Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

3,840 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

someone please tell me I am not the only absolute paranoid ass to take a disinfectant wipe to the groceries upon getting home.  Not everything, mind, just things I think might have been touched by a lot of people.

Wish we had disinfectant wipes. Sold out around us. We were late to the game after being away.

Having said that, I wash a lot of fruits and veg with soap and water and always have done. When the pickers take a dump in the fields, I'm pretty sure they have no running water or soap to wash their hands afterwards. Once someone put that idea in my head, I got serious with washing everything. Also, my maid in Singapore washed everything with soap and water, even meat, after a trip to the wet market. We never got sick.

I've always stood back and let other people open the doors in the public transport as well. :)

I was the only person in my pharmacy a while ago. One more came in while I was being served.

What I find funny is hearing people talk about how difficult is it to teach their littles how to wash their hands properly. You'd think they never did it before now.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LISA!!!!!

24 minutes ago, HEM said:

Feeling fed-up:  I'd been looking forwarded for almost 6 months to my week's vacation on Mallorca due to start today.

Was to have comprised daily tours to various noteworthy places on the island & to include a trip with the railway to Solier.

I'd have gone but two nagging females at home saying "you should cancel" & the probably good chance of a total shutdown in Europe during the coming week thus leaving me stranded "forced" my to cancel yesterday at great expense.

First World problem...:(:(

Your females are right though ;).  My cousin recently moved to Soller...sounds wonderful. You’ll get there another, better time.  

44 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

someone please tell me I am not the only absolute paranoid ass to take a disinfectant wipe to the groceries upon getting home.  Not everything, mind, just things I think might have been touched by a lot of people.

well, I don't but ONLY because I have been grabbing packs from as far back as I can reach.  And I've been putting non-perishables in "quarantine" (doubles as simple storage of course) in the kellar.

eta: I'm over my cold so feeling pretty good, no line for the washing and THANK YOU ALL for the birthday wishes!!!

could be worse ;) 

Took public transport today, some guy sneezed. Immediately people starting shouting at him.

Seems people are on edge.

Well, my kids are home. I dug out solar chargers for mobiles. I own paraffin lamps and extra paraffin, candles. I've fetched all gas bottles out of my caravan and spoke with a camping shop in case I need refills. I have water plus water containers. I put out rain barrels to catch water just in case I need it. 

Any of you have access to gardens, buy some seeds. 

We just stayed in Soller for 10 days. Excellent restaurants, gardens to go see, ocean views, etc. The Sat. market was wonderful. It won't go anywhere HEM.

17 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

well, I don't but ONLY because I have been grabbing packs from as far back as I can reach.  And I've been putting non-perishables in "quarantine" (doubles as simple storage of course) in the kellar.

I have long considered the first of anything on a shelf to automatically have cooties, even in the absence of global pandemics, but of course my brain reminded me that I too had touched the packages, both during shopping and after paying.  Today I was especially diligent, having been at the apotheke.  So shoes and jacket came off, then hands washed, then clothes changed, then groceries unpacked and selected wiped, then hands washed again.

I am always pretty serious about washing my hands first thing after walking in the door since I've usually touched money and door handles and I often think about my own previously dirty hands while unpacking groceries but don't usually go to the apotheke before grocery shopping... during coronavirus.

Hoping my own brain doesn't wind up making me more uncomfortable than a virus would.

19 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Well, my kids are home. I dug out solar chargers for mobiles. I own paraffin lamps and extra paraffin, candles. I've fetched all gas bottles out of my caravan and spoke with a camping shop in case I need refills. I have water plus water containers. I put out rain barrels to catch water just in case I need it. 

FB contacts in the US reported all gas stations in one area to be out of gas.  70s energy crisis style.  I can kind of understanding panic buying stuff you think won't be available, or in the event shops will close or you can't leave the house for whatever reason, but... candles?  Fresh water?  What are you preparing for?  Why would the energy supply be interrupted? It's not ebola, for christssake

I feel like I should do those things lately but I don't.  I do the shoes and jacket as always, wash as usual, and that's it.

though I have to admit I did wash again after unpacking yesterday as I'd been to Aldi (oh yes I am one of those snobs - but to be fair I encountered more than one who sounded like there's a swamp where the lungs should be during my visit ;))  I don't change my clothes unless I'm going back into jammie mode.

8 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Hoping my own brain doesn't wind up making me more uncomfortable than a virus would.

for that reason mostly.  

2 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

FB contacts in the US reported all gas stations in one area to be out of gas.  70s energy crisis style.  I can kind of understanding panic buying stuff you think won't be available, or in the event shops will close or you can't leave the house for whatever reason, but... candles?  Fresh water?  What are you preparing for?  Why would the energy supply be interrupted? It's not ebola, for christssake

He just wants to let us know that he's a crazy prepper, too - not just a crazy Obama-is-a-Muslim, Michelle-is-a-man, Hillary-is-the-devil, Trump-is-the-savior insane person.

Zombie Apocalypse perhaps.

I've always been a back of the shelf shopper and I'm just tall enough to do it almost everywhere. The stuff in the back is always fresher. This is also true for makeup like mascara, lipstick, etc. That is why they put it in those dispensers that make it very difficult to take the one from the top. 

I forgot to mention that when I was out today, I saw two kids together on bicycles each with a 10 pack of toilet paper over each handlebar. Mama sent them out for 40 rolls. I wonder how much they already have at home???

5 minutes ago, oscar 63 said:

can someone combine this with the other corona thread? 

No, don't do that! It's all doom and gloom in that other thread.

54 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

:lol::lol:

My local NP was completely out of toilet paper two days ago and last night I was at Netto and they only had a few 2-roll packs left.  Both are also mostly sold out of flour and sugar.

1 hour ago, oscar 63 said:

can someone combine this with the other corona thread? 

We could start a " what has corona ever done for us " thread?

:lol: