Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,101 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kiplette said:

'The whole thing was typed up by my aunt' :lol:

She was a secretary in a hospital in the Manchester area.  Typewriters were the only thing available in those days.

I typed my first husband's PhD dissertation in 1962, something to do with titanium. I can't believe I was able to read his scratchy writing, and I can't believe his committee could read the dissertation, typed on a fading ribbon pre-White Out and with erasures.

8 hours ago, Keleth said:

Jonnys done the usual thing that his type does,has no answer so disappears.

He #Doesn'tReadEveryPost 

19 minutes ago, katheliz said:

I typed my first husband's PhD dissertation in 1962, something to do with titanium. I can't believe I was able to read his scratchy writing, and I can't believe his committee could read the dissertation, typed on a fading ribbon pre-White Out and with erasures.

I typed my MA dissertation in the mid-80s on an old typewriter in London and took the pages with me to Spain to the beach to reread. 
Can’t remember the name of the common storm in the South- el Levante? Anyway, I got distracted, left the pages on the beach, went away for a drink , came back and my dissertation had blown away!😂

Rewrote ( trying to read the carbon copies back in London ) and delivered to my Professor at his home before the midday deadline.

I was nervous. I was given a cup of coffee and spilt it over the cover page!

He kindly made a photocopy of a page I SHOULD have included ( but had forgotten ) and Bob’s your uncle!

😂

Oh, this is the corona thread! As far as I know, I haven’t got it!!

On 4/27/2021, 11:17:26, Krieg said:

In our workplace the guy who is the sportiest got it the worst.  My Johnclusion is that sports kill.  Hey, I am just sharing my research.

Please urge your Betriebsrat to supply donuts to the employees and recommend BMI tests to flag the people who are too fit.

😎

On 4/26/2021, 10:49:06, Keleth said:

Hmm

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4499202/

Over 50% of Germans have vitamin D deficiency as well.

That their fault as well ?

That's from 2015 and you did not read the study obviously.

😎

5 minutes ago, john g. said:

went away for a drink , came back and my dissertation had blown away

Worst excuse ever.  😂

If you were writing a thesis now, based on your interests, one of many dogs eating your homework would actually be believable.   😉

Just remembered the title of my dissertation ( maybe still stored and coffee-stained somewhere in an archival tomb at UCL in London ):

Shit, just forgotten it..😂

Wait, take a deep breath, John...

Erm, erm ..l

Ah, “ Legal aspects of detente in Central America under the auspices of the Contadora Group “ (I think.. quick google )

Yes, correct spelling of Contadora Group!

Bloody long time ago😂

Updating my dissertation!😂

” legal aspects of animal protection in Greece under the auspices of the corona group “ ( trying to stay on thread/topic!! ) ( or something like that !!)..

Ouzo-stained rather than coffee-stained!!

On 27/04/2021, 11:21:07, AlexTr said:

Priceless.

Now, about that "research"...

Elisa Sylva is a freelance writer according to her website.   

Follow the science please.   😎  

Screenshot 2021-04-30 at 07.42.01.png

21 hours ago, Keleth said:

Jonnys done the usual thing that his type does,has no answer so disappears.

Yup, got a life and now don't have time to discuss alternative views with people with closed minds.:P

NHS privatisation and PPE procurement scandal: a good day for the challengers as Hancock loses in court. Again.

29/04/2021

EveryDoctor is a doctor-led campaigning organisation fighting for a better NHS for every doctor and every patient. They are currently taking the government to court over the PPE procurement scandal which, quite apart from the issue of the money involved, had lethal consequences for healthcare employees forced to work without adequate protection.

Today they were in court alongside the Good Law Project for a hearing over Matt Hancock’s refusal to provide what they believe is critical evidence on their PPE procurement challenges. They won. The Government must provide the requested information and pay their costs.

💥Judgment is in.

Government was ordered to provide further information – including Ministerial instructions in relation to the VIP Lane – and to pay our costs of the application. https://t.co/qAql1oUoKY

Just wondering why a European Immunization Week poster uses American English spelling. A result of Brexit ??

It's the default setting in the software, probably.  Constantly changing it in text messages.

My devices ask which English to use, 🇬🇧 🇺🇸 🇦🇺...  It feels like they sometimes switch without asking me too.  Why did Trash suddenly change to Bin?  Or the Text predictor tells me Flavor is wrong , ...  😂  Luxury Problems.

On 4/30/2021, 8:56:08, Jonny said:

Yup, got a life and now don't have time to discuss alternative views with people with closed minds.:P

#byefelicia

36 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

American English is more common.

(Do you see what I did there?)

Oxymoron?

(g, d&r)