Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,367 posts in this topic

On 21/04/2021, 16:28:06, dessa_dangerous said:

 

OMG and while I am often considerably less "wokey" than many of my peers, I have to say that this statement is so nauseatingly ablelist that it's hard to know where to begin!

 

 

If you use the word "ableist" for something like this, then you are woke.   :rolleyes:   Keep it real.  

 

Quote

First, don't tell me at 50 that you're of "hardy stock."  Tell me that at 95.

...

Lots of people come from decidedly sickly stock, and it is a blessing of the age of enlightenment that we treat these people also as humans with the right to live, and don't drown them in the river at birth.

 

This "hardy stock" shit has irritated me on more than one occasion. 

 

The "hardy stock" remark is a bit too folksy for me, but it also is an indication that those people prefer to manage their own health, which is a great idea.    There is a sentiment which permeates Toytown that health is just basically a lottery and personal choices are inconsequential and that does not follow science. 

 

I get weary listening to all the reasons why people my age cannot find 30 minutes a day to go outside for some sunshine, fresh air, and a brisk walk when they spend hours in the evening glued to their phones, watching Netflix or Amazon Prime or "contributing" to Toytown Germany.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

 

Perhaps you missed the part about my compromised immune system.

 

Did i misunderstand that in March, 2020, you decided not to cancel a vacation to Spain despite the pretty scary headlines?

 

Did i misunderstand that you went to Slovenia to sail over the summer even though the situation there was not 100% clear?

 

Manage your health and your risks as needed, but keep it real.    🤡

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

 

There are people on this board who do that, too: they claim that everyone who succumbs to Covid-19 must have had underlying conditions, like obesity, old age, not getting enough fresh air, or not being relaxed enough. It's the "hardy stock" argument with more than a touch of victim-blaming.

 

These are bad people.

 

I am not sure if your narrative is more like the Medieval Church or like the Beltway response to anyone who questioned the basis to invade Iraq in 2003.  

 

The science clearly shows the correlation between COVID-19 vulnerability and transmission potential with obesity.   

 

You seem to be an obesity-denier.   🤡

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RajeshG said:

My mother, my sister and her husband, my niece, my friends, their families are all down with Corona.

 

That's truly horrible.

 

My absolutely best wishes for all of them and you as you worry for them. Awful. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RajeshG said:

I feel all corona deniers should be made to do volunteer work in the hospitals to get a first hand experience of people gasping for air.
 

God, yes!

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, balticus said:

I get weary listening to all the reasons why people my age cannot find 30 minutes a day to go outside for some sunshine, fresh air, and a brisk walk when they spend hours in the evening glued to their phones, watching Netflix or Amazon Prime or "contributing" to Toytown Germany.

 

Well said. Eat healthy, put down your phones, stop "contributing" to Toytown Germany and get your arses outside for some exercise. Now that we're coming into summer you can get yourself some free and natural vitamin D and reduce your chances of getting severe covid symptoms  - and all without medical intervention. Win win !!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonny said:

 

Well said. Eat healthy, put down your phones, stop "contributing" to Toytown Germany and get your arses outside for some exercise. Now that we're coming into summer you can get yourself some free and natural vitamin D and reduce your chances of getting severe covid symptoms  - and all without medical intervention. Win win !!

People can always lead by example... :lol:

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonny said:

 

Well said. Eat healthy, put down your phones, stop "contributing" to Toytown Germany and get your arses outside for some exercise. Now that we're coming into summer you can get yourself some free and natural vitamin D and reduce your chances of getting severe covid symptoms  - and all without medical intervention. Win win !!

You can also reduce your chances by wearing a mask and keeping distance from people.

But like Balticus you probably believe that´s all bollocks too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Keleth said:

You can also reduce your chances by wearing a mask and keeping distance from people.

True -  but (and this isn't specifically for covid) there's too many people in this world that want to smoke, eat shit, do zero exercise and then expect to pop a pill to help them. Or in the case of covid, we know that obese people are FAR more likely to be affected. So if that's the case, they should really try to become a healthy weight instead of continuing with their unhealthy lifestyles and hope that a vaccine or a pill will fix it. And for those who smoke - give yourselves a better chance of surviving covid and just feckin stop. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

These #allesdichtmachen videos are hilarious. 

 

These actors are facing a severe backlash for participating.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jonny said:

True -  but (and this isn't specifically for covid) there's too many people in this world that want to smoke, eat shit, do zero exercise and then expect to pop a pill to help them. Or in the case of covid, we know that obese people are FAR more likely to be affected. So if that's the case, they should really try to become a healthy weight instead of continuing with their unhealthy lifestyles and hope that a vaccine or a pill will fix it.

 

Oh dear looks like Brazil and India have suddenly begun suffering severe outbreaks of unhealthy lifestyles.:wacko:

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a Polish guy in Iceland go home on holidays, come back and ignore his quarantine, then test positive for his covid and still continue to ignore his quarantine.  Due to him, infections came up in a day care as well as in an elementary school.  Over 100 families are in quarantine now because of him.  According to the news, they locked him up in their quarantine hotel since April 12.  He's still sick and is now trying to sue to be set free.  No remorse whatsoever.

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LeonG said:

We had a Polish guy in Iceland go home on holidays, come back and ignore his quarantine, then test positive for his covid and still continue to ignore his quarantine.  Due to him, infections came up in a day care as well as in an elementary school.  Over 100 families are in quarantine now because of him.  According to the news, they locked him up in their quarantine hotel since April 12.  He's still sick and is now trying to sue to be set free.  No remorse whatsoever.

 

WTF?!?? I don't understand how people can be self-centered! 

 

Does Iceland have laws making it possible to fine him heavily? Can they deport him and ban re-entry?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, engelchen said:

 

WTF?!?? I don't understand how people can be self-centered! 

 

Does Iceland have laws making it possible to fine him heavily? Can they deport him and ban re-entry?

 

They will probably fine him.  I don't know if they can deport him though.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can imagine it’ll be safer for him if he leaves the country. He will have made enough enemies by now...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now