilet paper or soap.  We are at 160% of normal production right now.  Supply chain is solid.  We have no distribution failures. We do not see any chance that this situation will change in the near future.  The fact is that people are buying our products in unprecedented amounts.  The current model I am looking at predicts we will make $3 Billion in profits this year, in  an industry that is normaily looking at 2-3% profit per year.   We are simply seeing a ridiculous run on what we produce.  Our stockholders are loving it."

---------

So, knowing that this is pure panic-buying, and that there isn't really a world-wide shortage is helpful.  But - DE is just as wrapped up in the panic-buying as the US, and knowing that there are things such at TP and soap available in other markets doesn't improve our situation, because the knowledge doesn't change what we are going through here.  It won't stop the hamstering.

That is why I am exasperated, and why I find reports of stocked stores outside of Germany unhelpful.  It was already clear the "shortage" is artificially created.

Remember in high school, when you told your math teacher that you know for sure you'd never again refer to an algorithm once you'd graduated?
Who knew?

5e76c5f16d285_Coronavirusalgorithm.jpg.b

My cat is acting really restless and also bored. He's an indoor and outdoor guy in our now incredibly quiet small village.

Two days ago I spied him looking in the low front window of a house down the street and saw inside was one of his love/hate cat buddies, sleeping all cozy in a cardboard box. They would compete for turf and chase one another if not also fight one another and pee-mark one another's outdoor boundaries. Now my cat just goes in/out the cat flap a zillion times a day, is constantly scratching on cupboard doors, windows to go in/out as well. I have tried to get him to play but he's not too into it.

I have the impression people haven't heard the news: cats and dogs don't transmit COVID-19. Maybe the locals are concerned someone will do their pets allowed outside harm. The thought that someone might kick my cat to keep it at a distance has crossed my mind. He is very social and loves to schmooze with strangers. Maybe that's what's happening and why he is so aggitated. Lots of speculation here. So I keep picking him up and holding him now and then and that seems to be what he likes the best. Being close and feeling secure. :) 

10 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

He sent out a note today after receiving numerous panicky inquiries from people he knows, including other former classmates.  Here is his note:

There is no shortage of toilet paper or soap.  We are at 160% of normal production right now.  Supply chain is solid.  We have no distribution failures. We do not see any chance that this situation will change in the near future.  The fact is that people are buying our products in unprecedented amounts.  The current model I am looking at predicts we will make $3 Billion in profits this year, in  an industry that is normaily looking at 2-3% profit per year.   We are simply seeing a ridiculous run on what we produce.  Our stockholders are loving it."

---------

Sure they are making a lot of money right now but at some point, they will not be selling anything at all because everybody will have stocked up and will be using up their supplies.  The virus is making ppl stock up but it's not making ppl use more.

13 hours ago, arunadasi said:

I find it calming to see that normality has returned to some places, and compared to the picture my son sent of his local Lidl, which looks as though hordes of raging barbarians have been through, aside of bog roll, flour, sanitiser and bread, things are not bad here.

My kids find it hilarious - as I leave to try and 'score' whatever we didn't have - like a live version of Fallout or whatever...it is also a great chance to scoff stuff which has been lurking in the back of the pantry - obviously I secretly sieve out the moths and maggots first...:ph34r:

19 minutes ago, cybil said:

My cat is acting really restless and also bored. He's an indoor and outdoor guy in our now incredibly quiet small village.

Two days ago I spied him looking in the low front window of a house down the street and saw inside was one of his love/hate cat buddies, sleeping all cozy in a cardboard box. They would compete for turf and chase one another if not also fight one another and pee-mark one another's outdoor boundaries. Now my cat just goes in/out the cat flap a zillion times a day, is constantly scratching on cupboard doors, windows to go in/out as well. I have tried to get him to play but he's not too into it.

I have the impression people haven't heard the news: cats and dogs don't transmit COVID-19. Maybe the locals are concerned someone will do their pets allowed outside harm. The thought that someone might kick my cat to keep it at a distance has crossed my mind. He is very social and loves to schmooze with strangers. Maybe that's what's happening and why he is so aggitated. Lots of speculation here. So I keep picking him up and holding him now and then and that seems to be what he likes the best. Being close and feeling secure. :) 

Maybe it's the spring. Lot's of bird activity outside and another thing is, that there is probably a lot of cat activity, too. Intact toms roaming far and wide looking for females to mate with and invading other cats territories they didn't before causing restlessness with the resident cats. In ca. 2 months time there will be a lot of kittens.

I notice more older folk outside than usual here. Walking like ducks at a proper 2 metre distance. At last, they came outta the moth balls. Go seniors!

White supremacists discussed plans to weaponize coronavirus via “saliva,” a “spray bottle” or “laced items,” according to a weekly intelligence brief distributed by a federal law enforcement division on Feb. 17. 

Federal investigators appeared to be monitoring the white nationalists’ communications on Telegram, an encrypted messaging app that has become popular with neo-Nazis. In the conversations, the white supremacists suggested targeting law enforcement agents and “nonwhite” people with attacks designed to infect them with the coronavirus. 

the rest

I talked to a friend yesterday.  His daughter is a physiotherapist and her work is now closed.  She's currently taking time off for overtime but has been told that she will have to go help out at the hospital because all medically trained people should be helping out.  She's about 3 months pregnant though so she's not feeling very ok with it.  She asked about it and they are not making exceptions.