Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,114 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Jonny said:

Or maybe... And I can only speculate... It might have something to do with the fact that many Indians are lacking a major vitamin that's required for a healthy immune system...

Or maybe when the facts don't fit your opinions and predictions then you can always blame the victims, it is their fault for being poor or fat or not exercising and getting enough sun/vitamin D, bla bla bla. You'll be telling us next that the corona virus is a punishment from God and that anyone who catches it must be a sinner.:o

It is all God's will
The suffering - despair and pain
Pray - and you will be heard
even if not redeemed
I'm simply sick of it
Period

But hey , haven't you heard

Fingernail-chewing is the way out

Alles wird gut

10 hours ago, Keleth said:

That their fault as well ?

It's not their fault. 

9 hours ago, keith2011 said:

you can always blame the victims

I'm not blaming the victims.

I'm looking for an alternative reason why some people are affected. The UK and US are having an epidemic of obesity - making their immune systems unhealthy and hence they become prone to disease. You could argue it's not their fault but the giant corporations who make the food with additives etc. 

As for the vitamin D thing, most people don't have a clue it's necessary for a healthy immune system. I'm just sharing some info that I found. 

11 minutes ago, Jonny said:

The UK and US are having an epidemic of obesity - making their immune systems unhealthy and hence they become prone to disease

Or it could be because of their response to the original outbreak ?

Because funnily enough those countries thought they would have it under control.We had the US President denying the disease,we had the UK PM meeting Corona patients and shaking their hands and we had both of them refusing at first to believe it would be any sort of problem to bring it under control.

13 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I'm just sharing some info that I found. 

You keep repeating that this disease only affects not even 1%.You go down the path that maybe in India it is because of lack of Vitamin D.

You´re then shown that over 50% of Germans have a vitamin D deficiency.

So that rules out that idea.

Now lets look at how Germany reacted to the outbreak and compare it to how India reacted and maybe you will find a clue there,but I`ll let you try and work it out for yourself.

Please though don´t come back with the Sweden example as that´s already shown to be bollocks.

28 minutes ago, Jonny said:

I'm looking for an alternative reason why some people are affected.

Well sort of but you already know what you want the answer to be so you´re looking at it with heavy bias,but you also say it affects less than 1% so one of your ideas is wrong.

You admit you don´t know why some are affected and some not,yet despite knowing this you are crying out for people to return to normal thus exposing those same people to a disease that even you yourself admit we don´t know how it is going to affect them.

At least you don´t spout your views and pretend it´s because you´re worried about the economy,peoples mental health etc,i´ll give you that much.

Basically you want people to be lab rats so that you can go to the pub.

We´ve had 4 people at work who have had corona that I actually know (17 cases in total but I don´t know the others so won´t comment on them)

1 of them is overweight (about 130kg) he lost his sense of taste and smell which he still doesn´t have back 6 weeks later,and that was all.

1 of them is "normal" and he said he was just totally exhausted for about 6 days and could hardly get out of bed.

1 of them is fit and he suffered the worst,he says the joint pain was incredible and his head hurt so much that tears came (apparently he had the Kent variant)

1 of them had a bit of everything,like the flu,bit of joint pain etc.

It seems to be a disease that apart from in the really sick and elderly affects people in no standard way.

In our workplace the guy who is the sportiest got it the worst.  My Johnclusion is that sports kill.  Hey, I am just sharing my research.

1 minute ago, Krieg said:

My Johnclusion

Priceless.

Now, about that "research"...

On 4/27/2021, 9:35:37, Keleth said:

We´ve had 4 people at work who have had corona that I actually know (17 cases in total but I don´t know the others so won´t comment on them)

1 of them is overweight (about 130kg) he lost his sense of taste and smell which he still doesn´t have back 6 weeks later,and that was all.

1 of them is "normal" and he said he was just totally exhausted for about 6 days and could hardly get out of bed.

1 of them is fit and he suffered the worst,he says the joint pain was incredible and his head hurt so much that tears came (apparently he had the Kent variant)

1 of them had a bit of everything,like the flu,bit of joint pain etc.

It seems to be a disease that apart from in the really sick and elderly affects people in no standard way.

From the people I know,  an 80 year old who had no symptoms, an 70 year old slipped in to a coma and died, various between 30 and 60 just had either flu symptoms or just taste/small gone for a while, 30 year old died, 50 year old had to be put on a ventilator (he was about the most physically fit of them all).

Seems like playing roulette to me. Only we don't know the rules.

7 minutes ago, cb6dba said:

Seems like playing roulette to me. Only we don't know the rules.

Place your bets and spin the wheel. Don't bet more than you can afford to lose.

There you go.

On 27.4.2021, 11:21:07, AlexTr said:

Now, about that "research"...

So tell me about your research...

What University did you study at: Manchester University, Department of Computer Science

Who was your supervisor:  Dr. Hilary Kahn (RIP)

How long was your thesis: Dunno - this was in the days before text processing & the whole thing was typed up by my aunt.

How many sources did you use: Not many, 1973-75 was a bit at the forefront of Computer Science & CACD

What grade did you receive:  MSc awarded.  You either got it or you didn't.

TBH although my 3rd year undergraduate project was a big success my MSc research wasn't so & I left & joined the Physics Department which a few years later started bringing me to the DESY lab in Hamburg...