Coronachat - vents, whines, flummoxes & miscellaneous

4,103 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Tap said:

In his opinion, masks don't work, tests aren't accurate and the vaccine is too new to be trusted.

I understand this stance - and I have had Covid, the long version and still not the same as before. And I was lucky.

As always there is a lack of nuance in those statements and they are probably then misinterpreted for good measure. Healthy scepticism is a good thing. The vaccine is not without risk nor does it provide a water-tight recipe for success. However, it is the best we've got. Bit like an unsatisfactory marriage :lol:

Anyone who thinks it ain't that bad should try having the bad version of Covid. They would subsequently eat their words for breakfast no doubt. But we are stupid human beings who think bad things only happen to other people. Maybe that should be on a personality test as a sign of how invincible we think we are. The guy in question obviously has a huge ego and is blinded by his own light. But I do see his point!

1 hour ago, bramble said:

It's the same in Brazil. I don't understand how Corona deniers can close their eyes and insist Corona is harmless or doesn't exist. These scenes should be shown on our TV screens several times daily. 

It´s the same with those who say open everything up,no masks etc and that only the vulnerable should stay home.They continuously tout Sweden as the way to copy (which isn´t doing well either) but forget to mention Brazil or India.

52 minutes ago, Tap said:

He could lose his job over this, and that's the part I don't understand.

We had a leiharbeiter at work the other week who was also a denier,wouldn´t wear a mask etc and was sent home and his firm informed.

According to his colleagues he is now no longer employed because that was the third time he was sent home from firms.

1 minute ago, Keleth said:

...only the vulnerable should stay home.

Unfortunately you only find out afterwards if you were vulnerable. There are no labels. I was certainly not a candidate with a likely profile. Until it happened. Then it's too late.

4 minutes ago, optimista said:

I understand this stance - and I have had Covid, the long version and still not the same as before. And I was lucky.

As always there is a lack of nuance in those statements and they are probably then misinterpreted for good measure. Healthy scepticism is a good thing. The vaccine is not without risk nor does it provide a water-tight recipe for success. However, it is the best we've got. Bit like an unsatisfactory marriage :lol:

Anyone who thinks it ain't that bad should try having the bad version of Covid. They would subsequently eat their words for breakfast no doubt. But we are stupid human beings who think bad things only happen to other people. Maybe that should be on a personality test as a sign of how invincible we think we are. The guy in question obviously has a huge ego and is blinded by his own light. But I do see his point!

I understand his basic stance too, that's why I was willing to discuss all of this with him. I like to hear other people's opinions before I make up my own mind, but we weren't getting anywhere and needed to stop because the discussions were getting a bit too heated.

Nobody in his circle has had bad Covid.  I have lost a cousin and a friend to it, but, as I said in my first post on this, he will put it down to an underlying illness or a bacterial infection picked up in hospital, or something else, but not just Covid.  I think there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way and until it touches them or their family, they will continue to pull against the restrictions.

14 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Now I have to decide whether to hang out with them or not this summer when/if we do get to go to our boat. Mind you, we always meet up outside in one cockpit or another or for outdoor dining. Problem is that my immune system is severely compromised. 

Surely if you get vaccinated then you'd be OK. Or am I missing something ? I thought that being vaccinated helps you fight the virus but doesn't stop you getting it. You get it and your body knows how to fight it so you fight it and it goes away eventually without too much distress on your part.  If they're not vaccinated, do they not have more to fear from you than you from them ?

Let time do its worst. He may yet learn more...:(

I'm sorry for your own experiences of loss, Tap.

17 hours ago, BethAnnBitt said:

I don’t believe that 🇺🇸 or 🇩🇪 or 🇨🇭will reach herd immunity.

And right now I am not so sure if the herd immunity is even possible.  There are cities in South America that are reaching 60% of infection according to their estimations.   And the daily infections do not go down, actually they are having again a bad wave at the moment.   If so many people were already infected why is that?  is it cycling again and reinfecting people?  Who knows.   Maybe vaccines are our only hope and there is still so many questions about them.

1 hour ago, Tap said:

I think there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way and until it touches them or their family, they will continue to pull against the restrictions.

Yes.  I know a couple of grownup people that refused for a long time to believe it existed at all.  Then a family member of mine got it, which I told them about, and naturally they didn't call me a liar to my face, but they didn't extend best wishes for her recovery, either.  Then they moved on to saying it's a bad cold and they are from "hardy stock" (that's so funny that BethAnn has heard those exact same words) and THEY don't need to worry about it so why does EVERYONE have to stay home?  Every time one of their claims is refuted beyond a shadow of a doubt, they find something else to whine about.  Sounds like a personality disorder to me.

42 minutes ago, Krieg said:

is it cycling again and reinfecting people?  Who knows.

Ehhh... we do kind of know that people can be reinfected.

2 hours ago, Tap said:

Nobody in his circle has had bad Covid.  I have lost a cousin and a friend to it, but, as I said in my first post on this, he will put it down to an underlying illness or a bacterial infection picked up in hospital, or something else, but not just Covid.  I think there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same way and until it touches them or their family, they will continue to pull against the restrictions.

There are people on this board who do that, too: they claim that everyone who succumbs to Covid-19 must have had underlying conditions, like obesity, old age, not getting enough fresh air, or not being relaxed enough. It's the "hardy stock" argument with more than a touch of victim-blaming.

These are bad people.

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

Surely if you get vaccinated then you'd be OK. Or am I missing something ? I thought that being vaccinated helps you fight the virus but doesn't stop you getting it. You get it and your body knows how to fight it so you fight it and it goes away eventually without too much distress on your part.  If they're not vaccinated, do they not have more to fear from you than you from them ?

Perhaps you missed the part about my compromised immune system.

45 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

I don't doubt people can be reinfected, but still does not explain why the number of daily infections in those places are still so high.  It is unlikely most of the new infections are reinfections.

And anyway, if data from Europe can't be really trusted 100% imagine the data from South America.  And you have to add the political interest in either show less or more infections according to the local politicians interest.

12 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

Perhaps you missed the part about my compromised immune system.

And that's the problem - even after a successful vaccination, a person's immune system might not be able to respond adequately to Covid in the case of a severe illness/treatment (chronic infection, TBC, cancer, chemo, HIV, having an organ transplant with immunosuppressants and many more come to mind).
Vaccines are good, but sadly not a silver bullet.

I never thought getting vaccinated would give anyone total immunity, flu shots don't, why should this. 

As I've said before, the virus is not visible enough, infectious enough or deadly enough for some people to take it seriously. It just isn't in their lives enough or to a point where they start to take it seriously.

If you came out in bright orange blotches that gave off a infectious dust, it was 100% infectious (you get touched by the dust, you infected) death rate is 90% or above and when you die, you explode - then almost everyone would be taking this seriously.

Should such a virus come along (stripping out the comedy description), pretty much everyone that didn't take his one seriously are going to be the first people to die. They will be the ones going out demonstrating, meeting up etc. maybe that is there role, such people are the early warning system for this kind of thing handed down to us by generations of evolution. 

moreover, in all their obstinacy, the deniers will have learned zilch, and this opportunity we have to wipe out things like the common cold will be lost.

Imagine that!  If everyone would really just wash their hands and keep away from others when they're ill, we could make flus and colds a thing of the past.  Although some will argue that you NEED to get sick sometimes in order to be strong.  I'm not a doctor and have no idea if that is actually true.

So yes, I've got a date for jab one and jab two now. 

"The best vaccine is the one you're offered"

But I now have a repetitive strain injury on both hands after mouse clicking for hours

on end (other hand pressing F5 to refresh the screen) to get that far on the

SH vaccine portal.

:blink:

some people moan just about all the time...

5 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Happened to my niece (a young Dr. at a London hospital).

And she had been vaccinated but only just before she fell ill the second time so the vaccination most likely had not had a chance to take effect.

3 hours ago, HH_Sailor said:

"The best vaccine is the one you're offered"

I would definately turn down an offer of the Chinese one & most probably Sputnik 5000.

Also don't have a really good feeling about AZ.  Unfortunately (depending how you interrpret it) the Danes have chucked their unwanted AZ over the fence.

Hopefully the BionTech vaccine that is now being produced in DE won't be sent to them in return.

3 hours ago, dessa_dangerous said:

moreover, in all their obstinacy, the deniers will have learned zilch, and this opportunity we have to wipe out things like the common cold will be lost.

They´ll just move on to the next "thing" and will learn nothing.

4 hours ago, Krieg said:

I don't doubt people can be reinfected, but still does not explain why the number of daily infections in those places are still so high.  It is unlikely most of the new infections are reinfections.

Testing probably plays a big part.

The cases have shot up since the easy self tests became available.The cases have always been there just that no one knew about them.

2 minutes ago, Keleth said:

Testing probably plays a big part.

The cases have shot up since the easy self tests became available.The cases have always been there just that no one knew about them.

I was not talking about Germany.